PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom version of 5E using OGL and SRD

NewDM
2016-04-25, 08:57 AM
I'm tempted to use the 5E SRD and OGL that it is released under to create a unique system that plays about 70% like 5e.

My goals are:

Keep Advantage/Disadvantage for replacing fiddly +'s during play and for situational bonuses.
Allow Advantage/Disadvantage to stack, taking the one with the highest number of sources.
Tweak the classes to fit better into the "War as Sport" or "Fun as an Obstacle Course" style play
Include Class Options (sub-classes) that have the 4e style AEDU build along with others that replicate earlier editions.
Move the Rogues 'skill monkey' features into a sub-class, feat, or background.
Make more robust backgrounds.

I'll add more as I think of it.

If you are interested please let me know. I might release it on DriveThruRPG or somewhere else.

JNAProductions
2016-04-25, 11:14 AM
I'm tempted to use the 5E SRD and OGL that it is released under to create a unique system that plays about 70% like 5e.

My goals are:

Keep Advantage/Disadvantage for replacing fiddly +'s during play and for situational bonuses.
Allow Advantage/Disadvantage to stack, taking the one with the highest number of sources.
Tweak the classes to fit better into the "War as Sport" or "Fun as an Obstacle Course" style play
Include Class Options (sub-classes) that have the 4e style AEDU build along with others that replicate earlier editions.
Move the Rogues 'skill monkey' features into a sub-class, feat, or background.
Make more robust backgrounds.

I'll add more as I think of it.

If you are interested please let me know. I might release it on DriveThruRPG or somewhere else.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

One idea I actually had for advantage stacking was each level of advantage requires one more source.

So, here's how it goes"

1 Sources of Advantage-roll 2 dice, take the highest.
2 Sources of Advantage-roll 2 dice, take the highest
3 Sources of Advantage-roll 3 dice, take the highest
6 Sources of Advantage-roll 4 dice, take the highest

So first advantage requires one source, the next requires two more, the next three more, so on and so forth.

NewDM
2016-04-25, 03:53 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

One idea I actually had for advantage stacking was each level of advantage requires one more source.

So, here's how it goes"

1 Sources of Advantage-roll 2 dice, take the highest.
2 Sources of Advantage-roll 2 dice, take the highest
3 Sources of Advantage-roll 3 dice, take the highest
6 Sources of Advantage-roll 4 dice, take the highest

So first advantage requires one source, the next requires two more, the next three more, so on and so forth.

I was thinking more 2 dice every time, but if you have 3 sources of advantage and 2 sources of disadvantage you would still roll advantage.

NewDM
2016-04-25, 07:01 PM
I'm expanding Bounded Accuracy by changing the proficiency bonus to:

level/bonus
1/1
2/2
3/2
4/3
5/3
6/4
7/4
8/5
9/5
10/6
11/6
12/7
13/7
14/8
15/8
16/9
17/9
18/10
19/10
20/11

I'm also moving feats out of class progression and moving them into character progression. Then fighters get several bonus feats that they can pick from lists at certain levels.

Davout1806
2016-05-01, 10:27 AM
How I handle stacking of advantages: mnt-reddoors.blogspot.com/2015/05/im-rules-junkie-degrees-of.html

Zman
2016-05-01, 09:26 PM
I'm expanding Bounded Accuracy by changing the proficiency bonus to:

level/bonus
1/1
2/2
3/2
4/3
5/3
6/4
7/4
8/5
9/5
10/6
11/6
12/7
13/7
14/8
15/8
16/9
17/9
18/10
19/10
20/11

I'm also moving feats out of class progression and moving them into character progression. Then fighters get several bonus feats that they can pick from lists at certain levels.

What is the purpose of vastly increasing the Proficiency range and how are you planning to compensate for ACs and Saves etc across the board and for Monsters. These changes would be good for skills, but would vastly ruin bounded accuracy in almost every other situation.

Final Hyena
2016-05-02, 03:55 AM
What is the purpose of vastly increasing the Proficiency range and how are you planning to compensate for ACs and Saves etc across the board and for Monsters. These changes would be good for skills, but would vastly ruin bounded accuracy in almost every other situation.

I concur.
On the one hand you want the simplicity of advantage over endless +x's, but you want each level to increase your talents. The two ideas don't mesh together easily, especially when you stick to the design of having 20 levels.