PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Can you put a spell from a scroll into a Contingency?

Mr Adventurer
2016-04-27, 01:12 PM
As the title. Especially if you had to UMD the scroll.

Âmesang
2016-04-27, 05:02 PM
Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.
Personally I don't see why it wouldn't be, although that leads me to a question; if so, which caster level would you use for the purpose of dispel checks? The contingency's caster level, or the scroll's caster level?

(I'm also banking on the idea that one could use a bead of karma to boost one's caster level enough so as to cast a contingent heal without having to resort to the adept's spell list.)

StreamOfTheSky
2016-04-28, 01:36 AM
Seems fine to me.

Personally I don't see why it wouldn't be, although that leads me to a question; if so, which caster level would you use for the purpose of dispel checks? The contingency's caster level, or the scroll's caster level?

(I'm also banking on the idea that one could use a bead of karma to boost one's caster level enough so as to cast a contingent heal without having to resort to the adept's spell list.)

For people casting dispel on you, it'd be the contingency that's active on you, so use that CL. Once the contingency is triggered, it ends and the attached spell is now active on you, so that CL would be used against dispel attempts at that point.

And if you want a contingent Heal spell, just use Fortunate Fate from Spell Compendium. It's a 7th level cleric spell, that's basically what it is. Well, a bit more complicated...

Pros:
- triggers when you'd die to hp damage and "undoes it" like close wounds
- can be cast on other people, unlike contingency
- no focus or material cost
- only 1 min. cast time, instead of 10 min....not that it matters much

Cons:
- 10 min/level duration only
- can't set the trigger for anything other than hitting -10 hp or worse
- you only benefit from the other aspects of Heal (curing poison and such) if that was what would have killed you

Âmesang
2016-04-28, 08:54 AM
I'd have to reconfigure some wealth to pick up a staff for that; my primary intent was to duplicate the spirit shaman's favored of the spirits ability… without being a spirit shaman, naturally. :smalltongue:

Mr Adventurer
2016-04-29, 07:17 AM
So scrolls work?

What about wands?

Âmesang
2016-04-29, 07:21 AM
I figure as long as you're the one casting the spell, whether it be via spell known/prepared, scroll, wand, staff, or potion, it should count. Once the spell is cast on you it would take effect… normally; but contingency delays the effect.

Although that leads me to question how possible would it be to apply contingency to a spell someone else is casting upon you; then again I also wonder if one could cast a spell from permanency's personal list upon oneself but have someone else cast permanency. :smallconfused: Hmm…

Fizban
2016-04-29, 07:45 AM
Spell completion items count you as the caster, thus you can use a scroll to fill a Contingency, which could itself be from a scroll.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-02, 12:06 PM
Spell completion items count you as the caster, thus you can use a scroll to fill a Contingency, which could itself be from a scroll.

Neat, thanks. Useful to know for Factotums! Shame Contingency does run out on you, though.