PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magical Drug

Cecidimus
2016-04-25, 09:36 PM
'Emerald Water'

I just need a little help in my world building here in regards to a problem I may have created:

The two largest empires on the continent my players are going to, the Knightdom of Asmana and the Dominion of Aradia, Magic is seen as something taboo, though each empire has slightly different views.

The Knightdom of Asmana, a very Arthurian-styled kingdom, is built on strict codes of honor and chivalry and is The largest such empire on the continent; Magic is gifted to their Women by their Goddess Asmana also known as the Lady.

These Women who are given the gift of The Lady power which they primarily use for healing/protection are both feared and respected. Many have become priestesses or are given positions of power as the Voice of the Lady. The public are taught that only Women have magical talent.

However, it is a national secret that occasionally Men are born with this gift about 1/100,000. when this occurs the boy is taken from his family, trained in the temple and eventually set out on a quest; they live as hermits trained as knights and magicians and when the king calls they come to his aid (something akin to Grail Knights from Brettonia).

But as general populace doesn't know this, many have within their society sought ways to learn magic an practice the forbidden arts. as such there is a Plague in the land know as Black Magic addiction. It's effectively a potion a non magical adept person can take to give them access to Arcane magic, or a Arcane user can use it to enhance their abilites.

When designing this I had originally set out these rules:

Casters:

Regains D8 Spell slots instantly Spell slots regained in this manner must be equal to the dice roll IE ( 8= 1 Level 8 spell or 7,1. 6,2 or 6,1,1 and so on.)

+2 Cha +1 Int -1 Wisdom, Creature has a Europhic state making them feel invinciable.

Double Proficiency Bonus for Spell-casting.

However for casters who aren't careful this drug over long term periods would begin eating their spell slots as it were.

Any other suggestions or tweaks welcome ^.^

Non Caster:

Roll 3d4 and gain that many level spells, so if you roll 12 you can gain 1 ninth level spell and a 3rd level spell for instance

Or The gain spells equal to their spell slots as if they were multiclassing.

Or They Gain access to spells of level 6 or lower while under it effects.

Or They Gain 3d4 Spell points similar to the sorc and can spend to acquire spells in that manner.

Use Cha for casting spells in this Manner

Temp Stat bonus of +2 CHA +1 Int and -1 wisdom, longer use would make the -1 permanent after a point, as well as cause the victim madness as previously discussed.

Long term users would notice diminishing returns requiring more of the drug to get the same effects. On sets of Madness and eventually the possibility of being burnt alive by the arcane over flow aka Mana burn.

The Drug can be acquired readily through black market sources. Drug users can be identified by a small creeping black rash which worse over time and repeated use to eventually cover their whole body.

the lower level goons are the ones burnt out on the potion, mindless and weak, mostly useless to their leaders beyond simple fodder. The more useful goons are those with a clearer mind, those who still have some uses left with the potion and access to higher levels of spells. The clearest of mind and purpose may only resort to using the potion as a last resort, leaving them with full potency and a clear mind. The potion provides not only a clear power hierarchy among the goons but also a social hierarchy to go along with it.

To Prevent Addiction the Player if they indulged would be making either a Increasingly difficult Con save or Wisdom save. Thais one of the questions I am curious to get thoughts on which it should be.

Should mention that the effects of the potion last to you take a long rest.

Questions:

What other reasons might someone have for using this drug?

Curious about how long do you think it would take for someone to become addicted to this type of thing, IE what should the base save be and should it be Wis or Con? and DC?

Are their any other Draw backs you would add, or is Madness/Eating spell lots too much of a penalty over long term use?

Does it need any more fleshing out? Does it sound okay or am I just worried about nothing.

Also do you think maybe it should take a whole round before they get these magical buffs etc.

Please any opinions, insights or comments are welcome :) If I can provide you with any additonal info I will do.

Added as suggestions based on comments from Ninja Prawn

Addiction Level
Befits
Withdrawal (Curable by taking another dose)
Permanent side effects (Not curable by taking another dose)
Additional Effects

1d8 spell slots
Mild headache/Deafened 1 minute
None
None

1d8 spell slots
Partial Amnesia (76-85 Madness rules DM GUIDE)
None
None

1d6 spell slots
Poisoned 4 Hours
You dont regain spell slots equal to the D6 roll at your next long rest
None

1d6 spell slots
Poisoned 8 Hours
Only can only use 1/3 HD Per long rest, Due to terrible Nightmares, Fail to regain spent spell slots upon 1st long rest.
None

1d4 spell slots
Poisoned' for 8 hours
do not regain spent slots on next long rest, Light Sensitivity Trait gained
Gains new flaw "I can't stop myself from drinking emerald water when it's on offer"

1d4 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 24 hours
, do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 10 minutes, cannot cast spells for 1 hour, -1 Cha, forget one spell known
Experiences vivid Hallucinations granting disadvantage on attack rolls for until you take your next dose

