PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other (Spell) Variations on *Shield Other* (PEACH)

DracoDei
2016-04-24, 06:26 PM
For the multitargetting versions of these spells I have used +3 spell levels rather than the normal +4 levels because there is diminishing returns to sharing damage/other bad stuff with multiple people at once because the caster tends to end up put out of the fight very quickly under many circumstances. I'd be pretty open to changing that to +2, and fairly open to arguments for putting it back to +4.
Other notes on how I initially selected the spell levels will be included in (())'s where I think it necessary.

Shield Many
Abjuration
Level: Clr 5, Pal 4 ((This is so fitting with the fluff for a paladin that I'm making sure they can access it pre-epic))
Target: One Creature/3 lvls ((Feb. 2020: Upgraded from One Creature/4 levels.))
As Shield Other except as above and the change of focii. The damage is divided between yourself and the creature originally taken it (so not any of this spell's other targets).

Focus
A matched set of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by the targets.

Shield Other's Body and Mind
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4 ((Same level as Neutralize Poison which works against fewer things, but has a better effect. Consider making this 3rd which makes it the level in between Neutralize Poison and Delay Poison... or maybe even 2nd.))
Target: One Creature or Corpse
As Shield Other except as follows:
No bonus to armor class or general saving throws is provided. The subject gains a +2 resistance bonus on fortitude saves

Hitpoint damage is not effected.

You share any reduction of ability scores with the target as via the same numerical rules as apply to hitpoint damage for Shield Other. This includes penalties, damage, drain, burn, etc. In the case of Feeblemind and other effects that reduce the target to a specific number* treat this as exactly as much penalty/damage/drain/whatever as would be necessary to do that if this spell were not affecting the situation. This even allows you to split the constitution loss suffered by a 1 hit-die creature being brought back to life.
*The fact that normally an ability score can not be reduced to less than zero specifically does NOT count for this. For example, if someone with an dexterity of 6 takes 8 points of dexterity damage then you each take 4 points.

Shield Many Bodies and Minds
Abjuration
Level: Clr 7
Target: One Creature or Corpse/4 lvls*
*You may mix freely between creatures and corpses in a single casting
As Shield Other's Body and Mind except as above and the change of focii. The ability score reduction is divided between yourself and the creature originally taken it (so not any of this spell's other targets).

Focus
A matched set of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by the targets.

Shield Other's Soul
Abjuration
Level: Clr 3, Pal 3 ((One level lower than Death Ward))
Target: One Creature or Corpse
As Shield Other except as follows:
No bonus to general saving throws is provided. The subject gains a +2 resistance bonus on fortitude saves.

You share any negative levels with the target as via the same numerical rules as apply to hitpoint damage for Shield Other. Recalculate the number of negative levels each of you gets every time you split negative levels with a given ally in a given encounter. Count only negative levels acquired while the ally in question was under the protection of this spell.

Shield Many Souls
Abjuration
Level: Clr 6
Target: One Creature or Corpse/4 lvls*
*You may mix freely between creatures and corpses in a single casting

As Shield Other's Soul except as above and the change of focii.

Focus

Blood Brothers
Abjuration
Level: Clr 8((Originally had it at 7 (and 1hr/lvl) which is One level higher than Bear's Endurance, Mass, two levels higher than Shield Many... should maybe bump this up further to 9th since it IS pretty boss as long as the monsters aren't over-killing enough that the arcanist dies of a hit to another of the targets. Reducing the duration could also compensate. 8th still leaves room for Soul Brothers to be higher level while pre-Epic.))
Components: V, S, DF, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Self* plus 1 target/5 levels
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates**
Spell Resistance: Yes**
*The spell fails unless it successfully effects you.
**The PLAYER/GM in control of each creature targeted decides at the time this is cast whether to count it as having the (Harmless) tag. This is functionally the same as the target deciding, except that consciousness is not required, and charm/domination are by-passed.

This spell wards the subjects and creates a mystic connection between them so that some of their wounds are transferred between them.

The subjects gain a +3 deflection bonus to AC and a +3 resistance bonus on saves.

Whenever one of the targets of this spell takes hitpoint damage, the damage is divided as evenly as possible between yourself and all the targets. This is as opposed to just between yourself and the person originally damaged. Remaining points of damage are assigned, point by point, in the following order until no more remain: first 1 to the original target, then 1 to you, and then randomly distributed to DIFFERENT remaining targets.

Focus

Soul Brothers
Abjuration
Level: Clr 9
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
As Blood Brothers except as above and as follows:
No bonus to general saving throws is provided. The subjects gain a +5 resistance bonus on fortitude saves.

You any negative levels are divided between the targets as evenly as possible. Any that can't be divided exactly are assigned in the following order: The original target, the caster of this spell, and then randomly distributed to DIFFERENT remaining targets. Recalculate the number of negative levels each of you gets every time you split negative levels in given encounter. Count only negative levels acquired while the ally in question was under the protection of this spell.

(Ability Scores Only) Brothers of Body and Mind (Just not sure of what level to make this)

(Hitpoints and Ability Scores) Brothers of Blood, Body, and Mind (9th level?)

(Negative levels) Band of Brothers, Greater (Probably Epic Level)

DracoDei
2016-04-30, 12:20 AM
44 views and no feedback makes me sad...

GaiTavMag
2016-05-01, 08:01 PM
Be less sad now.

The only thing that confuses me is "creature or corpse." Can the caster make a dead body share some of the damage? Seems odd. Cool but odd. Seems like that should be its own spell...just an idea.

DracoDei
2016-05-02, 01:52 PM
The only thing that confuses me is "creature or corpse." Can the caster make a dead body share some of the damage? Seems odd. Cool but odd. Seems like that should be its own spell...just an idea.
Nope. Doesn't let you transfer any bad stuff to a corpse, just (depending on pendantic timing issues) from a corpse. More specifically the Con loss for a 1hd creature being returned to life via something less than True Resurrection*. Perhaps I need to reword to make that more clear?

*Probably a pretty niche case now that I think about it... Perhaps I should turn it into a footnote since it is mostly flavor.

Hmmmm... the Soul ones should perhaps be able too split the XP loss for revivification for the much more common case of creatures with more than one hit die?