PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help Building a Skirmisher

Dravda
2016-04-28, 12:02 AM
Inspired by a certain ronin... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bxND4XbY4)

I'm making a character for an upcoming campaign and wanted to try something mechanically unusual. We all know 'optimized' melee characters look for ways to execute full attacks, but I'd like to try something different. Specifically, a two-handed fighter (or similar) who is extremely mobile, utilizing Spring Attack, Acrobatics, and the like to execute a single, devastating attack before dancing out of reach. If every other melee character on the planet is built around making full attacks, then the one who is happy taking single swings will be king.

The campaign will be starting at level 1, and going to 20 (supposedly.) The other characters will be a ninja with a similar skirmisher/opportunistic melee combatant build, a druid focused on summoning and tanking, an arcanist (specialty unknown), and another character (class unknown), so I should be able to get away with not behaving like a traditional "tank" but instead taking strafing runs.

The key elements of the build are as follows, in order of importance:

Uses a nodachi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/nodachi), for criticals later and bracing tastiness (and critical to the character concept)
Is able to make single, powerful strikes, beginning and ending outside of reach.
Forces the enemy to make tactical sacrifices, not able to make use of their own preferred tactics in order to adapt to his.
Mystical-flavored (nothing as overt as spellcasting, but some supernatural abilities would be cool)
At least medium armor (this is the most flexible requirement)

To this end, I am thinking about going human Fighter with the Sensate archetype. Starting feats will be Dodge, Mobility, and Quick Draw (mm, iaijutsu). Later feats will focus on taking Power Attack, Furious Focus, Cleave, and let's not forget Spring Attack. At level 8, I'll take Improved Critical and move into some Critical feats to make those single hits truly felt.

Any suggestions? Anything I'm overlooking that could fulfill this concept better?

Should I take Vital Strike? On the surface, it seems perfectly-built for a build like this, but it doesn't play well with Spring Attack OR Cleave (boo hiss hiss!)

Are there any ways (feats, magic items, etc) to better take advantage of bracing? The most obvious solution to counter a character who's dancing around the battlefield is to charge them, and I'd like to really make the enemy regret that decision when possible.

One final note is that I'm playing with a group largely comprised of newbies, so the character doesn't need to be TERRIBLY optimized, just well-played. Also, I'd like to keep 3PP content to a minimum, if at all possible.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-04-28, 12:13 AM
Well... You seem to have a good idea of what you need. I highly recommend Path of War, however. The strikes aren't compatible with vital strike, but are almost universally better. And, its well-regarded, and its pretty much exactly what you are looking for. The Harbinger in particular is intended to be a skirmisher, but a Warlord should be able to do what you need, and be able to pull some extra tricks regardless.

Devacorian
2016-04-28, 12:35 AM
I'm definitely intrigued to see what advice people give here. As the GM of the game this character is for, I second the sentiment about limited 3PP material. Things like Reflexive Brace feel completely OP compared to published material, and I'm really hesitant to mess with game balance with so many new people in the party. And because nobody, and I mean nobody in the group is familiar with Path of War material, I'm hesitant to add that to the mix as well.

Having said that, it sounds like this character needs ways to utilize action economy to its fullest. Something like a Quick Runner's Shirt is a good low-level solution, while Boots of Speed are going to be a good higher-level resource.

Ultimately, the problem with trying to build an optimized skirmisher like this is the fact that the build, in and of itself, isn't optimized. I don't really think there's a way to get it to hit the level of a full-attacking, power-attacking beatstick fighter. But as you said, Dravda, optimization isn't necessarily the key here.

I'm definitely a fan of the sensate fighter for flavor, despite the fact that a two-handed fighter archetype will yield better optimization.

Krazzman
2016-04-28, 01:21 AM
I'm definitely intrigued to see what advice people give here. As the GM of the game this character is for, I second the sentiment about limited 3PP material. Things like Reflexive Brace feel completely OP compared to published material, and I'm really hesitant to mess with game balance with so many new people in the party. And because nobody, and I mean nobody in the group is familiar with Path of War material, I'm hesitant to add that to the mix as well.

I would like to propose, if you don't have the funds use the PFSRD for now, that you certainly should start looking it up.

If you want to adress certain elements that are rubbishly balanced I would advice you to Houserule TWF and Vital Strike to be "better".

Roll Vital Strike into one feat that loads every attack into one(this time also counting for the bonus attack gained via Haste effects). The most damage you will see of this would be: 5 * 1d10 + 1.5 * Str-Mod + 1* Enchantments/Other feats and Buffs. (Normal Vital strike would cost 3 feats and bring at most 4d10 + his other boni once.
Else he could try to get a level of Brawler and get Pummeling Style.

Let Vital Strike be usable with Spring attack.

TWF should just be aligned with Flurry of Blows. (Get an offhand attack each time you hit with your mainhand).

For the build itself:
I believe Stalker or Ranger would both fit quite good for this.

avr
2016-04-28, 06:22 AM
A fighter in a game with a druid and an arcanist isn't going to feel terribly relevant when the game hits double-digit levels. Possibly earlier, if they optimise or just get lucky with their choices possibly much earlier. Rangers can stay relevant a bit longer but the problem still exists that martial characters < full spellcasters at higher levels.

The obvious way to counter someone who's dancing around the battlefield is to reduce their mobility, with spells or combat maneuvers. If they do decide to charge you (perhaps because they can't do either effectively) the best counter to charging is reach. A reach weapon, potions of enlarge person, whatever. Combat Reflexes helps, & at low levels tripping on the AoO is effective without much investment.

Florian
2016-04-28, 07:25 AM
@Dravda:

Basing a PF character on a video game hero seldom or never leads to any satisfying results.

I think you can come close the the "feeling" with a pouncing barbarian or, if you can wait to level 10, with a sword-saint Samurai.

Dravda
2016-05-03, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm going to take a look at what's available, but I may end up scrapping it for another character altogether.