PDA

View Full Version : Unsettling Encounters

Cardea
2016-04-25, 10:04 PM
What's the most unsettling situation, creature or encounter has a DM put you up against?

DigoDragon
2016-04-26, 06:05 AM
Bloody Mary in a modern X-Files campaign. My character (Amaya, arcane mystic) and another PC (Ronnie, martial artist) were investigating the home of a murdered person of interest. The person who died had their eyes gouged out, but no other significant bodily harm was done. We thought the murderer was some sick person with a fetish for eyes.

As we search the house, Ronnie thought he saw someone duck into the bathroom. We entered and saw Bloody Mary in the mirror. She looked like a drowned child, about 15-16 years old. She had a knife which she flashed at us. This actually hurt us physically somehow, even though she's just a mirror reflection. Ronnie kicked the mirror and shattered it, but she was still in one of the bigger pieces and slashed us again.

We got out of the bathroom and noticed she didn't come out to chase us. Then Ronnie spotted her in the bedroom mirror and he took more damage. She then followed us to the mirror in the hallway, the other bedroom... we started to bleed through our eyes and we had terrible headaches.

We quickly figured out that it was the act of making eye contact with her in a mirror that she can attack our eyes directly. We stumbled out of the house through a window, avoiding the mirrors in the living room. We got to the car and I called the other PCs. Ronnie started the engine and... realized the car has rear-view mirrors. She appeared in one and we freaked out, jumping out of the car while it rolled out of the driveway into the street. Medics arrived and took us to the hospital. Thankfully, Mary did not chase us past the driveway.

Both our characters were quite unsettled with the encounter. Made us realize how many mirrors we use or pass by in a given day.

Inevitability
2016-04-26, 06:22 AM
Bloody Mary in a modern X-Files campaign. My character (Amaya, arcane mystic) and another PC (Ronnie, martial artist) were investigating the home of a murdered person of interest. The person who died had their eyes gouged out, but no other significant bodily harm was done. We thought the murderer was some sick person with a fetish for eyes.

As we search the house, Ronnie thought he saw someone duck into the bathroom. We entered and saw Bloody Mary in the mirror. She looked like a drowned child, about 15-16 years old. She had a knife which she flashed at us. This actually hurt us physically somehow, even though she's just a mirror reflection. Ronnie kicked the mirror and shattered it, but she was still in one of the bigger pieces and slashed us again.

We got out of the bathroom and noticed she didn't come out to chase us. Then Ronnie spotted her in the bedroom mirror and he took more damage. She then followed us to the mirror in the hallway, the other bedroom... we started to bleed through our eyes and we had terrible headaches.

We quickly figured out that it was the act of making eye contact with her in a mirror that she can attack our eyes directly. We stumbled out of the house through a window, avoiding the mirrors in the living room. We got to the car and I called the other PCs. Ronnie started the engine and... realized the car has rear-view mirrors. She appeared in one and we freaked out, jumping out of the car while it rolled out of the driveway into the street. Medics arrived and took us to the hospital. Thankfully, Mary did not chase us past the driveway.

Both our characters were quite unsettled with the encounter. Made us realize how many mirrors we use or pass by in a given day.

This story made me glance around my room looking for mirrors. Thankfully, there were none.

Well, unless reflecting surfaces count, in which case I'm screwoihwtoihaoiwghaiwlng3pj2PJ

DigoDragon
2016-04-26, 07:04 AM
This story made me glance around my room looking for mirrors. Thankfully, there were none.

Well, unless reflecting surfaces count, in which case I'm screwoihwtoihaoiwghaiwlng3pj2PJ

As an addendum to my story, this game occurred with a local group and the GM had a really good poker face. I think that helped creep us out a bit.

Quertus
2016-04-26, 10:12 AM
IMO, nothing is quite as unsettling as having the right (wrong?) player playing a cultist of Slanesh. Although being stranded on a world with a near skeletal crew of former crash survivor descendents, adrift on an ocean of blood... no, not even a close second.