PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] You are a level 20 Wizard. You have three minutes to save the world.

The Vagabond
2016-04-25, 06:22 PM
As listed above; You are a level 20 Wizard//(Anything). You, your demiplane, and everything you own are teleported to earth, when you hear that the earth is about to be nuked to the stone age with fifteen thousand nukes currently in the air. You have thirty rounds to save as many people as you can, can you do it? If so, how?

Afterwords, you have to deal with society after that; Any exploits you used are used freely among the people, and you have to keep society from generating people who will kill everyone.

Edit: If you do not comply, you are removed from existence completely, no save, no SR, nothing, you just cease to exist.

Rules:

No Wish spells.
No Epic Spells
Any cheese you use is used by the populus, and should not kill everyone.
Edit: No time travel shenanigans.
Bonus: Can you do it without Simulacrum? What about without a Demiplane?

What is the least-cheesy method to save the earth?

Edit: For this purpose, Earth is not a dead magic plane. All your magic works here. Gods begin to appear (Feel free to encourage atheism though), and many people are so feverishly devoted to ideals that they can become clerics. After you save the earth, D&D stuff begins to show up.

Bonus: All nuclear power facilities are also set to melt down in addition to this, but you instead have forty rounds to save the world.

Beardbarian
2016-04-25, 06:38 PM
Just cast this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b). Now you have all the time you need.

GreyBlack
2016-04-25, 06:53 PM
Time Stop, scry, teleport, forcecage, planeshift back to a timeless plane, repeat.

Ruethgar
2016-04-25, 06:54 PM
Well, we are considered a dead magic zone that the gods don't listen to. So first thing's first, I'm a Chosen of Mystra. So that makes me the only one able to use magic and only in places I decide. If SS is available, then casters could arise that transmute themselves into Chosen, but there would be no Sorcerous bloodlines unless I had kids, the only spell book is mine, so no wizards, I didn't bring the gods with me. Druids might still pop up, and Rangers, but they would be rare and I wouldn't mind them having magic so much. Plus they would need insane knowledge of things that don't exist in our world to even begin to be able to do magic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-25, 07:04 PM
Make ardent your other gestalt side. Look at the incoming apocalypse, yawn, and hit the planet with a sphere-Sculpted forcecage Widened enough to protect it from every nuke out there. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20479986&postcount=295)

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 07:40 PM
Become pun-pun. Stop nukes because ya know overdeity stuff. Stop all beings that attempt to pun-pun because overdeity stuff. Profit. Also pun-pun yourself to time lord status and then ya know send out neutron golems to police your rule of reality. And meet up with Cthuhlu every other wensday for a friendly game of magic the gathering. And make fun of azotha and attempt to awaken him to see if reality is actually all in his crazy dreaming mind.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-25, 07:51 PM
Become pun-pun. Stop nukes because ya know overdeity stuff. Stop all beings that attempt to pun-pun because overdeity stuff. Profit. Also pun-pun yourself to time lord status and then ya know send out neutron golems to police your rule of reality. And meet up with Cthuhlu every other wensday for a friendly game of magic the gathering. And make fun of azotha and attempt to awaken him to see if reality is actually all in his crazy dreaming mind.Yes, yes. The answer to everything is Pun-Pun. That's no fun-fun, so there's not much point in pointing that out, dum-dum. :smallbiggrin:

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 07:55 PM
Yes, yes. The answer to everything is Pun-Pun. That's no fun-fun, so there's not much point in pointing that out, dum-dum. :smallbiggrin:

Hey you said as a 20th level wizard. Whats the difference? I thought 20th level wizard=God status anyway xD I mean litteraly anything is possible as a 20th level wizard. Also that's just what I would do. Cud ya know why not terrorize Lovecraftian mythos as a time lord

2016-04-25, 07:56 PM
Wizard 20//Artificer 20. Have a custom item of at-will Command Word Time Stop (because why wouldn't you have one?), and proceed to make good use of it. Now, while time is stopped for however long it takes you to accomplish your task, put a solid Forcecage around every nuke; if a nuke is too large for a single solid Forcecage, use enough solid Forcecages to form a wall around the nuke. Run out of spell slots? Use your Time Stop magic item to cast Time Stop however many times is necessary to give you a full rest, and replenish your spell slots. Once every nuke has been Forcecage'd appropriately, let the Time Stops run out...and enjoy the greatest firework show in existence.

This is similar to the "plane shift to a timeless plane" thing; any method that lets you abuse Time Stop an infinite number of times will let you win without anybody (or anything) getting hurt.

