PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Stacking

2016-04-25, 08:00 PM
Okay, so I'm pretty sure you can stack a Ring/Cloak/Ioun Stone of Protection together to get +3 AC/+2 saves, but could you wear 2 different Rings of Protection and gets +2 AC/Saves, or would they not stack for some reason? I'm unable to find any rules preventing stacking of any kind, but this feels like something that shouldn't work.

I'm mostly asking because, while it doesn't matter for this particular ring example, I'd be very interested to know that I could have 3 luckstones at once to get +3 saves/skills.

Specter
2016-04-25, 08:04 PM
Items of the same kind don't stack, as per the DMG, but the rest is an open country.

2016-04-25, 08:20 PM
Items of the same kind don't stack, as per the DMG, but the rest is an open country.

See, I'm looking through the DMG, and I'm not seeing anything. My basic assumption is that such a rule exists, and I'm just not finding it; if you could provide a page number, and possibly a quote, I'd really appreciate it.

Foxhound438
2016-04-25, 08:26 PM
DMG page 138, "Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one Ring of Protection."

Giant2005
2016-04-25, 08:35 PM
DMG page 138, "Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one Ring of Protection."

In addition to that, the errata further restricted the possibilities (I'm not even sure a Ring and Cloak of protection can stack with one another now).
DMG Errata:
Combining Game Effects (p. 252). This is a new subsection at the end of the “Combat” section: “Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap.
For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the ‘Combining Magical Effects’ section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.”

2016-04-25, 08:55 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!