PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "So, you have taken the red pill," Monastic Tradition(PEACH)

Amnoriath
2016-04-26, 05:50 PM
So much of society lives in quiet delusion believing that for the most part that everything about their world is for the better and is true. While many do revolt over political, religious, moral, or personal reasons very few do so out of the full realization that foundations of the world is an elaborate facade. The monks of the Metaphoric Bullet learn to manipulate this lie beyond its intention to do things never thought possible by man, often to break it. Philosophers, revolutionaries are mere fractions of what such people are as any one study is just a thread in a larger pattern of both truth and lies.

Way of the Metaphoric Bullet

http://tamgdeya.ru/photos/norm/1/1_N2p6tC3369.jpg"There is no spoon" young monk of the Metaphoric Bullet

Gun-kata: At level 3 you learn to weave firearm combat training with martial arts in seemless fashion. This gives you proficiency in long arms as well as the following abilities.

Hand held firearms may be treated as monk weapons and may be used as clubs appropriate for their size.
Ranged attacks with firearms do not suffer disadvantage when attacking an adjacent target.
If you would hit a creature with an unarmed strike or monk melee weapon the next ranged attack from you with a firearm against them always adds your proficiency bonus if it didn't already as long as it is done by the end of your next turn.
You can make an attack with a sidearm as a bonus action by spending a ki point.

At level 11 at any one point during your movement you can spend 3 ki points as an action to make an attack against every enemy within 20 feet of you. This action may still be otherwise treated as an Attack action.

Down the Rabbit Hole: At level 6 you become proficient in Insight checks and can cast Infallible Relay as at will using your monk save DC. Additionally if they would fail the save you can determine their current hit points and any conditions they possess. Though if they would succeed you can't use it on them for another 24 hours.

Alter Reality: At level 11 unveiling the world around you has enhanced your skills with otherworldly qualities. When you have rolled an ability check or saving throw you may add a d10 to the roll before knowing the result. Once you have used this you must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

The One: When you reach 17th level, your knowledge of what lies beneath the reality before you has revealed that you are destined to change it. As an action you undergo a transformation allowing to bend the laws of normal physics and greatly heightening your senses. This feature lasts as long as you maintain concentration up to 1 minute. You gain the following abilities while in this form.

You gain a flight speed equal to your movement speed.
You are under the effects of the Haste spell.
You can make an attack roll or an ability check with advantage once per round.

Once you have used this you must complete a long rest to use it again.

Ralcos
2016-04-26, 05:59 PM
Wow. Powerful but balanced from what I see.
Keep up the good work.

Final Hyena
2016-04-26, 06:11 PM
This gives you proficiency in long arms

You can make an attack with a sidearm as a bonus action by spending a ki point.

can cast Infallible Relay as at will using your monk save DC.

What are long arms, side arms and infallible relay?

Amnoriath
2016-04-26, 06:33 PM
What are long arms, side arms and infallible relay?

1. I should of stated this is a sub-class for a Modern Magic campaign.
2. Basically side arms are pistols and any one-handed guns while long-arms are rifles.
3. Infallible Relay is a 1st level spell that finds a close communications device to the creature you target and you can talk to them. It has a 1 minute casting time and the save is against a compulsion to force them to answer it and keep talking.

Amnoriath
2016-04-26, 08:07 PM
Wow. Powerful but balanced from what I see.
Keep up the good work.

So is the wow more from being impressed or is it worry? I do see that you like it but I just would like a little more clarity if possible.

Ralcos
2016-04-26, 08:43 PM
So is the wow more from being impressed or is it worry? I do see that you like it but I just would like a little more clarity if possible.

I'm impressed, that's what I meant. Sorry for not clarifying.

Amnoriath
2016-04-27, 03:19 PM
Anybody else have a say?

Twelvetrees
2016-05-12, 07:28 PM
Gun-kata: At level 3 you learn to weave firearm combat training with martial arts in seemless fashion.