2016-04-25, 07:58 PM
Hey you said as a 20th level wizard. Whats the difference? I thought 20th level wizard=God status anyway xD I mean litteraly anything is possible as a 20th level wizard.

A 20th lvl Wizard is capable of anything that can be done in 3.5, but without serious cheese they're aren't capable of everything that can be done in 3.5, at least not without some serious extra time to rebuild themselves. Pun-Pun can do everything, even things that aren't normally possible in 3.5, because he can give himself new abilities that have never existed before...such as an ability that makes nukes have no effect on anything.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:00 PM
A 20th lvl Wizard is capable of anything that can be done in 3.5, but without serious cheese they're aren't capable of everything that can be done in 3.5, at least not without some serious extra time to rebuild themselves. Pun-Pun can do everything, even things that aren't normally possible in 3.5, because he can give himself new abilities that have never existed before...such as an ability that makes nukes have no effect on anything.

But a 20th level wizard has infinite time to do whatever they want. Hell just go into your Demi plane that has a radically slower time stream then earth and prep all you need (or faster if I got them missed up) also could just be a warweaver and wings of cover the earth and Nope the nukes away

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:04 PM
OK but in all seriousness. Just fly into space let the nukes go off and just let the gods clean up the mess because me myself would be a lich by 20th level and not care. I know I'm a sad sad being

Efrate
2016-04-25, 08:10 PM
Any amount of Scry/time stop/timeless plane/plane shift/forcecage shenanigans, then mind rape everyone to have no knowledge so you can smugly gloat over it unharassed. Or mind rape them to see you as the second coming/reapparance/whatever of all gods ever and let yourself and your infinite power be worshiped by all. Repeat ad naseum if other gods show up. Have a few simulacrums and/or contingencies if they blow ranks to kill you. Or infinte simulacrums using similar tricks, and let them exhaust their finite divinity while you keep coming back. Depending on rulings on divinity and source of power, just by saving everyone if you make sure they know you did it, you might easily become a diety right then and make it all easier.

Can you shadow evocation wings of cover? Just widen that to X degree. Reduce the metamagic cost to 0 and infinitely widen it so it covers earth.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:13 PM
Any amount of Scry/time stop/timeless plane/plane shift/forcecage shenanigans, then mind rape everyone to have no knowledge so you can smugly gloat over it unharassed. Or mind rape them to see you as the second coming/reapparance/whatever of all gods ever and let yourself and your infinite power be worshiped by all. Repeat ad naseum if other gods show up. Have a few simulacrums and/or contingencies if they blow ranks to kill you. Or infinte simulacrums using similar tricks, and let them exhaust their finite divinity while you keep coming back. Depending on rulings on divinity and source of power, just by saving everyone if you make sure they know you did it, you might easily become a diety right then and make it all easier.

See I like this guy. I'm glad I'm not the only person to just become a deity and be like YOLO

Coidzor
2016-04-25, 08:15 PM
OK but in all seriousness. Just fly into space let the nukes go off and just let the gods clean up the mess because me myself would be a lich by 20th level and not care. I know I'm a sad sad being

How about every person you save is one more worshiper that fuels your apotheosis to Lich-God status.

Save the world perfectly and get instantly propelled to Greater Deity and become overdeity of the crystal sphere.

2016-04-25, 08:19 PM
But a 20th level wizard has infinite time to do whatever they want. Hell just go into your Demi plane that has a radically slower time stream then earth and prep all you need (or faster if I got them missed up) also could just be a warweaver and wings of cover the earth and Nope the nukes away

I'm aware that a Wizard has a great deal of ways to deal with this "apocalypse". I was responding to your posting asking what the difference was between one all-powerful being (Wizard 20) and another (Pun-Pun). The difference exists, which was the point of my post.

This would be my most realistic answer; there's a lot of ways a wizard could pull off saving the world, but I can't imagine why most of my wizard characters would want to, unless it could maybe be used to propel them to godhood (which I can't remember of # of followers is a RAW method for or not).

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:19 PM
How about every person you save is one more worshiper that fuels your apotheosis to Lich-God status.

Save the world perfectly and get instantly propelled to Greater Deity and become overdeity of the crystal sphere.

Problem is I'm to selfish (in character) to care and if I wanted to be a deity I'd have cheated death in a different fashion and had just made myself a deity. But ya know 20th level lich is 1 level away from Demi-Lich. And what God in their right mind is gonna try messing with a Demi-Lich. Not to mention think of all the mad exp for being the lone survivor in a battle that litteraly killed 10s of billions of life forms.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:20 PM
I'm aware that a Wizard has a great deal of ways to deal with this "apocalypse". I was responding to your posting asking what the difference was between one all-powerful being (Wizard 20) and another (Pun-Pun). The difference exists, which was the point of my post.

