PDA

View Full Version : The chosen one of the storms

Val666
2016-04-27, 01:30 PM
Hello Giants! I'll be starting a nee game based on elements and my character have to fullfil the role of the Wind/Weather/Storm warrior. I was debating with Red Fel about the build ans he suggested a Stormlord/Storm sentry. The result was this:

Cleric 5/ Stormlord 2/ Storm Sentry 5/ Stormlord +8.

Feats:
1) Least Dragonmark of Storm
Flaw) Great Fortitude
Flaw) Flexible Mind
War Domain) Weapon Focus (Javelin)
3) Endurance
6) Lesser Dragonmark
9) Greater Dragonmark
12)
18)

I'd like some help with the feats or spell selection to meet te flavour pf the character. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want this to meet the "full casting is all you need" he fights with his javelins, toss some spells, he's free like the wind hahahahaa Thanks everyone in advance

Red Fel
2016-04-27, 01:43 PM
If you're going with a Greater Dragonmark for Control Winds, keep in mind the following language about tornados (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm): "All ranged attacks are impossible (even with siege weapons), as are Listen checks." Now, as a Stormlord, your Storm Walk and Storm Ride abilities protect you from adverse weather, including high winds; as a DM, I would extend this to your thrown weapons, given the fact that throwing javelins is part of the point of the class.

But keep in mind that this is a potential limitation with which you might have to deal.

Another option, depending on the DM's ruling, is to wield a pandemonic silver sword or other light weapon. Not necessarily to use as a weapon - you have javelins for that - but because pandemonic silver, in addition to counting as alchemical silver for DR purposes, reacts interestingly to high winds. Those within 30 feet of the weapon, as it is exposed to wind, must make a Will save, the DC depending on the strength of the wind (up to DC 28 in a tornado). Here's the part where the DM ruling comes in - the weapon has explicit rulings for a save in a tornado, but according to the rules on weather, you can't hear in a tornado (or, at least, can't make Listen checks). If the DM allows it - and he should, this is an example of specific trumping general - it's a great addition to your arsenal.

In theory, you could try for some kind of pandemonic silver Returning javelin, and just throw the same one over and over, but it's not quite as awe-inspiring as having infinite +3 Shocking Thundering Shocking Burst force javelins from a Glove of Endless Javelins.

Afgncaap5
2016-04-27, 02:05 PM
Just so I know all the details, I'm guessing that Mark of the Storm means you're playing a half-elf? I've heard of some people altering racial requirements for dragonmarks in non-Eberron campaigns, but half-elf is what I'm assuming. Similarly, are you using Eberron's action point system?

If yes to the latter, have you considered any of the dragonmark feats from the book Dragonmarked? The Dragonmark Mastery feat lets you use them to use dragonmark spell-like abilities as swift or immediate actions (I don't know if there's some way to determine which it is, or if it's something you choose each time you use it), and the Dragonmark Spellturning feat lets you use action points to turn spells up to a certain level based on the power of your mark (which could be visually interesting if you're controlling winds and waves to a degree that even magic spells are rebuffed by your mighty storms).

There are also some feats that give you bonus uses of Dragonmark abilities along with all new spell-like abilities, such as Dragonmark Adept, Dragonmark Prodigy, and Dragonmark Visionary have some fun options (I mean, the Storm Tower ability very much feels like it should be in the wheelhouse of someone chosen by storms.) Mighty Dragonmark would also increase DC and Caster Level of your dragonmark abilities if you see yourself using those often. Storm Rider and Storm's Riposte are both specifically geared toward Mark of the Storm bearers, but they seem underwhelming to me. Ultimately, that book's just got a lot of decent ideas for ways you can use feats to get more out of your Dragonmark.

That may be a little bit more focused on Dragonmarks than you're thinking, of course, but I felt they should be mentioned.

ATHATH
2016-04-27, 03:29 PM
If you're going with a Greater Dragonmark for Control Winds, keep in mind the following language about tornados (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm): "All ranged attacks are impossible (even with siege weapons), as are Listen checks." Now, as a Stormlord, your Storm Walk and Storm Ride abilities protect you from adverse weather, including high winds; as a DM, I would extend this to your thrown weapons, given the fact that throwing javelins is part of the point of the class.