At level 11 at any one point during your movement you can spend 3 ki points as an action to make an attack against every enemy within 20 feet of you. This action may still be otherwise treated as an Attack action.

Is this attack meant to be with a firearm or can it be with any method of attacking you have at your disposal? I would assume it is meant to be used with firearms only because everything else is based on their use, but it's not clear.

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-13, 05:30 AM
While I think it is pretty funny, but I am a bit concerned about a few things where I am not sure if I understood them right.

Gun-Kata
- do you mean that a monk can use a longarm as a club (which are monk weapons anyways) or do you mean that they may use a longarm as a ranged weapon as a monk weapon? - The first is a nice feature, but the second would be terribly OP.
- No disadvantage in melee range with a ranged weapon is about half a feat worth.
- I do not understand the "always add proficiency bonus" - thing. They have proficiency with the longarm already, so it is for sidearms? That one is weird. Better add a flat proficiency for sidearms instead.
- additional sidearm attack for 1 KI sounds OP, better would be 2 KI in my opinion, but it depends on the weapon stats...

All in all, Gun-Kata appears to be slightly more powerful than a feat and that is OK compared to the other lvl 3 monk traditions.

Down the rabbit hole
- sounds to me like a modern telepathy. Not very strong when compared to shadow step for example... but I might be overlooking something. If talking is not a free action or if they could alter the behaviour of the target, then it would be very OP as a free casting, but it looks rather underpowered to me as you describe it.

Alter reality
- this looks really (!!) underpowered. Once per rest, 1d10 before you know the result... it is worse than a use of lucky (because there you know the result and does not work on attacks) and if you take that feat, you get to use it 3 times a day. I would suggest to allow it to work after knowing the result or change it to allow a reroll and add attacks to the list..

The One
- this is terribly OP. It is basically an autowin-button that you can press 1/day... Why not make it so that the player can use your reaction to cast one of the 3 spells as if used a lvl 5 spell slot:
haste, fly or elemental weapon (on your fists) - each cost 4 KI points and use your concentration.

My 2 cents...

Amnoriath
2016-05-13, 06:45 AM
Is this attack meant to be with a firearm or can it be with any method of attacking you have at your disposal? I would assume it is meant to be used with firearms only because everything else is based on their use, but it's not clear.

Actually it is with any kind of method at your disposal. Gun-kata is suppose to be a melding of martial arts and firearm training.

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-13, 07:47 AM
Actually it is with any kind of method at your disposal. Gun-kata is suppose to be a melding of martial arts and firearm training.

So a lvl 3 monk can use flurry of blows and make 3 ranged or melee attacks using a weapon.. that is ridiculously OP.. it would be with ANY weapon but especially a ranged one makes that so overly broken that this does not need further discussion.

Imagine adding 1 or 2 levels of fighter with archery and the sharpshooter feat and that class can easily outdamage 2 optimized "normal" chars of the same lvl.

Amnoriath
2016-05-13, 09:55 AM
So a lvl 3 monk can use flurry of blows and make 3 ranged or melee attacks using a weapon.. that is ridiculously OP.. it would be with ANY weapon but especially a ranged one makes that so overly broken that this does not need further discussion.

Imagine adding 1 or 2 levels of fighter with archery and the sharpshooter feat and that class can easily outdamage 2 optimized "normal" chars of the same lvl.

"At level 11 at any one point during your movement you can spend 3 ki points as an action to make an attack against every enemy within 20 feet of you. This action may still be otherwise treated as an Attack action."

