PDA

View Full Version : System where skills get bonuses from 2 ability scores?

heavyfuel
2016-04-26, 11:12 PM
I remember seeing this some time ago. It was a system where the characters skill where decided by 2 abilities instead of just 1 like in D&D

From what I remember - which is little - the Swim skill was Strength and Constituion based and Stealth was Dexterity and Dexterity.

I could be wrong in the examples above, but hopefully you guys understood the premise and can help me find this system.

Thanks!

Edit: After some more research I think it might be the "A Game of Thrones D20" by Sword & Sorcery. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with the book anymore.

Nope, not it. I still can't shake the feeling that it was a Game of Thrones system for some reason. I could be completely off course though.

I also remembered something else about the system. You only rolled Hit Dice every 4 levels or so, so you never had huge amounts of HP like in D&D.

Knaight
2016-04-27, 12:42 AM
It might be The Dark Eye.

Takewo
2016-04-27, 01:25 AM
It could also be RuneQuest.

Trampaige
2016-04-27, 01:36 AM
World of darkness?

Firest Kathon
2016-04-27, 02:57 AM
The Dark Eye (Das schwarze Auge) uses three abilities for each skill. Stealth would be Bravery/Intuition/Agility, swimming Agility/Constitution/Strength. Abilities may be switched out for special purposes, e.g. dancing is normally Charisma/Agility/Agility, but if your character tries to remember something about a special dance the GM may ask for a knowledge roll with Wisdom/Intuition/Intuition using your dancing skill ranks. Or searching using normally Wisdom/Intuition/Intuition may be using Wisdom/Intuition/Dexterity if you are grasping for something in the dark.
Skill checks are 3xD20-roll-under your ability score, skill points may be used to compensate for rolling over your score, with left over points determining the degree of success. 0 or more points left over means the character is successfull, if you cannot compensate a roll (i.e. you have less than 0 points left over) indicates a failure. Two 20s are a critical failure, two 1s a critical sucess. Three 20s means the GM is going to have some fun, and your character ... will not :smallamused:.
Example: Elliot the Knight is at a dinner and has just asked the Lord's daughter for a dance. He has Charisma 11 and Agility 15 (a bit gruff but a trained swordsman) and 6 ranks in dancing. His player rolls 13, 8, 15. The 13 is more than the 11 in charisma, meaning 2 points are taken from the skill ranks to compensate, leaving him with 4. The 8 and 15 are below and at his Agility, so no further points are deducted there. He is left with 4 points - a fine dance, not enough to impress the young lady, but he does not embarrass himself either.

hifidelity2
2016-04-27, 05:57 AM
Rolemaster used two stats for lots of skills

heavyfuel
2016-04-27, 11:20 AM
After some more research I think it might be the "A Game of Thrones D20" by Sword & Sorcery. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with the book anymore.

I also remembered something else about the system. You only rolled Hit Dice every 4 levels or so, so you never had huge amounts of HP like in D&D.

World of darkness?

Rolemaster used two stats for lots of skills

Nope, not it. :smallfrown:

Thanks though.

It could also be RuneQuest.

Maybe. I went to my FLGS for a look at their 6th edition rule book and while it does use these mechanics, and while I have dabbled in RQ before, I'm not very convinced

Mr. Mask
2016-04-27, 11:40 AM
With these systems, is the calculation normally: Athleticism = (Strength+Agility+Constitution)/3
Or is it normally: Athleticism = Strength+Agility+Constitution

Just wonder how they handle that. With a calculator and writing numbers ahead, it's probably easy enough to divide or multiply the attributes involved.

Liodre
2016-04-27, 12:17 PM
Tagging on to the Runequest...

Legend does that as well. Of course, it uses the Runequest II rules set to make a more generic fantasy system.

Knaight
2016-04-27, 12:38 PM

This is much more useful, as it narrows down the list to things with Hit Dice and levels. Unfortunately, it also means you were probably looking at some relatively unknown fantasy heart breaker, so it's not going to be easy to find.

LibraryOgre
2016-04-27, 01:13 PM
Hackmaster has skills governed by two attributes, and you get your bonus from the lower of the two.

Mr. Mask
2016-04-27, 01:20 PM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks Mark!

heavyfuel
2016-04-29, 06:58 PM
After some calls I managed to get my hands on S&SS's Game of Thrones d20 and... it's not it

I still can't shake the feeling that it was a Game of Thrones system for some reason. I could be completely off course though.