This would be my most realistic answer; there's a lot of ways a wizard could pull off saving the world, but I can't imagine why most of my wizard characters would want to, unless it could maybe be used to propel them to godhood (which I can't remember of # of followers is a RAW method for or not).

Save the world and you have enough followers to be a greater deity. Over 7 billion is more then enough

2016-04-25, 08:26 PM
Save the world and you have enough followers to be a greater deity. Over 7 billion is more then enough

Assuming that gaining a large number of followers is sufficient to become a deity. I can't recall any RAW-complete methods of becoming a deity (other than a few methods of gaining Divine Rank 0, but that's not exactly "greater deity"). It looks like Coidzor knows though, so he probably knows which book that method is in.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 08:35 PM
Assuming that gaining a large number of followers is sufficient to become a deity. I can't recall any RAW-complete methods of becoming a deity (other than a few methods of gaining Divine Rank 0, but that's not exactly "greater deity"). It looks like Coidzor knows though, so he probably knows which book that method is in.

Deities and demigods states how many followers you need to gain divine ranks

The Vagabond
2016-04-25, 08:43 PM
Alright, made some edits to the top thread:

Time stop is recommended against.
As are Custom Magical Items.
PunPun is impossible due to no Wishes,
No time travel
Earth becomes magical after the apocalypse is adverted.
If you don't do it, you cease to exist.

Keep in mind, I'm trying to see the least cheesiest method of doing this.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-25, 08:47 PM
Alright, made some edits to the top thread:

Time stop is recommended against.
As are Custom Magical Items.
PunPun is impossible due to no Wishes,
No time travel
Earth becomes magical after the apocalypse is adverted.
If you don't do it, you cease to exist.Well, I did it in one standard action without any of the above, and nobody would know what happened, other than a shimmering dome appeared for a few minutes (until I dismiss it after the smoke fallout clears. Does that count?

Keep in mind, I'm trying to see the least cheesiest method of doing this.Just about anything that works will be cheesy, really. Are these nukes all over the world at this point?

The Vagabond
2016-04-25, 08:50 PM
Well, I did it in one standard action without any of the above, and nobody would know what happened, other than a shimmering dome appeared for a few minutes (until I dismiss it after the smoke fallout clears. Does that count?

Just about anything that works will be cheesy, really. Are these nukes all over the world at this point?
Oh the other hand, I heartily disagree with your interpertation of the Mantle thing. I do not believe that either Forcecage actually fits with the mantle in question, nor is it eligible to be chosen, since it's a spell, and not a power; An erudite being able to cast the spell as a power does not a power make.
On the other hand, you did solve the question, even with incredibly shaky bases. So yeah, you did it. Now you have Ardents who spam eveneration everywhere, and now rain just stops.

For the most part, I'm talking more along the lines of Custom Magic items of X, or abusing Timeless demiplanes. Stuff that bends the rule until it breaks, or requires exceedingly favorable DM Adjudication. Basically, if you can get it past the DM without his permission, it's fine.

Coidzor
2016-04-25, 08:53 PM
Problem is I'm to selfish (in character) to care and if I wanted to be a deity I'd have cheated death in a different fashion and had just made myself a deity. But ya know 20th level lich is 1 level away from Demi-Lich. And what God in their right mind is gonna try messing with a Demi-Lich. Not to mention think of all the mad exp for being the lone survivor in a battle that litteraly killed 10s of billions of life forms.

All big, fat 0 of it.

Plenty of interesting undead that could be after that or which would naturally occur, though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-25, 08:55 PM
Oh the other hand, I heartily disagree with your interpertation of the Mantle thing. I do not believe that either Forcecage actually fits with the mantle in question, nor is it eligible to be chosen, since it's a spell, and not a power; An erudite being able to cast the spell as a power does not a power make.It would be ridiculously easy to manipulate things to get a fission clone with levels in StP erudite and access to psychic chirurgery to implant the requisite powers into me, do a quick retrain to add said powers onto a power-subbed mantle, and snub your nose at the naysayers.

Basically, it's doable, even if you have to manipulate things to get them there. Disagreeing with the rules doesn't make them not the rules, and you don't actually have to manipulate the rules to get around the "I don't believe they can" stuff, but if there are (for some reason) objections to what is RAW, you still can get around them.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 09:00 PM
All big, fat 0 of it.

Plenty of interesting undead that could be after that or which would naturally occur, though.

I beg to differ. I mean as a dm would you really not award exp to a player who survives a apocalyptic event? Really?

