PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Advantages-strike

Renetkrent
2016-04-26, 04:57 PM
Welcome to this post,

I am a new Dm, i am gonna d&d for a new group 2 new players.
I am gonna use 3.5 with some alterrations from 5th edition, like advantage-disadvantage.

I created a feat for advantage in combat can u plz rate-or say if u think its broken or to weak.

Advantages-Strike

Prerequisite: Full bab, 6+bab,

Benefit:on your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may give up your BaB for advantage with every attack.

Lets see what u think :smallbiggrin:

Final Hyena
2016-04-26, 05:29 PM
If I understand it correctly it is a nice boon for levels 6/7, but after that it gets progressively worse.

Glimbur
2016-04-28, 08:11 PM
Advantage lets you roll twice and keep the better, right?

This is a no-brainer if you're looking for a 20 to hit anyway. Some synergy with Power Attack, Combat Expertise, and other stuff that lets you tank your to-hit for bonuses.

It also makes it easier to threaten a crit, which may be useful to some people.

I think a re-roll is worth about +5 in to-hit, but I don't want to look up or do the math.

This helps your iterative attacks by making them ~equal to your primary, which is interesting.

I don't think I would use it often as a player, and that means I wouldn't take the feat. Might emulate it with Heroics or something in the occasion when it is useful.

Is it necessary to limit it to full BAB characters? That's not a typical rule, and the +6 BAB restriction does make fighters etc get this sooner.

Final Hyena
2016-04-28, 08:35 PM
It also makes it easier to threaten a crit, which may be useful to some people.
It's been so long for me I forgot how insane crits are. The feat combined with a crit build is pretty crazy (I assume 3.5 can do similar crits to PF).
Going from 6/20 to 10.2/20 would be nifty, you can completely forget any need to buff attacks.

Siosilvar
2016-04-28, 08:36 PM
I think a re-roll is worth about +5 in to-hit, but I don't want to look up or do the math.

Depends on the target number. It's equivalent to +5 if you needed an 11 to hit beforehand, but it's worth less as you move towards the extremes (+4 at 7/15, +3 at 5/17, +2 at 3/19, +1 at 2/20).

http://anydice.com/program/83f0 ; switch to "at least" for the relevant distributions.

nonsi
2016-04-28, 09:07 PM
I don't remember ever seeing BAB progression rate as prereq. Seems weird and unjustified.
If you really have to, make it Fighter class levels, and say that for each +6 you trade, you get an additional d20 roll, taking the best result.