PDA

View Full Version : Practical storage of large objects

Moranlos
2016-04-27, 10:45 AM
First post, hope I'm doing this right.

Was looking for a way to store and carry a 100 ft long sword in something like a bag of holding but with infinite space. It also weighs 250,000 pounds, so the bag would also need infinite weight. I have the carrying capacity to do whatever, I just need space.

Any variants/expansions are on the table, but no homebrew.

Gallowglass
2016-04-27, 10:55 AM
For those dimensions a portable hole or bag of holding won't work. You are looking at genesis for creating a custom demiplane to serve as the scabbard for your sword. That's a 9th level spell.

If you are up for shenanigans, you can try things like summoning up a creature like an ethereal filcher and having it "filch" it into the ethereal plane after figuring out a way to "tag" it so you can reclaim it at a later time. Or using Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion as a scabbard as long as your GM allows you to "conjure" the SAME mansion and use the mansion to store equipment between castings.

Bayar
2016-04-27, 10:59 AM
The Cloak of Weaponry can store up to 25 lbs of anything, even sharp objects without tearing.

Enveloping pit has a depth of 50 feet and 10 feet wide. So close to 51 feet if placed diagonally.

Shrink Item is up to 2 cubic feet per level. That's 1/16 of it's normal size in each dimension and 1/4000 in mass and volume.

A 100 foot long sword would have a lot more than 100 cubic feet to occupy, but for simplicity sake we'll use that. So you'd need to have a level 50 wizard to shrink it using that spell. So it turns into a sword weighing 62.5 lbs and about 6.25 feet long.

Alternatively, Polymorph any Object can turn the giant sword into a normal sword with a duration of anywhere between 12 hours to permanent depending on the Duration Factors.

Bronk
2016-04-27, 11:18 AM
Enveloping pits are 50' deep... put two end to end.

Iron flask: Strap your sword to some weak willed creature, then trap them inside.

Ship in a Bottle (Dragon 318): Same deal as the iron flask, but works on an entire ship.

Shrink Item spell: you might not need that high of a caster level if you go by displacement instead of how many 2' by 2' cubes you'd need to lay end to end to cover the sword.

Flickerdart
2016-04-27, 11:26 AM
Polymorph any object lets you polymorph 100 cubic feet per CL. Turn your sword into a human, and make it walk.

Gallowglass
2016-04-27, 11:33 AM
Polymorph any object lets you polymorph 100 cubic feet per CL. Turn your sword into a human, and make it walk.

PaO doesn't work on magic items. I guess I was assuming this enormous sword was a magic sword.

Moranlos
2016-04-27, 11:38 AM
For those dimensions a portable hole or bag of holding won't work. You are looking at genesis for creating a custom demiplane to serve as the scabbard for your sword. That's a 9th level spell.

If you are up for shenanigans, you can try things like summoning up a creature like an ethereal filcher and having it "filch" it into the ethereal plane after figuring out a way to "tag" it so you can reclaim it at a later time. Or using Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion as a scabbard as long as your GM allows you to "conjure" the SAME mansion and use the mansion to store equipment between castings.

The Genesis thing seems like probably the most viable option. I think it should work, but the rules regarding the entrance to the demiplane are very unclear.

Flickerdart
2016-04-27, 11:40 AM
PaO doesn't work on magic items. I guess I was assuming this enormous sword was a magic sword.
A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)

Belzyk
2016-04-27, 11:44 AM
Hord Gullet. Problem solved. You just munch away at the sword. Then puke it up when you wanna take it out.
Id assume ya know you could fit the sword down your throat for it to work.

Gallowglass
2016-04-27, 11:49 AM
Hord Gullet. Problem solved. You just munch away at the sword. Then puke it up when you wanna take it out.

Are you talking about this?

Hoard Gullet
(Dragon Magic)

Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, Spellthief 1, Initiate of Astilabor (Feat) 1,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level

...You can safely swallow and transport any object you could normally swallow (including items at least three size categories smaller than you).
The capacity of your hoard gullet is 100 pounds and/or 10 cubic feet per caster level (up to a maximum of 1,000 pounds and 100 cubic feet).
You can't remove individual items from your hoard gullet, but as a full-round action, you can expel its entire contents into your square.
It otherwise functions as a bag of holding (DMG 248)....

because, if so, you haven't read the spell very closely. The sword exceeds the maximums and doesn't qualify as an object "you could normally swallow"

Moranlos
2016-04-27, 11:53 AM
Id assume ya know you could fit the sword down your throat for it to work.

