PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars New GM looking for story advice

fluppagus
2016-04-27, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone,

I've recently made my debut with my main role playing group. I'm running a heavily home-brewed version of Saga edition. I've so far run about 3 or 4 sessions (I don't quite remember as my group has several games going with different GM's and systems in use) and I think things have been going well so far as I've mostly run it as a sandbox. Until recently this was fine but I appear to have put myself into a bit of a corner.

To give some background, I've set my story a minimum of 800 years since the battle of Yavin. I haven't set an exact date as its not overly relevant as the current power in the galaxy, going by the Galactic Protectorate, established its own calendar starting with its formation. I have tried to set up the Protectorate as capable of being as ruthless as the Galactic Empire, but yet more widely accepted and supported as it made itself appear to be on the moral high ground to the general populace.

Like other fascist regimes the Protectorate moves the focus off itself and onto a separate group of people to blame all the ills in the galaxy. Where the Empire was Humanist, persecuting and often enslaving entire species for the betterment of the Empire, the Protectorate targets Force Users of all creeds. The Protectorate teaches that Force Users are responsible for all major conflicts within the galaxy as far back as anyone can remember (and from a certain perspective they're not wrong). As a result what little the general population did know about the Force and those that use it have been lost, the smaller Force schools eradicated, and the Jedi forgotten.

Now every child is scanned at birth for Force Sensitivity. If they are discovered to be strong in the Force they are implanted with a chip that completely inhibits the ability to tap into the Force and are officially marked second class citizens with a range of professions off limits to them (Education, Scientific Research, Military service etc). There is even an intelligence service entirely dedicated to keep the Force suppressed.

With this information in mind I let my players have the Force Sensitivity feat for free if the were registered Sensitives (with chips in their heads and everything). I also allowed them to have it normally if they came up with a decent backstory as to how they were missed when they were scanned at birth. I had two take the chip option and another who came from a planetary royal family and was paying the right people to have the scans always return negative.

Now the Protectorate is ultimately run by the Grand Overseer presiding over the Lord Protectors Council. The Overseer is the true power of the Protectorate. Their word is law. While the Lord Protectors may try to convince themselves that they have power, the Overseer could order their execution on a whim. No decision of any real import in the Protectorate happens without her input and approval.

The position of Grand Overseer is hereditary, but there is only ever one heir at any one time. Regardless of gender the heir takes the family name of the Overseer. The heir’s other parent has no political power. Trained their entire lives for the position, once the heir reaches 30 the current Overseer abdicates the throne and the heir takes over. At this point the retired Overseer becomes the more public face of the government and sits on the council of Protectors as the Grand Protector until death.

Now the reason I tell you that part is that early on in the campaign I introduced them to an NPC who is a rogue agent of a shadowy organisation called the Overseer's Will, which as you may have guessed report directly and only to the Overseer. What makes them stand out however is that all OW agents are Force Sensitives with special versions of the Force suppression chip that simply limits their potential rather than block it out right.

Ultimately Tarc (the rogue agent) decided he wanted out, and the players stumble into him as generic security forces attempt to apprehend him. Jumping (correctly) to the conclusion that he was a Force user from the fact that he was just a generic human who was capable of cracking combat armor with his bare fists, they helped him escape and get off the planet where the whole lot of them made it their mission in life to find a way to remove the chips from their heads and learn more about the Force.

Now this eventually lead to them finding an ancient Jedi Holocron, I'm talking Old Republic glory days old, that's basically capable of teaching them everything and anything with the exception of some of the Tradition specific stuff (like the Dathomir witches or Jennassari for example), though obviously nothing dark sided. But my problem is that I need justification for the holocron teaching them as the holocron is imprinted with the memories and personalty of a jedi master and NPC Tarc and one of the players gained a dark side point or two along the way. Now obviously the NPC isn't the real issue here as I can guide him to the light at my leisure (he did choose to leave the shadowy organisation after all), but the player makes it more complicated. He had a perfectly good reason for doing what he did that fit the character, who while a good person is determined to protect his friends and to become as powerful as possible in order to achieve that. So it's a "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" scenario. What the holocron feels it needs to teach them in order for it to be safe it instruct them in the use of the Force is that the ends don't always justify the means.