But keep in mind that this is a potential limitation with which you might have to deal.

Another option, depending on the DM's ruling, is to wield a pandemonic silver sword or other light weapon. Not necessarily to use as a weapon - you have javelins for that - but because pandemonic silver, in addition to counting as alchemical silver for DR purposes, reacts interestingly to high winds. Those within 30 feet of the weapon, as it is exposed to wind, must make a Will save, the DC depending on the strength of the wind (up to DC 28 in a tornado). Here's the part where the DM ruling comes in - the weapon has explicit rulings for a save in a tornado, but according to the rules on weather, you can't hear in a tornado (or, at least, can't make Listen checks). If the DM allows it - and he should, this is an example of specific trumping general - it's a great addition to your arsenal.

In theory, you could try for some kind of pandemonic silver Returning javelin, and just throw the same one over and over, but it's not quite as awe-inspiring as having infinite +3 Shocking Thundering Shocking Burst force javelins from a Glove of Endless Javelins.
Does Pandemonic Silver actually say if the affected people have to hear it?

Val666
2016-04-27, 03:40 PM

Yeah, If the DM won't allow my javelins from STORMLORD work in a Tornado I'll stick with more devastating wind/thunder effects but I think droping a tornado over a town or enemy base/kingdom won't requiere javelins :v
Woah, that thing about pandemonic...tactics incoming pls!

Just so I know all the details, I'm guessing that Mark of the Storm means you're playing a half-elf? I've heard of some people altering racial requirements for dragonmarks in non-Eberron campaigns, but half-elf is what I'm assuming. Similarly, are you using Eberron's action point system?

If yes to the latter, have you considered any of the dragonmark feats from the book Dragonmarked? The Dragonmark Mastery feat lets you use them to use dragonmark spell-like abilities as swift or immediate actions (I don't know if there's some way to determine which it is, or if it's something you choose each time you use it), and the Dragonmark Spellturning feat lets you use action points to turn spells up to a certain level based on the power of your mark (which could be visually interesting if you're controlling winds and waves to a degree that even magic spells are rebuffed by your mighty storms).

There are also some feats that give you bonus uses of Dragonmark abilities along with all new spell-like abilities, such as Dragonmark Adept, Dragonmark Prodigy, and Dragonmark Visionary have some fun options (I mean, the Storm Tower ability very much feels like it should be in the wheelhouse of someone chosen by storms.) Mighty Dragonmark would also increase DC and Caster Level of your dragonmark abilities if you see yourself using those often. Storm Rider and Storm's Riposte are both specifically geared toward Mark of the Storm bearers, but they seem underwhelming to me. Ultimately, that book's just got a lot of decent ideas for ways you can use feats to get more out of your Dragonmark.

That may be a little bit more focused on Dragonmarks than you're thinking, of course, but I felt they should be mentioned.

I've read the other Dragonmark feats. Sadly we won't be using Action Points, yes I'm a half-elf but I was thinking bout using my level 12,15 and 18 feats for Quicken Dragonmark. It may be a waste of resources but using the abilities as swift action would be hilarious. Actually Quicken Dragonmark for the Greater Dragonmark wouldn't be that necesary. I'll re-read the other dragonmark feats, thanks Afgncaap5!

Red Fel
2016-04-27, 03:55 PM
Does Pandemonic Silver actually say if the affected people have to hear it?

Not specifically. It does say that its noise is a sonic, mind-affecting fear effect, so hearing is strongly implicated.

That said, the tornado text doesn't technically say you can't hear; it says you can't make any Listen checks. So you can't attempt to perceive specific sounds; doesn't mean you can't pick up any. It's a minute distinction, but hey.

daremetoidareyo
2016-04-27, 03:59 PM
Take the elf domain for a free point blank shot, then invest in tormtor school feat from DotU which allows you to throw a javelin as a swift action after striking someone in melee with it.