1d3 Spell slots
Poisoned' for 24 hours
do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 1 hour, cannot cast spells for 8 hours -1 Wis (in addition to previous levels)
Gain 1 level of permanent Madness. Gain Flaw "I am quick to outburst of anger when someone tries to take my Emerald water, Or says I have a problem"[/td]

1d3 Spell Slots
'Poisoned 48' Hours
do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 1 hour, cannot cast spells for 8 hours -1 Int, and Cha (in addition to previous levels)
Gain 1 level of permanent Madness. Gain Flaw "I will do anything to get Emerald Water." Roll on Wild Magic table

1 Spell slot
Poisoned 72 Hours
do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 4 hour, cannot cast spells for 8 hours -1 Int, Wis (in addition to previous levels)
Whenever a user rolls natural 20 on a critical make a Wisdom Save, on a failure the Arcane energies flow through you and your body is turned into arcane conduit which will explode (thunder wave spell) // Roll on Wild Magic table when casting

1 Spell Slot
Poisoned 72 Hours
do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 1 hour and Paralyzed 1 hour, cannot cast spells for 8 hours -1 Int, Wis and Cha (in addition to previous levels)
Gain Flaw: :I don't trust anyone, I know they took my emerald water I just have to find it!"

Regain no Spell slots
Blinded and Paralyzed for 3 hours
-1INT, WIS, CHA (in addition to previous levels) cannot cast spells for 8 hours, May only cast level 2 spells or lower.
Will explode on critical roll, Critical range expanded to 18-20, Gain 1 Level of Madness

Foxhound438
2016-04-26, 01:03 AM
Casters:

Regains D8 Spell slots instantly Spell slots regained in this manner must be equal to the dice roll IE ( 8= 1 Level 8 spell or 7,1. 6,2 or 6,1,1 and so on.)

+2 Cha +1 Int -1 Wisdom, Creature has a Europhic state making them feel invinciable.

Double Proficiency Bonus for Spell-casting.

However for casters who aren't careful this drug over long term periods would begin eating their spell slots as it were.

Any other suggestions or tweaks welcome ^.^

Maybe add to the end make a con save of increasing DC or suffer withdrawl; start with a long-term temporary -1 to cha, later add -1 int, then another -1 cha, then another -1 int (all of which being cumulative, and drinking another doesn't cancel the effects directly, ie with 4 levels of addiction you would have net 0 cha, net -1 int, and otherwise are at -2/-2)

also should set a time limit, i.e. ends early at the next long rest you take, so you couldn't cheese it by keeping one slot forever.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-26, 04:05 AM
I would consider codifying and writing up the addiction/withdrawal symptoms. This drug offers some huge benefits (particularly I'm looking at double proficiency to spell attacks and allowing 9th-level slots for any level character*) and given that you've already decided it has a cost, it's only fair to treat that cost as an element of game balancing.

Something like this (note that I have not put any thought into balancing it, it's just random words to illustrate the point)...

Addiction Level
Benefit
Withdrawal (cured by taking another dose)
Permanent Damage (not healed by removing addiction)

0 (not addicted)
1d8 spell slots
Mild headache (no mechanical effect)
None

1d8 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 1 hour
None

1d6 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 8 hours
Lose one first level slot permanently

1d6 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 8 hours, do not regain spent slots on next long rest
Only regain 1/3 of total hit dice on a long rest due to nightmares

1d4 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 8 hours, do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 1 minute
-1 Int, Wis, gains new flaw "I can't stop myself from drinking emerald water when it's on offer"

1d4 spell slots
'Poisoned' for 24 hours, do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 10 minutes, cannot cast spells for 1 hour
-1 Cha, forget one spell known

1 spell slot
'Poisoned' for 24 hours, do not regain spent slots on next long rest, blinded for 1 hour, cannot cast spells for 8 hours
-1 Int, Wis and Cha (in addition to previous levels)

Definitely agree with Con saves to resist going up an addiction level, and the DC increasing every time you take a dose (maybe resetting on a failure, if that's not too much to keep track of). I'd start at 10 and add one for each consecutive success. And it should be possible to recover from addiction (without magic; Greater Restoration and suchlike should work too) - maybe your addiction level drops by 1 if you don't take any drug for a week.

*This is probably a bad idea. Spell levels in 5e are very carefully set so as to gate certain abilities away from characters before they reach certain levels. Notice in particular how hitting 5th level suddenly gives you access to a huge swathe of spells that open up new adventuring possibilities. Fly. Sending. Dispel Magic. Glyph of Warding. Then you go from spells that dominate encounters at spell level 6 (Arcane Gate, Chain Lightning, Harm, Heal, Otto's Irresistible Dance) to spells that change the world at spell level 7 (Mirage Arcane, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Resurrection, Simularcrum, Teleport).

Also, when you're giving a non-caster spell slots/points, how do you determine which spells they know? I feel like that should be specified.

Cecidimus
2016-04-26, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys this helping so much ^.^

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-26, 07:50 AM
What if rather than Blinded for 1 minute we replaced it with sunlight sensitivity from the drow etc

That's entirely up to you. Like I said, that table is there to illustrate a point (the main point being 'you need a table'); you should feel free to change anything in it.