PDA

View Full Version : Using Warlock Spell Slots

Dr. Cliché
2016-04-26, 07:59 AM
I don't know if this is a silly question, but what do you think the best uses of warlock spell slots are? (Please don't say 'spells'.)

I'm just curious because for most of the game they have just 2 spell slots. I know you get them back when you finish a short rest, but even so. And, of course, you have an excellent damage cantrip in the form of Eldritch Blast.

So, what do you tend to use your spell slots for? Do you use them for extra damage/utility - like Hex, Vampiric Touch or Blight? Do you use them for in-combat defence/utility like Mirror Image, Counterspell, Hold Person? Do you use them for out of combat stuff like Fly and Dimension Door?

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-26, 08:05 AM
I don't know if this is a silly question, but what do you think the best uses of warlock spell slots are? (Please don't say 'spells'.)

I'm just curious because for most of the game they have just 2 spell slots. I know you get them back when you finish a short rest, but even so. And, of course, you have an excellent damage cantrip in the form of Eldritch Blast. Our group is young yet, but most of what I've been using my Warlocks spells for is support: Faerie Fire on enemies, Hold Person, etc.

Have been discussing with the group what spells they want me to carry when I hit 5, will update when we get there.

TuesdayTastic
2016-04-26, 08:16 AM
I am not the most versed warlock player, but when I created a level 20 warlock as a DM the spells I picked out were typically ones that supplemented my combat. (He's a bladelock). Hex was a great spell because it gives great damage, and can combo into other nasty spells such as Hold Person. Other spells I use are more for utility. Fly is a good example of this, and Scrying. Overall though, the spells I picked were dependent on my characters personality, and the way he fought.

Blue Lantern
2016-04-26, 08:19 AM
As with all classes with limited spells known your choice depends on what role do you want, what the other party members bring to the table, etc.
The best thing is trying to keep the spells usefulness broad and then use what you need, when you need it.

Usually Hex is to go spell, always useful, then is up to you.

For pact of the blade Armor of Agathis is a nice spell to use, especially at low levels.
If archefey, Faerie Fire is amazing.

Gastronomie
2016-04-26, 08:20 AM
I actually think it's most of the time better to use the spells that scale instead of those that don't (for instance, Misty Step is a wonderful spell, but not so much when you can cast Fly or something with the same slot). If you want versality, Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass works amazing 'cause it lets you use certain non-scaling low-level spells again and again.

sxmedicus
2016-04-26, 08:28 AM
Certainly for DPS you would like to Hex and to lvl5 bestow curse on the enemy for a nice concentration based +1d6 necrotic and a non-concentration based +1d8 necrotic bonus damage

For survivability Fly/Darkness on self + a slot on hold for Misty step

For CC: Hunger of hadar or Evards black tentacles

Personaly I like Darkness on self with Devil eyes

Segev
2016-04-26, 08:32 AM
A few "tricks" to consider (all requiring multiclass):

A warlock/sorcerer can use his short-rest spell slots to fuel Sorcery Points when he hasn't used them for spells, just before a short rest. These can convert BACK into spell slots, or be used for metamagic.
A warlock who takes even one level of druid or cleric gains all of their spell lists (at least for 1st level spells) as potential spells, and adds 1+WisMod spells to his repertoire. He can change those spells out daily.
A warlock who takes even one level of wizard gains a similar boost to spells available, and a spellbook. This is not particularly good when overlapped with Pact of the Tome, though.
Taking one level in all three of those classes would actually give 3+(2xWisMod)+(IntMod) extra spells ready each day. Admittedly, again, all 1st level, but choose ones that scale with spell slot... highly versatile

This is, again, multiclassing, though.

imneuromancer
2016-04-26, 10:21 AM
Have played up to about 10th level with a warlock and had some higher level one shots.

For lower levels: Blast with hex, hex their strength so that your fighter, bard, or barbarian can push them around. Take the invocation that moves targets 10 feet and push people wherever you want them.

Then when you have the chance Hunger of Hadar to wreck it.

At higher levels: polymorph.

SmartAlec13
2016-04-26, 01:34 PM
I only got to play till lvl 4 on my Warlock, so I ended up going the cheesy Warlock-Sorceror route (lvl 5 power spike is HUGE burst).

I personally focused around the Eldritch Blast, so my other spells were mainly CC/out of combat spells, other than Hex.

Theodoxus
2016-04-26, 02:39 PM
Haven't played a 'lock yet, but I've DM'd 2 and played with 2 others in games... Hex is the no-brainer, but the 10th level 'lock used a lot of movement spells. Fly while sniping the chasing dragon; Dimension Door to escape the rampaging lizard folk followed by gaseous form to float away to safety...

That player is now playing a bladelock who's using more melee centric spells. Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar, etc. He's mentioned picking up Evard's at 7th for even more control.

There really isn't any specific 'best of' warlock spell combinations - it really depends on their pact and patron. For instance, the 10th level 'lock went Tome and was stealing rituals from every source he could find. He was the Leomund's Tiny Hut caster, the Alarm setter, the Identifier... even though we had a wizard in the party...

Tanarii
2016-04-26, 02:48 PM
As much versatility as possible is key to Warlock spell selection. You only get two slots per short rest, but by 10th level you've already got 10 spells known. Unlike Sorcerer or Rangers, Warlocks don't really feel the pinch of limited spells known.

The main thing is not to pigeonhole yourself. If you only think about Hex and Armor of Agathys, now you're out of spell slots. (Unless you somehow maintain concentration until the end of the fight. IMX that's pretty damn rare.)