PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help for a character build

Shaffi
2016-04-28, 02:23 AM
Hello,

my so is going to create/build her first pathfinder and pen paper character. She wants to fight with a quarterstaff (some kind of martial arts style).

Is there any class thats made for this kind of build?

The only two classes I could think of would be monk or ranger (with twf ranger feats).

Some advices would be really great.

Thanks a lot

nintendoh
2016-04-28, 04:25 AM
What kind or martial art? Does she want a crouching tiger one or a dragon ball z one? There is always the ninja. You might just want to build her a fighter with twf and fluff it as a martial artist. Keep it simple for her first game.

avr
2016-04-28, 06:03 AM
An unchained monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/monk-unchained) is pretty simple to play, and swinging a quarterstaff two-handed (possibly with power attack) in a flurry of blows is effective. Dragon Style at level 3 makes getting around the battlefield easier and qualifying it is as simple as breathing for an unchained monk.

Edit: All of the above is using the quarterstaff two-handed. Effective TWF with a quarterstaff requires other tricks, possibly with that ranger with combat style feats you mentioned.

Shaffi
2016-04-28, 10:36 AM
Yeah I stumbled about the unchained monk too, seems pretty good compared to the old monk class. I think she should use the ascetic stance, but in the end its her decision.

Thanks a lot

digiman619
2016-04-28, 11:57 PM
There's also the Staff Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/staff-magus).

Arutema
2016-04-30, 02:40 PM
Seconding the unchained monk.

As the quarterstaff is a monk weapon, check out The Monk Weapon Skill trait from Weapon Master's Handbook, +1 trait bonus to damage is always handy.

A medium can do decent Str-based TWF with a quarterstaff since the medium gets bonuses to attack and damage from the champion spirit that aren't reduced for off-hand attacks. I honestly wouldn't recommend it for a first-time player though.