Amnoriath
2016-05-13, 10:23 AM
1. a. Monks are only proficient in Sidearms according to Modern Arms supplement rules and I do realize it may be repetitive but this is just in case a DM would try to rule using a gun as a blunt weapon as an improvised weapon.
b. Actually it is a third and probably is the lesser third considering the frequency.
c. Actually being proficient in Modern Arms rules means you can just use the Aim action as a bonus action so this incentives them to stay in close quarters and time their hits accordingly.
d. Not really it is probably still less effective in damage than the 2 hits from Flurry but the advantage is being ranged and a little variety. As far as action economy for the same price they could have Dashed, Dodged, or Disengaged with some neat movement rider effects.
2. Sort of is but it isn't, Here is the spell, note it has a 1 minute casting time and you must have previously met them with in 24 hours.
"With this spell, you can target any creature with whom you have spoken previously, as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence. When you cast the spell, the nearest functioning
telephone or similar communications device within 100 feet of the target begins to ring. If there is no suitable device close enough to the target, the spell fails.The target must make a successful Charisma saving throw or be compelled to answer your call. Once the connection is established, the call is crystal clear and cannot be dropped until the conversation has ended or the spell’s duration ends. You can end the conversation at any time,but a target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw to end the conversation."
3. It is a reskinned Dark One's Luck so it is every short or long rest, but it also has the Gun-kata rider.
4. Quivering Palm is arguably is also an I win button considering it can be done as long as you have ki and meet its easy requirements. As for mine specifically I know when you saw this you thought the Paladin capstones but mine requires concentration while those don't. As for the abilities it gives keep in mind that this is for modern campaigns quite specifically so while the speed can seem astonishing even with a Wood Elf and the Mobility feat it comes just under 67 miles per hour. Car chases and other vehicle assaults should be fairly common at this point in the game. The advantages may also seem much but not only do the preclude each other once a round advantages on checks and attacks are quite plentiful as are disadvantages especially against opponents who are likely going to mimic PC's more. So all in all it isn't a guaranteed I win especially since this is intended to be more of a mid to close range character.

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-14, 03:11 AM
I really like the shadowrun world, but I am not fond of their rules... (too complicated and too many special cases, while the general mechanics do not account for many pretty standard situations)

That said, what I see as a problem when using D&D 5e in a modern setting is this... magic and special abilities are balanced against a what a (mundane) big brute with a big axe can do. In a modern setting, the "mundane" turns into someone with an AK-47, hand grenades and a combat armor.

So I do understand the need to upgrade some of the magic and the abilities, but this is hard to do with one subclass because it involves much more.

After thinking about what you wrote a bit, I see your point, I think the class is outstanding good and while it fits in your sceanario, it is certainly not balanced compared to other monk sub-classes.

- But this is going to be a general problem in your campaign that some classes will not do very well due to the available technology and with that subclass you created at least on monk class that will keep up just fine.

Amnoriath
2016-05-14, 12:35 PM
1. While I am abiding by some of the basic mechanics of weaponry and contextualization I would be making my own as for some of the reasons you said. While the Aim action seems to be a setback and not very intuitive I think it has some potential in redrafting some feats out there as well as puts a new standard in which martials could have but not casters.
2. I do get that as well as the fact that strength based melee becomes a bit outdated which is why I would up the defender roles with such players. As for the destructive capability here in a way casters even in 5e have always set the top bars of what players can do in a setting 5e just restricted the math and stacking so using bigger weapons isn't going to change those bars especially when they can use them as well with some manner of competency. Ultimately it is a matter of when these weapons and abilities to accommodate them to determine when casters are being usurped(about up to level 7) in the numbers.
3. In movie mook killing scenarios absolutely not, but in few challenging opponents at a time I think it is. In a way I would argue each one of them has their issues, not just drawbacks, though an Open-Hand monk can deal with a challenging opponent far better than a Metaphoric bullet looking at ki costs. Even a Shadow Monk has those consistent atypical means to deal with such opponents or obstacles that a Metaphoric Bullet doesn't really. Obviously mine has a lot of nova potential but it really only has it against a crowd of lesser foes or momentarily on a couples of rolls.
4. I do have a couple others in mind namely a Transporter ranger(once I am happy with my fix:smalleek:) and Powered Armor Fighter.