PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a Bardblade

muskasurfer
2016-04-26, 06:51 PM
Hi!

ECL 14 - Bard (4) / Warblade (10) (Bardblade)
Quick Summary of Character

Primary Fighting Style: Two-Handed Weapon
The character is not fully optimized. I'm going for an assortment of maneuvers from Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind, and Iron Heart. I'm only getting White Raven Tactics from the White Raven discipline. I'm going the Stormguard Warrior and Robilar's Gambit feat route. I threw in Leap Attack without Storm Trooper for some additional synergy with Pouncing Charge and a couple other jump maneuvers.

Ability Scores:

Str 20
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 15

Starting equipment (ECL 14):
150,000 GP available to spend. DM said it's alright if I combine items using the MiC (Magic Item Compendium) rules. DM specified I cannot stack the character with all +4, +5 items etc. He mentioned it's fine to have one +5, a couple +4s, a couple +3s, some +2s, and quite a few +1s. Below is a rough draft of gear/equipment that I've put together.

Head: Stone Dragon Headband (Mountain Hammer) - 3,000 GP - CL 5

Face: Third Eye of Clarity - 3,000 GP - CL 7

Throat: Badge of Valor and (+2) Constitution - 5,200 GP - CL 8

Shoulders: Cloak of Resistance (+3) and Minor Displacement - 33,000 GP - CL 15

Body: +3 Mithral Breastplate of Light Fortification [Githcraft; Lesser Crystal of Alacrity] - 24,300 GP - CL 14

Torso: Iron Heart Vest (Wall of Blades) of Steady Spellcasting - 4,875 GP - CL 7

Hands: Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting and (+2) Dexterity - 8,000 GP - CL 13 (We are currently in an Undead/Ghost Dungeon... I have a feeling the DM will throw more UD our direction. In general, we fight a lot of Orc etc.)

Arms: Armbands of Might and (+2) Strength - 8,100 GP - CL 9

Belt: Healing Belt of Battle - 13,250 GP - CL 13

Boots: Sandals of the Light Step and Speed - 17,500 GP - CL 13 (Boots of Speed and Sandals of the Light Step)

Ring 1: Sustenance Ring of Protection +2 - 8,500 GP - CL 11

Ring 2: Ring of Diamond Mind (Moment of Perfect Mind) - 3,000 GP - CL 5

Weapon: +1 White Raven, Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind Adamantine Duom [Least Crystal of Return] - 35,320 GP - CL 14 (The DM gave me the "ok" on the Duom two-handed weapon. I have to use the variation from DMC #331, though. "The Duom is a longspear with a standard spearhead, as well as two blades curved so that they point backward along the shaft. The weapon has reach allowing you to strike opponents 10 feet away with it. Those proficient with the duom can also attack adjacent foes with the reversed heads using a practiced "reversed strike". Apply a -2 penalty on the attack roll if you use the duom to attack a second adjacent opponent in the same round you attack the first opponent. Martial Weapon; Dmg (M) 1d8; x3 Crit; Piercing Damage."

Total Price of all Equipment: ~167,000...

With the enhancement bonuses, I will have a +6 strength modifier and a +5 dexterity modifier. With the Ring of Protection +2 and Mithril Armor, I will have an AC of 25 at a CL of 14. I did a little research and it seems that an AC of 31 is ideal for a CL of 14.

Q.1. Should I change any of the gear around? Is there a more optimal gear setup?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

mabriss lethe
2016-04-26, 07:05 PM
While not gear related: Are you picking up Song of the White Raven? If not, I'd reconsider, because it's what really brings a bardblade together.

As for gear? I'd check out Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) for some inexpensive utility items. You seem to be a little short on those.

Troacctid
2016-04-26, 07:08 PM
I would use a lesser crystal of acid assault or some kind of truedeath crystal instead of a least crystal of return. The quick draw ability is not going to be useful very often. Better to go with the efficient damage booster.

Some form of tactical teleportation would be useful, like an anklet of translocation, although if you have Dimension Leap as your 2nd level spell, you could do without it. It would also help to have some access to flight, even if it's only temporary.

Investing in some wands and scrolls would be a good idea. Even if you don't have UMD, you can still use wands and scrolls from the bard spell list. Get some utility spells just in case.