Âmesang
2016-04-25, 09:03 PM
Any chance a shadow adept or similar class could conjure forth a 100% real shadow version of Superman and just have it/"him" save the world? :smallconfused:

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 09:05 PM
Any chance a shadow adept or similar class could conjure forth a 100% real shadow version of Superman and just have it/"him" save the world? :smallconfused:

You mean a 120% real Superman xD

Coidzor
2016-04-25, 09:35 PM
I beg to differ. I mean as a dm would you really not award exp to a player who survives a apocalyptic event? Really?

Why would I award players XP for being on the moon watching the earth being reduced to ash by actinic fire unless they actively escaped there to avoid dying in the apocalypse?

The wizard is safe and sound in his demiplane and under no risk. It makes no more sense to award him XP for that than to instantly level a bunch of first level characters from 1 to 4 because of a series of bloody battles on the other side of the planet happened while they were resting.

Ruethgar
2016-04-25, 11:14 PM
You do know you don't need the worshipers to become a god, Mirror Mephit Improved Familiars and the Beggar God are a thing.

Belzyk
2016-04-25, 11:19 PM
You do know you don't need the worshipers to become a god, Mirror Mephit Improved Familiars and the Beggar God are a thing.

Also ice assassin is a thing xD can't forget that it's able to kill gods and considering it's your spell your able to absorb their divine ranks

GreyBlack
2016-04-25, 11:42 PM
Okay, so. We have 15000 nuclear weapons to deal with and time stop/forcecage etc. Shenanigans are frowned upon. The answer, obviously, is to gate in a Solar, tell it the deal, causing it to call forth the legions of the Heavens to deal with the threat. If the Solar refuses, Dominate and profit.

Or, if you prefer, Faustian Pact with Mephisto, Mephisto installs you as leader of the planet under his command in exchange for all of the souls (except yours) currently living on this planet if he commands the forces of Hell to save the planet. Open a gate for the forces of hell to pour through. Profit.

Coidzor
2016-04-25, 11:54 PM

It's more stylish and gives you more god-cred to actually have worshipers though. :smalltongue:

Besides, if you've got a helpless planet of 7 billion+ souls at your mercy, why not go ahead and use them in foul blood rituals to achieve godhood and rule over the survivors before expanding your consciousness to more crystal spheres?

meschlum
2016-04-26, 01:38 AM
Gate in a Solar, or something equally capable of casting Gate twice and Teleport. You have a very short task for it: Gate in two more Solars then Teleport to a nuke and eliminate it.

After 1 round, you have 1 Solar.
After 2 rounds, you have 2 Solars.
After 3 rounds, you have 4 Solars.
After 4 rounds, you have 7 Solars.
After 5 rounds, you have 12 Solars.
After 6 rounds, you have 20 Solars.
After 7 rounds, you have 33 Solars.
After 8 rounds, you have 54 Solars.
After 9 rounds, you have 88 Solars.
After 10 rounds, you have 143 Solars.
After 11 rounds, you have 232 Solars.
After 12 rounds, you have 376 Solars.
After 13 rounds, you have 609 Solars.
After 14 rounds, you have 986 Solars.
After 15 rounds, you have 1596 Solars.
After 16 rounds, you have 2583 Solars.
After 17 rounds, you have 4180 Solars.
After 18 rounds, you have 6764 Solars.
After 19 rounds, you have 10945 Solars.
After 20 rounds, you have 17710 Solars.

As an alternative, keep on Gating in Solars, and have them Teleport to each human you want to preserve, then Plane Shift somewhere safe. This is worse for the environment, and you might not get all of humanity.

Malroth
2016-04-26, 01:51 AM
Just a note, Pun Pun does not require Wish in any version except the one that pulled it off at lv 1, Assume Supernatural ability, Metamorphic transfer or even Shapechange all can give the Manipulate Form power without Wish shenanagins.

As for taking out the Nukes chaining Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusions will allow an Infinite number of 4th and below level castings so you could repeatedly dimension door to every missile and take it out with orbs of force within a single round for the cost of 1 feat and a standard action.

Troacctid
2016-04-26, 02:43 AM
As for taking out the Nukes chaining Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusions will allow an Infinite number of 4th and below level castings so you could repeatedly dimension door to every missile and take it out with orbs of force within a single round for the cost of 1 feat and a standard action.

Unfortunately this requires a sorcerer, not a wizard, as Greater Arcane Fusion is a sorcerer-only spell.

ben-zayb
2016-04-26, 06:02 AM
It's a pretty misleading title, considering the world itself doesn't need anyone's help from some puny sparks we refer to as nuclear warheads.:smallconfused:

Responding to the actual post, just gestalt with something that can UMD decently. Polymorph into a Shaedling (MM5) and use Shadow Gossamer a Wand of Resilient Sphere with a CL high enough to shield the world from every nuke at the shortest amount of time. That's doable by, what, around ECL 7?