TL/DR

So basically what I'm after is mission idea's that would be given by an ancient Jedi holocron to teach a bunch of Force user novices and their friends that the ends don't always justify the means in order to feel comfortable with teaching them more about the Force.

Thanks in advance for any of your input, and feel free to post any questions you may have as well.

Water Bob
2016-05-08, 11:36 AM
But my problem is that I need justification for the holocron teaching them as the holocron is imprinted with the memories and personalty of a jedi master and NPC Tarc and one of the players gained a dark side point or two along the way.

So basically what I'm after is mission idea's that would be given by an ancient Jedi holocron to teach a bunch of Force user novices and their friends that the ends don't always justify the means in order to feel comfortable with teaching them more about the Force.

Sounds like an excellent game. You've obviously put a lot of work into this. I bet you guys are having a great time playing through this creative Star Wars story.

To answer your question, why not set the players up in a mission where there is a moral decision to be made. For example, the Holocron sends them on a mission to rescue a girl (she could be a woman) who has tremendous strength strength in the Force. Except, the chip has suppressed her. Even so, her power with the Force, and her pure will to be free and survive, has defeated the chip (burned it out) three times so that now, she is kept in captivity by the Overseer. He doesn't want it getting out that the Force can be that strong and defeat the technology of the chip. Yet, she is living proof that the Force acts in mysterious ways and can be more powerful than anyone can possibly imagine.

Of course, word has leaked out about this girl--this woman that is so strong in the Force--that she's become a de facto leader with an army of underground force users, those who wish to see that natural order returned with the Force taking its rightful place in the universe.

It sounds like your overall story is about how the Force, nearly snuffed out of existence, was brought back into full prominence to the galaxy through the actions of your heroes.

These underground force users are almost like a banned religion. They believe that the galaxy is actually dying in the absence of the Force. The Force is part of life. Like water, food, sleep, the essence of the Force is a necessary component for all beings to live. To suppress it is to slowly kill the universe.

And this girl I speak of (I think of her as young, but a prodigy, incredibly talented with the Force) is a key. If the PCs can break her out of her Overseer prison and make her presence known to the greater galaxy, not only will the underground force users rise up, but people from all over the galaxy will rebel!

She's akin to a Force messiah.

So, the PCs must rescue her! The must launch this rebellion! The greatest rebellion in the galaxy's history! The rebellion against the Overseer to bring back the essence of life to the galaxy! The Force!

But...

You can't have the Light without the Dark.

And, the Dark always has a hand in the same bowl as that of the light, one mixing clock-wise, the other mixing a counter.

Set the rescue up so that the players have a choice. During the mission, the players find out about the Dark Side's hand in everything that is happening in the galaxy. There is no one person controlling the Dark Side. Here, we're dealing with the Dark Side of the Force itself!

If the girl is released, and the rebellion begins, not only will billions of people die, but also the Light Side users will fall right into place for the Dark Side's plans. The girl, released, will ultimately cause chaos in the galaxy. The Overseer's special unit, the OW, is just the tip. There is a secret Dark Side army waiting to snuff out the Light Side forever.

If the girl starts the rebellion...the Light Side of the Force is doomed. People will rise up...identify themselves...and become targets for the overwhelming forces of the Dark Side.

The players learn that the plan to rescue the girl and start the rebellion was really part of the Dark Side's plan all along. It is the spark--the key--that will signal the end of the Light Side entirely.

This is epic.

If the players succeed in rescuing the girl, then the galaxy will be lead down a path to where the Light Side will be snuffed out permanently.

The eons old conflict between Light and Dark will end.

The Dark Side will win.

The players learn this...and they must make a decision.

They must betray the girl and see her killed in order to save the Light Side for the entire galaxy.

Or, the girl lives. The Light Side rebellion begins. Falling right into the plans of the Dark Side, with the eventual destruction of the entire Light Side of the Force.

HOW'S THAT FOR A CHOICE!

The Holocron will see how the PCs deal with this ultimate question. How the PCs deal with the issue--the decision they make--will help the Holocron to decide whether they are worthy.

The correct decision, as hard as it is--as unlikely as it sounds--is for the girl to sacrifice herself for the greater good. Either PCs kill her, or they leave her when they could have helped her, in the rescue attempt. If this is done, then the girl will become a martyr. And that will be the spark that really brings the Light Side back into balance.