You can boost your AC more cost-effectively with a +1 deflection bonus and a +1 natural armor bonus, rather than a +2 deflection bonus. It loses a point of touch AC, but it avoids the diminishing returns for the same bonus type.

Don't forget to get masterwork tools for your skills that can use them. A masterwork instrument in particular is going to be important, since it boosts your bardic music, per Complete Adventurer. If you're using Dragonfire Inspiration, or if you or another fighter on your team has Power Attack, then you'll definitely want a masterwork mandolin; otherwise, probably masterwork drums. Also, a charm of countersong is good value for only 400 gp.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 09:54 AM
While not gear related: Are you picking up Song of the White Raven? If not, I'd reconsider, because it's what really brings a bardblade together.

As for gear? I'd check out Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) for some inexpensive utility items. You seem to be a little short on those.

I have the important Bard feats and Song of the White Raven is one of them. I've looked at Shax's Haversack and have put together items from it. I didn't include any of that, since I am mainly concerned about the equipment my character is wearing.

I appreciate your input, though.

Thank you.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 09:55 AM
I would use a lesser crystal of acid assault or some kind of truedeath crystal instead of a least crystal of return. The quick draw ability is not going to be useful very often. Better to go with the efficient damage booster.

Some form of tactical teleportation would be useful, like an anklet of translocation, although if you have Dimension Leap as your 2nd level spell, you could do without it. It would also help to have some access to flight, even if it's only temporary.

Investing in some wands and scrolls would be a good idea. Even if you don't have UMD, you can still use wands and scrolls from the bard spell list. Get some utility spells just in case.

You can boost your AC more cost-effectively with a +1 deflection bonus and a +1 natural armor bonus, rather than a +2 deflection bonus. It loses a point of touch AC, but it avoids the diminishing returns for the same bonus type.

Don't forget to get masterwork tools for your skills that can use them. A masterwork instrument in particular is going to be important, since it boosts your bardic music, per Complete Adventurer. If you're using Dragonfire Inspiration, or if you or another fighter on your team has Power Attack, then you'll definitely want a masterwork mandolin; otherwise, probably masterwork drums. Also, a charm of countersong is good value for only 400 gp.

Good to know! Thank you. I will look into the other crystals you recommend. I'm not sure how I would get the natural armor bonus since my amulet already has two modifiers on it.

Gildedragon
2016-04-27, 10:13 AM
Well; you might as well get the Ornate property on your breastplate as it seems dragmag is OK.

Oerthblood might be a good material to mix into your weapon; ditto for pandemonic silver, you can use a weapon enhancement to have it overcome DRs

Troacctid
2016-04-27, 01:38 PM
Good to know! Thank you. I will look into the other crystals you recommend. I'm not sure how I would get the natural armor bonus since my amulet already has two modifiers on it.
Natural armor bonuses can be freely added to the body or torso slot at a price of the bonus squared * 2000 gp.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 02:08 PM
Well; you might as well get the Ornate property on your breastplate as it seems dragmag is OK.

Oerthblood might be a good material to mix into your weapon; ditto for pandemonic silver, you can use a weapon enhancement to have it overcome DRs

Hmm... I should have been more clear. The DM only approved the Duom weapon. He didn't approve all of Dragon Magazine. While your ideas are good, I dont think I'll be able to use them.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 02:10 PM
Natural armor bonuses can be freely added to the body or torso slot at a price of the bonus squared * 2000 gp.

Thanks for the idea. I'll check it out. Unfortunately, most of the items I have chosen (put together) have two modifiers on each of them.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 02:30 PM
While the advice has been solid so far, I'm mainly interested in whether or not there is a more optimal gear setup than the one I've put together for a price range of ~150,000 GP. It's a big question, I know... I'm just not sure what modifiers, bonuses, item abilities etc. make for a well balanced gear set in favor of my characters build.

Requiem_Jeer
2016-04-27, 02:39 PM
You're a bard, you probably shouldn't be dropping the money on the boots of speed instead of having haste as a spell known to help both yourself and your allies. And the Horn of Resilience is a pretty good item, adds 50 temp HP to your inspire greatness 2/day.

muskasurfer
2016-04-27, 02:56 PM
You're a bard, you probably shouldn't be dropping the money on the boots of speed instead of having haste as a spell known to help both yourself and your allies. And the Horn of Resilience is a pretty good item, adds 50 temp HP to your inspire greatness 2/day.

