PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tweaking Dragon Sorcerer

quinron
2016-04-27, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure this belongs here, but there's a chance it belongs in Homebrew; please let me know if that's the case.

I'm interested in gradually changing our Dragon Blood sorcerer into a Demon Blood sorcerer. Thematically and mechanically, almost everything can stay the same or only adjusted slightly - everything "Draconic" becomes "Demonic," change the Charisma-check bonuses of Dragon Ancestor from dragons to demons.

The only major change I'd like to make is to Draconic Presence. The demon lord she's connected to is the patroness of medusas, so I'd like to replace the pseudo-Frightful Presence with a Petrifying Gaze ability. I don't see any reason this couldn't just be swapped in its entirety, but I'm not sure how many sorcery points such an ability should cost or how exactly it should function (compared to the medusa's Petrifying Gaze and to flesh to stone).

Gtdead
2016-04-27, 01:26 AM
My suggestion would be to keep the sorcery point cost as it is, but limit range to 20-30 feet and make it a cone. It fits thematically since it has to do with sight. Make it a wis save since it's mind affecting.

Edit: The petrify spells/abilities tend to target CON. You can use this instead. Personally I don't like it. It's not a disease. It's hardly an affliction. In greek mythology, medusa had this power because she was hideous, and that's what turned those who looked upon her into stone.

quinron
2016-04-27, 01:32 AM
My suggestion would be to keep the sorcery point cost as it is, but limit range to 20-30 feet and make it a cone. It fits thematically since it has to do with sight. Make it a wis save since it's mind affecting.

And would you recommend it be the same as the medusa's gaze, or more like the three-save effect of flesh to stone? I'm definitely leaning more toward the latter; instantly petrifying anything on a save failed by 5+ is okay for a monster (especially if you've got a caster who's packing greater restoration or can prep it the next day), but that's the kind of thing that can shut down an entire encounter in one round.

Gtdead
2016-04-27, 01:44 AM
Hmm, good question. How about you do both? Allow it to work like Hold Person, but if he saves, he just isn't petrified for this round. If he saves 3 times he is cured, if he fails 3 times he becomes petrified permanently.
It's a lvl 18 ability after all, it's supposed to be strong. Also petrify gives resistance to damage, so there's that.

You could let him use it once per day or per short rest to control it better and then you buff it accordingly. It will depend a lot on the structure of your encounters. Keep the same 24 hour period immunity just in case.