People will rise up, but secretly. It will be a secret rebellion. The Light Side will gather its forces quietly until it is time to strike.

And the girl will become part of the Force, revealing herself the way Obi-wan Kenobi would reveal himself to Luke, teaching him. At times, when the players commune with the holocron, the girl will appear and instruct them as well. Where the holocron is ancient, the girl is of the present. Together, the teachings will be complete, the past and the present of the Light Side working together to instruct and grow the real heroes of the story...

...the player characters.

That's a little more long winded than what I intended when I started typing, but it's a complicated answer to a sophisticated Star Wars story that you've developed. A simple answer would not do. I thought you would need something that is on the same sophistication level as the story that you've presented.

Anyway, that's my two credits worth.

MintyNinja
2016-05-11, 03:18 PM
-SNIP-

Holy crap yes! Do that. I don't even like Force Sensitives or Jedi or Sith in my Star Wars, but damn, that would be so cool!

fluppagus
2016-07-20, 01:43 AM
snip

Firstly I'd like to thank you Water Bob for putting in such a long reply. I was blown away by the amount of effort you put into the response and it is a really cool idea.

Secondly I'd like to apologize for waiting so long to respond. I went to respond on the day I received it but life got in the way and my role playing group has a lot of different games running.

Unfortunately, while this is a really cool idea you could probably run a sizable campaign off this idea alone. To do it justice I'd want it to play out with them rescuing her only to watch as everything falls apart and then have it snap back to one of the party members in the moment when they were about to rescue here and have basically the Star Wars equivalent of it was all a dream and dump the dilemma in their laps is it better to rescue her to overthrow the Protectorate or should they leave her to her fate and find another way. Though that would probably tick them off a bit... also my overall plan is that I'm trying to have the Force gently guide the party into becoming the heroes (my working title is Liberation of the Force), and having them rescue a super powerful force user who overshadows them all when they where previously functioning entirely independently feels off.

The other sticking point is that it doesn't quite fit with the world I've setup. This isn't really your fault, as the information that might have suggested it was a bad idea wasn't in my original post (I felt it was getting a little too long as it was).

The first important info is that whatever Government the existed before the Protectorate isn't completely dead. What was left of the Government and loyal military forces retreated to the Unknown regions and formed an Alliance with the Chiss Ascendancy. The Protectorate is waging a constant war with the AIS (Alliance of Independent Systems). This is kept quiet however as the official propaganda of the Protectorate is that they are fully in control of the galaxy. The AIS for there part hold out due to their slight advantage in technology, better trained troops, and the ever changing hyper lanes of the Unknown regions which the AIS can navigate far more easily than the Protectorate.

Secondly, the Jedi order does in fact continue to exist in the AIS, though after several hundred years of constant war they mostly exist as an extension of the AIS military and are struggling to maintain their connection to the light side of the Force and the traditions of their order.

The third point, probably the most important, that I'm hoping to be a big (though probably obvious) plot twist towards the end of the campaign is that the Galactic Protectorate is built on a lie. As you may remember, the Protectorates main justification for its actions is that Force users are responsible for all strife that takes place in the galaxy. In the broadest sense they're not wrong, and I'm hoping this will overall disguise this fact until I reveal it.

The Galactic Protectorate is ruled by a Sith family using a modified version of the Rule of Two. It is modified in the sense that one does not kill their Master (parent), rather once the child is of age the parent simply steps aside when the Apprentice (child) becomes of age. They also only ever have one child, so as to avoid sibling rivalries. This has proven to be an effective system, as the Overseer family has reigned largely uncontested over the majority of the galaxy for centuries.

TL/DR

Great idea, doesn't quite fit my campaign. Its also a little on the long side. I was trying to come up with something that could be wrapped up in a session or 3 so I could get out of the way of the PC's learning some of the more interesting Force abilities. Since I'm using a holocron that dates back to the Old Republic I've been toying with the idea of using what I know from the MMO and sending them to Tython. Maybe having them sort out some plot between the Flesh Raiders and the descendants of the Twi'lek refugees but I'm not entirely sure how to make that play out (remember the moral I'm trying to teach is that the ends don't always justify the means).

Thanks again for everything.