Correct, Bards do have the ability to cast haste. At the beginning of my post I show that my character has a CL of 14 with 4 levels in Bard and 10 levels in Warblade. A Level 4 Bard can only cast level 2 spells, therefore I won't have access to Haste. It may have been a simple oversight on your end, no worries. You're totally right though, if I could cast haste, I wouldn't need boots of speed. Furthermore, I won't have access to Inspire Greatness, so Horn of Resilience may not be the best.

daremetoidareyo
2016-04-27, 10:13 PM
Complete adventurer has masterwork instruments. You could use them to modify your bardic music abilities, and they are useful, sometimes more useful than legit magic items.

But if you want a magic instrument, the Dove's Harp from MIC: Whenever you activate your bardic music, all allies within 60ft gain fast healing 3 for one full minute. This is about 30 hit points every time you use your bardic music.

Keld Denar
2016-04-27, 11:20 PM
Definitely want a Wand Chamber with a Wand of Whirling Blade. Not an Eternal Wand, the old fashion 50 charges one. You probably won't burn through the whole wand before you level to 16, so don't worry too much about the fact that it is "consumable". Ranged attacks for times when you can't full attack or reach your foes or don't want to reach your foes or are in a crowded room or any number of situations.

I'd lose the Sustenance ability in favor of Freedom of Movement. Everything at ECL14 is bad for your movement rate. Don't let it be. It also couples really nice with offensive spells from allies like Wall of Thorns or Evard's Black Tentacles since you can just ignore those effects while hurting foes who ARE affected by them. Very versatile, totally worth 40,000.

muskasurfer
2016-04-28, 12:43 AM
Complete adventurer has masterwork instruments. You could use them to modify your bardic music abilities, and they are useful, sometimes more useful than legit magic items.

But if you want a magic instrument, the Dove's Harp from MIC: Whenever you activate your bardic music, all allies within 60ft gain fast healing 3 for one full minute. This is about 30 hit points every time you use your bardic music.

Great suggestion! I will see if the DM will be alright with me transferring the ability of the Dove's Harp to a Lute. The lute is my character's main instrument. Thank you.

Definitely want a Wand Chamber with a Wand of Whirling Blade. Not an Eternal Wand, the old fashion 50 charges one. You probably won't burn through the whole wand before you level to 16, so don't worry too much about the fact that it is "consumable". Ranged attacks for times when you can't full attack or reach your foes or don't want to reach your foes or are in a crowded room or any number of situations.

I'd lose the Sustenance ability in favor of Freedom of Movement. Everything at ECL14 is bad for your movement rate. Don't let it be. It also couples really nice with offensive spells from allies like Wall of Thorns or Evard's Black Tentacles since you can just ignore those effects while hurting foes who ARE affected by them. Very versatile, totally worth 40,000.

Right! I forgot that you mentioned the Wand Chamber before. I will definitely get on that. Will I need ranks in Use Magic Device to be able to utilize the wand? Or, since Whirling Blade is a Bard spell will I be able to activate the wand without UMD? At the moment, the spells I have chosen are: [Level 1: Inspirational Boost, Silent Image, Grease]; [Level 2: Mirror Image and (either Invisibility, Alter Self, or Dimensional Leap - I can only have two level 2 spells known)]. What other level 2 spell would you recommend? And, are the level 1 spells alright?

While I really like your idea of adding Freedom of Movement instead of Sustenance to my ring, I'm not sure what other item to drop to compensate for the 40,000 GP price tag. I'm already over the 150,000 GP budget by ~16,000 GP...

I'd need to do an overall re-work of the equipment setup. I feel as though my overall AC of 25 is low with the gear setup I've put together for a CL of 14. I have no idea how to increase it without losing some of the other really awesome items the character is wearing. Then again, AC may not be as important as I'm making it out to be, since I will have Wall of Blades. I'll just have to make sure I have it prepared often. As a quick side note: I know I should probably have an animated shield, but I don't care much for the flavor of the item, so I am choosing to not have one.

Let me know what you think... You may have a better gear setup in mind than what I've put together.

