PDA

View Full Version : PAO + Fabricate + Dispel = ???

Gildedragon
2016-04-26, 05:20 PM
This came out of another thread: what would happen if one PAOed a large gemstone into an equivalently sized lump of metal (same kingdom, same size, same intelligence = permanent) and one then Fabricated a bunch of nails with it, and then hit the nails with Dispel. Do the nails turn into smaller gems? The one gem? A bunch of nail-shaped gems? Or has the fabricate transformed the original steel such that there is nothing to dispel?

Snowbluff
2016-04-26, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't you roll against both spells (I'm assuming Permanent is still a duration), and then find out what happens? But only the PAO can be changed, so I would just make gem nails.

Silva Stormrage
2016-04-26, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't you roll against both spells (I'm assuming Permanent is still a duration), and then find out what happens? But only the PAO can be changed, so I would just make gem nails.

Fabricate is instantaneous so it can't be dispelled but thats how I imagine the interaction would work. And if the material components can no longer support the item in question the item would break/fall apart.

Snowbluff
2016-04-26, 07:57 PM
Fabricate is instantaneous so it can't be dispelled but thats how I imagine the interaction would work. And if the material components can no longer support the item in question the item would break/fall apart.

Yeah, I said you can only dispel the PAO.

Ergo, if you make rope into steel, and the steel into nails, your nails would become rope and fall apart. :p

Âmesang
2016-04-26, 10:04 PM
Could you polymorph any object a person into plankton, fabricate the plankton into wafers, and then dispel 'em to make Soylent Green? :smalltongue:

Cruiser1
2016-04-26, 10:47 PM
This came out of another thread: what would happen if one PAOed a large gemstone into an equivalently sized lump of metal (same kingdom, same size, same intelligence = permanent) and one then Fabricated a bunch of nails with it
Nothing happens, because Fabricate doesn't work on magic items, such as polymorphed materials. The Fabricate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm) spell says, "Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell."

Devigor
2016-04-26, 10:57 PM
Nothing happens, because Fabricate doesn't work on magic items, such as polymorphed materials. The Fabricate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm) spell says, "Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell."

I wouldn't say that something transmuted using PAO would always count as a magic item. I'd say it was up to the game master.

Personally, I'd say if the original material was not magical, and the new type of material was not magical, then the transmutation would not cause either one to be magical, despite changing the material using magic. The spell effect remains, but the spell itself is magical, not necessarily the thing that the spell was cast on.

Gildedragon
2016-04-26, 11:49 PM

That's an odd ruling; esp since by RAW PAO can't produce magic items.

Deophaun
2016-04-27, 02:17 AM
Could you polymorph any object a person into plankton, fabricate the plankton into wafers, and then dispel 'em to make Soylent Green? :smalltongue:
Stop at step 2 and you have Soylent Green.

At step 3... I don't think anyone would be tempted to eat what would essentially be a disc-shaped teratoma.

Âmesang
2016-04-27, 07:15 AM
…and I guess once inside the body they'd have cover against dispel magic. :smalltongue: Granted it was once suggested to me to make quintessence pudding.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-27, 07:20 AM
…and I guess once inside the body they'd have cover against dispel magic. :smalltongue: Granted it was once suggested to me to make quintessence pudding.
That's pretty much on par with a Potion of Extended Acid Arrow in someone's drink....