PDA

View Full Version : Adventure's league Adventure question

Smorgonoffz
2016-04-27, 07:32 AM
Yesterday i went to AN al session held in a store in a nearby city, we played suit of mists 5 so i went straight to barovia.

Today i discovered that a local store is hosting a AL session next week but it starts with suit of mists 1, what i want to know is:

Will i be able to play in this session with the same character, or i'll have to make a new one because i'm too advanced?

Joe the Rat
2016-04-27, 08:20 AM
So long as you meet the level requirements, and you haven't already played it with that character, then you can play that character in an AL adventure.

Just try not to spoil anything about the bigger plot.

coredump
2016-04-27, 08:24 AM
That is incorrect.

Once you have played 5, you are in Barovia and can't play anything outside of Barovia until your PC leaves Barovia.

OTOH, if you have only played 5 with that PC, I would just start him over so you can play 1-5.

How much has that PC played?

wunderkid
2016-04-27, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure I entirely understand AL would someone mind summing it up to me as if I'm an utter newbie?

From what I can tell from heresay it's kind of a 'your character exists in every AL game unless he has completed the story already?'

Joe the Rat
2016-04-27, 08:37 AM
It's like the old Living [campaign] and Pathfinder Society games. Closer to say you have the potential to be in any adventure you qualify for.

Except for this:

That is incorrect.

Once you have played 5, you are in Barovia and can't play anything outside of Barovia until your PC leaves Barovia.I didn't know about that twist. Nice callback.

Are there "exit" scenarios, or is it just once you (the character) are out, you can't go back?

kaoskonfety
2016-04-27, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure I entirely understand AL would someone mind summing it up to me as if I'm an utter newbie?

From what I can tell from heresay it's kind of a 'your character exists in every AL game unless he has completed the story already?'

From the documents:
--------------
Adventures for the D&D Adventurers League are broken
into four tiers of play—first tier (levels 1–4), second tier
(levels 5–10), third tier (levels 11–16), and fourth tier
(levels 17–20). Your character’s level determines which
tier of adventures you can play with that character. You
cannot play adventures outside your tier.
---------------
Specifically: Curse For Strahd drops you into the Demi-Plane of Ravenloft, from which there is only pre-scripted escape (as per a rule sidebar in the current adventure league rules)! Once your PC is there you are stuck there until... whatever they've inserted to let you out.

I assume it would be frowned upon at most tables to keep grinding in the same module for loot and EXP as you've seen the content and this is kinda 4th wall breaking. But I cannot find a specific ruling on the matter.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/adventurers-league-resources

Smorgonoffz
2016-04-27, 09:03 AM
I'll create another charcter, it's not a problem i only played one session .

Aside from attendance does the dci number have any uses like in mtg?

wunderkid
2016-04-27, 09:39 AM
So what you build a character, it gets uploaded to the internet with all your gear and whatnot so if you go to play elsewhere you can use the same character?

kaoskonfety
2016-04-27, 10:58 AM
So what you build a character, it gets uploaded to the internet with all your gear and whatnot so if you go to play elsewhere you can use the same character?

No upload component (though I can see using Google Docs or similar for keeping stuff on the cloud for ease of travel). Its mostly paper, pencil and the honour system. The DCI thing is the only real tracking.

Some people have several 'legal characters' at various levels ready and break out what the table needs based on what everyone else is playing. Some insist they 'only play XYZ characters (eg. CN Halfling urchin assassin rouges)'. Some tables are "turn up and play" others a bit more invite or regular players only minded.

It's basically like every other game you will play but a bit more formalized for a more standard play experience.

wunderkid
2016-04-27, 12:00 PM
So there is nothing stopping a player turning up with a character who is X level with Y and Z items?

I appreciate the honor system but that feels a little eh.

uraniumrooster
2016-04-27, 03:10 PM
So there is nothing stopping a player turning up with a character who is X level with Y and Z items?

I appreciate the honor system but that feels a little eh.

Every character has an AL log sheet. When you play in an adventure, you log XP, GP, Downtime, and any Magic Items earned during that adventure, with the DCI number of the DM who ran the mod. There are also Magic Item certificates used to verify that you do actually have an item you say you have, and you can trade with other players swapping like-for-like rarity.

Not all tables will check your log sheet every time, but if you're playing at conventions or move between one store and another, it would usually be something the DM would ask for, especially if you showed up with a high tier 2 or tier 3 character with multiple magic items.