Hoard Gullet has a maximum of 1000 lbs. Still thinking Genesis, as PaO doesn't work on magic. Actually, the dispel magic thing seems pretty good too. Might do that, too. Thanks, guys.

Gallowglass
2016-04-27, 11:54 AM
A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)

Okay. So its suppressed for 1d4 rounds, during which time you polymorph it into a hedgehog (for 20 minutes). What do you think happens at the end of the 1d4 rounds (the duration of the effect)? Because in my mind, it turns back into a 100' long sword.

Flickerdart
2016-04-27, 12:12 PM
Okay. So its suppressed for 1d4 rounds, during which time you polymorph it into a hedgehog (for 20 minutes). What do you think happens at the end of the 1d4 rounds (the duration of the effect)? Because in my mind, it turns back into a 100' long sword.

Your mind is incorrect. Spells in D&D only check for validity when they are targeted, and becoming an invalid target does not end the spell. Otherwise, spells like revenance would do nothing - as soon as the spell's effect fires, the initial target is no longer a legal target, and the spell would immediately end.

Studoku
2016-04-27, 12:32 PM
During which time you polymorph it into a hedgehog (for 20 minutes).
If the duration of PAO is a problem, polymorph it into an iron golem for a duration factor of 9 (same class & kingdom since they're both metal, same non-existent intelligence).

Gallowglass
2016-04-27, 01:17 PM
Your mind is incorrect. Spells in D&D only check for validity when they are targeted, and becoming an invalid target does not end the spell. Otherwise, spells like revenance would do nothing - as soon as the spell's effect fires, the initial target is no longer a legal target, and the spell would immediately end.

Uh huh.

Well that's certainly one interpretation of the rules. (And I'm sure, in your absolutist mind, the only and absolute correct interpretation.)

OP> Probably worth running by your DM. If they agree with Flickerdart, it would be a lower level solution than creating a scabbard plane. You could just polymorph it into a smaller sword (non-magical) so it would be permanent until you dispel it later to get the gargantua magic sword back. If you didn't want it to be permanent until dispelled, I think the Iron Golem is a great idea.

Flickerdart
2016-04-27, 01:35 PM
Uh huh.

Well that's certainly one interpretation of the rules. (And I'm sure, in your absolutist mind, the only and absolute correct interpretation.)

You're free to come up with another interpretation that doesn't break a whole bunch of spells.

Gildedragon
2016-04-27, 01:45 PM
A calling weapon dragonshard pommel might be a good way to retrieve it. To make it go away... Give it to a bank.
Alternatively: craft a bunch of undead or constructs that carry the thing around.
PAO it into riverine and break it into manageable bits. Touch them back together when you want a whole sword.

Shalist
2016-04-27, 04:56 PM
The sizing enchantment (MIC pg 43, +5000g) lets you change a weapon to "any size category you desire" (edit: as a swift action), which seems pretty much ideal for this situation. You could be using it as a toothpick one moment, and slicing a planet in half with it the next.

edit 2:

Enveloping pit has a depth of 50 feet and 10 feet wide. So close to 51 feet if placed diagonally.

(MIC pg 159, 3600g) Note that you could use two of these, one inside the other. Alternately, improve the enveloping pit by adding a similar ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#multipleSimilarAbilities) (a 2nd enveloping pit) to it, for a total of 6300g (1.75*3600g).

Gildedragon
2016-04-27, 05:05 PM
The sizing enchantment (MIC pg 43, +5000g) lets you change a weapon to "any size category you desire" (edit: as a swift action), which seems pretty much ideal for this situation. You could be using it as a toothpick one moment, and slicing a planet in half with it the next.

This is probably the handiest, costing 10Kgp to get on a pommelstone you can remove once you will be rid of the item

question though: what are you doing with a sword that size?

Moranlos
2016-04-27, 06:54 PM
The sizing enchantment (MIC pg 43, +5000g) lets you change a weapon to "any size category you desire" (edit: as a swift action), which seems pretty much ideal for this situation. You could be using it as a toothpick one moment, and slicing a planet in half with it the next

Thanks man! That is ideal. For those wondering, this was for a hypothetical fighter build that could wield it, and I just wanted to see if there was a viable way to do that.

unseenmage
2016-04-27, 07:52 PM
The Flying weapon enhancement makes the sword into an animated object.

Alternatively you could just animate objects the thing and have it squeeze into an enveloping pit. See my sig for details on how many constructs can fit into extradimensional spaces.