Thank you

Darrin
2016-04-28, 11:37 AM
Right! I forgot that you mentioned the Wand Chamber before. I will definitely get on that. Will I need ranks in Use Magic Device to be able to utilize the wand? Or, since Whirling Blade is a Bard spell will I be able to activate the wand without UMD?

Spell-trigger items that appear on your spell list do not need a UMD check. Even if the spells in the wand are too high for you to cast at your current caster level, you can cast them from a wand without making a caster level check.

At the moment, the spells I have chosen are: [Level 1: Inspirational Boost, Silent Image, Grease]; [Level 2: Mirror Image and (either Invisibility, Alter Self, or Dimensional Leap - I can only have two level 2 spells known)]. What other level 2 spell would you recommend? And, are the level 1 spells alright?

Consider taking instant diversion (Races of the Dragon) at 1st instead of mirror image at 2nd. Likewise, swift invisibility might work at 1st instead of invisibility at 2nd. As far as 2nd level spells go, alter self is probably the #1 pick due to versatility, although many will swear by picking up glitterdust first.

While I really like your idea of adding Freedom of Movement instead of Sustenance to my ring, I'm not sure what other item to drop to compensate for the 40,000 GP price tag. I'm already over the 150,000 GP budget by ~16,000 GP...

Get a darkleaf breastplate (A&EG or ECS) instead of mithral. That saves about 1600 GP. Instead of the cloak of displacement, put the Smoking property (Lords of Darkness p. 180) on some armor spikes. This gives you all-day 20% concealment for only 8350 GP, saving about 15K.

As a quick side note: I know I should probably have an animated shield, but I don't care much for the flavor of the item, so I am choosing to not have one.

You can throw on a dwarven buckler axe (Complete Warrior or Races of Stone) for a +1 shield bonus. You don't need EWP to use it as a shield, and it doesn't incur the -1 attack penalty that a normal buckler would have. Knocking down your armor bonus on the breastplate to +1 and then enchanting your buckler axe up to a +1 enhancement saves you about 11K, but you'll want to spend 2.5K on a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection. If you really want to use the buckler axe as a weapon, add a wand chamber and wand of master's touch for 850 GP. You can save a little bit of money by putting the Freedom enhancement on your buckler axe, which would be only 35K more on top of the +1... not quite sure if we can carve out that much room for it without reworking your weapon.

Do you really need three Martial Discipline properties on the same weapon? Maybe one would be enough, to get the +3 attack bonus for being in a particular stance, but for the other two you wind up paying for a +1 enhancement bonus to get a +1 attack bonus (most of the time). In general, it's more worthwhile to invest your GP in damage rather than attack bonus.

Keld Denar
2016-04-28, 08:59 PM
Isn't a Duom a piercing weapon? If so, it doesn't qualify for Whirling Blade. I'd change that.

muskasurfer
2016-04-28, 10:17 PM
Spell-trigger items that appear on your spell list do not need a UMD check. Even if the spells in the wand are too high for you to cast at your current caster level, you can cast them from a wand without making a caster level check.

Good to know. Thanks.

Consider taking instant diversion (Races of the Dragon) at 1st instead of mirror image at 2nd. Likewise, swift invisibility might work at 1st instead of invisibility at 2nd. As far as 2nd level spells go, alter self is probably the #1 pick due to versatility, although many will swear by picking up glitterdust first.

Instant diversion looks interesting. It looks like it functions in a similar manner to mirror image. I feel as though Mirror Image has more defensive properties in regards to the target having a chance to not hit the real PC. I guess I could have the images from Instant Diversion follow me to create a similar defensive diversion like mirror image would. Mirror image has a chance of creating up to 5 images where as instance diversion would only create a max of 2 images. I'll have to think on it some more. Swift invisibility is solid for a level 1 spell, but it only lasts 1 round. I like that invisibility lasts for a longer period of time. That being said, I will only be able to cast 1 level 2 spell per day. The two level 2 spells I choose will have to be worth the 1 use per day. Mirror Image provides quite a bit of defense in "oh sh*t" moments despite being susceptible to AOE damage. Mirror Image + Minor Displacement Cloak appears to be a solid "oh sh*t" button. Glitterdust would definitely be solid for offensive terms... Hm... I guess it'd be between Invisibility, Alter Self, and Glitterdust. I like the idea of either Alter Self and Invisibility... You recommend Alter Self, but the RP applications of it are a little tricky... Invisibility has it uses too, though... It's a tough call.

