PDA

View Full Version : Help with a megaquest (and maybe ideas for other players)

Specter
2016-04-27, 03:34 PM
So, on another thread I've asked for a good city to start a campaign in FR (I chose Calimport). Now I come to ask for your aid in elaborating a clandestine, dangerous, creative and exciting three-day exploration contest.

The idea is:
- The PCs (monk, fighter, bard and another guy) all find a card which leads them to a tavern at a specific time. There, they're gathered with other 12 NPCs without really knowing what's going on.
- A man dressed elegantly enters the room some time after that, and tells them they will be split in 4 teams of 4 for a challenge, which will reward the winners with 1000GP and magic items (at level 2, that should be good motivation).
- After embarking on the quest, they will be given directions to a specific wall of a ward which contains a riddle. After that, one thing leads to the other.

My plan is to have three stages for this: an intelligence testing part, with riddles and games through the town, an exploration-based part, where players would have to look for specific items in unusual places (sewers, the desert, abandoned houses, etc.), and a combat-oriented part, where they're sent to dangerous places and must come out safely, to finally receive their reward.

What I need help with:
- Ideas for mind games other than riddles (I got some of those from another thread);
- Which challenges to present in urban exploration of places, and what skill/tool proficiencies are relevant;
- What formal or impromptu combat should be involved? I've been thinking about giant rats in the sewer and gladiatorial matches in town, but I'm not sure.

Thank you in advance.