Alternatively, abuse Sadism for +YES to skills. Make sure to have a method to be airborne, then use the Lightning Thief trick with a clone (Body Outside Body) such that you can reach every nuke, then use an epic free-action Disable Device.

AnonymousPepper
2016-04-26, 06:52 AM
Here's a fun idea: boost your STR to NI level (and caster level, if you feel that you need to in order to be able to move the population with you; I don't think you do, since it's more that you're teleporting the thing you're standing on, but I could see a GM arguing as such) via whatever method you choose (there are, of course, many; Cancer Mage/Festering Anger shenanigans being the most well-known), such that the entire Earth is within your carrying capacity. Dig your hand into the ground or something, such that you are carrying the planet, and then proceed to Greater Teleport it and everything touching the ground/ocean to the other side of its orbit for the next five minutes. Then Greater Teleport it back. Problem solved.

People on planes would be screwed, as would birds in flight, but you could always True Res the people back just fine - and True Creation+Fabricate the planes if somebody got pissy about the financial loss.

Malroth
2016-04-26, 10:23 AM
There are lots of ways to get a sorcorer only spell on a gestault character including but not limited to, Staves, Craft contigent spell, Shadow craft mage or even sorcorer levels.

Segev
2016-04-26, 11:17 AM
Either use the multi-gate Solar trick above, or use Incantatar to make your Time Stop Persistant. Nest them as needed.

Either way, you or your army of Solars puts up a gate in front of each of the nukes. Pick a plane you don't like, or send 'em to the Grey Wastes (because nothing there will care).

For the bonus melting down power plants, you'll want the Persistant time stops so you can get spells back and do a lot of stuff. Encase all the power plants in walls of force, using multiple castings as necessary.

Alternatively, PAO each melting down reactor into a hunk of stone. Same size, same intelligence, same kingdom -> permanent duration. Make sure to dispose of them before the other crazy super-mages start evolving and decide to dispel them.

Coidzor
2016-04-26, 01:32 PM
Iirc, super-cooling a melting down reactor would also work, which could be as simple as several d6s of cold damage or could be as complicated as getting a quantity of that ice which refuses to melt for each reactor.

So a localized fimbulwinter or something inside each power plant might be another stylistic option.

Gildedragon
2016-04-26, 01:47 PM
See I like this guy. I'm glad I'm not the only person to just become a deity and be like YOLO
You mean: YOLAMTAYL (as many times as you like) living once alone is for chumps if you're a wizard.

For the bonus melting down power plants, you'll want the Persistant time stops so you can get spells back and do a lot of stuff. Encase all the power plants in walls of force, using multiple castings as necessary.

Alternatively, PAO each melting down reactor into a hunk of stone. Same size, same intelligence, same kingdom -> permanent duration. Make sure to dispose of them before the other crazy super-mages start evolving and decide to dispel them.

Better than PAO is Stone Metamorphosis: It has an instantaneous effect.

After that energy will be a problem though. Permanent Animate object to make dynamos spin forever might be needed

Coidzor
2016-04-26, 04:53 PM
Better than PAO is Stone Metamorphosis: It has an instantaneous effect.

After that energy will be a problem though. Permanent Animate object to make dynamos spin forever might be needed

Stone Metamorphosis will work on some fuel rods, but not others, as some are ceramics or metal or liquids.

As for making animated object dynamos, look no further than Haunt Shift. Especially if you have mindless undead work under the principle that as long as they're undisturbed, they'll keep doing their last assigned task forever.

Telonius
2016-04-26, 10:57 PM
The nukes are presumably still en route, meaning their fuel is still burning to propel them ... if you could somehow use Quench (a Druid spell) on all of them it ought to deactivate the missiles.

Get the impact points, and spread Brown Mold. It'll knock out a few thousand people, but they'll live.

Efrate
2016-04-27, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure but I think you can make all that brown mold with minor creation FWIW. Mold is pretty functionally similar if not identical to plants in dnd. It doubles in size regardless of amount of heat absorbed,so you don't even have to worry about covering the planet in it.

I still like as much time as you and mind raping/showing everyone that you're a god. You avoid any hassles then cause your drones just carry on as you want them.

DarkSonic1337
2016-04-27, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately this requires a sorcerer, not a wizard, as Greater Arcane Fusion is a sorcerer-only spell.

So grab it with Wyrm Wizard or Recaster or something

edit:Though now that I read it more closely, it still might not work since it only allows you to cast "sorcerer" spells you know.