Get a darkleaf breastplate (A&EG or ECS) instead of mithral. That saves about 1600 GP. Instead of the cloak of displacement, put the Smoking property (Lords of Darkness p. 180) on some armor spikes. This gives you all-day 20% concealment for only 8350 GP, saving about 15K.

You can throw on a dwarven buckler axe (Complete Warrior or Races of Stone) for a +1 shield bonus. You don't need EWP to use it as a shield, and it doesn't incur the -1 attack penalty that a normal buckler would have. Knocking down your armor bonus on the breastplate to +1 and then enchanting your buckler axe up to a +1 enhancement saves you about 11K, but you'll want to spend 2.5K on a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection. If you really want to use the buckler axe as a weapon, add a wand chamber and wand of master's touch for 850 GP. You can save a little bit of money by putting the Freedom enhancement on your buckler axe, which would be only 35K more on top of the +1... not quite sure if we can carve out that much room for it without reworking your weapon.[/QUOTE]

I talked with the DM about your recommendations, but he'd like for me to try and stick with core books and magic item compendium. He agreed to a few exceptions as seen in the above equipment list, but he's a little skeptical even about those. I won't be able to go with the darkleaf breastplate, smoking property, and dwarven buckler axe ideas

Do you really need three Martial Discipline properties on the same weapon? Maybe one would be enough, to get the +3 attack bonus for being in a particular stance, but for the other two you wind up paying for a +1 enhancement bonus to get a +1 attack bonus (most of the time). In general, it's more worthwhile to invest your GP in damage rather than attack bonus.

I guess I don't... I was thinking for when I use a maneuver. If I am in a DM stance, I will be using either a TC, DM, or IH offensive maneuver. When I do that, I will have a +6 to attack bonus. I will be using Power Attack, so I figured the +6 attack bonus will be worth the lack of investment of GP into damage. For example, if I use pouncing charge in a either a DM or WR stance, I will get the +6 attack bonus. Iono, do I have the wrong logic? I'm not sure what other enhancement bonuses I would invest in... Maybe Wounding or something?

Isn't a Duom a piercing weapon? If so, it doesn't qualify for Whirling Blade. I'd change that.

It is a piercing weapon.. And, you have a very valid point. Shoot! I wanted to go for a unique weapon outside of the common ones like Greatsword, Guisarme, Greataxe, Spiked Chain, etc. I will do some more research... The duom having reach + adjacent targeting is hard to pass up.

Troacctid
2016-04-28, 11:14 PM
Reach + adjacent targeting is actually very easy to get if you don't mind using two different weapons. Just wear armor spikes, and they'll fill in the gap in your reach, as well as offering a handy backup weapon in case you're disarmed. You can enchant them with a handy utility property like Warning, too.

muskasurfer
2016-04-30, 01:45 AM
Reach + adjacent targeting is actually very easy to get if you don't mind using two different weapons. Just wear armor spikes, and they'll fill in the gap in your reach, as well as offering a handy backup weapon in case you're disarmed. You can enchant them with a handy utility property like Warning, too.

Thats definitely a good idea. I've looked into the idea of using armor spikes for adjacent targeting, but I couldn't find myself to like them. Thank you for the suggestion.

I guess I'll just assume the equipment I've chosen, aside from a few minor tweaks on different pieces, is an all-around solid setup. No one really mentioned if the "big picture" setup was good or not, so I'll take that to mean I'm good to go.

I'm still not sure as to an ideal AC for a CL of 14, but I figure an AC of 25, 20% chance to not be hit (disrupting cloak), Wall of Blades maneuver, solid Fort and Reflex saves, and Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver will be more than enough to provide solid defense. Yes, it'd be nice to throw the Ring of Freedom in there, but I just don't see that happening atm... Plus, Iron Heart Surge has me covered for the most part.

My constitution bonus is a 14 (16 after the +2 enhancement bonus from gloves), so maybe increasing that to a +4 may be worth it, but I rolled well for the character's HP and have 152HPs... So, I don't think the extra 12,000 GP is worth an extra 14HPs.

I can try to fit the constitution mod on the Headband of Stone Dragon and add a +1 natural armor bonus to the amulet, but that's about all I see myself doing aside from a few of the recommend tweaks: wand chamber etc...