PDA

View Full Version : Portable Pathfinder Adventures for iOS and Android

VexingFool
2016-04-28, 03:16 AM
Pathfinder Adventures from Obsidian is a digital version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game by Paizo. The game released today April 28th 2016 for iOS and Android tablets. Phones are currently not supported. Future device support including PC via Steam are in development.

The game is Free to Play with in-game Gold that can be used to unlock more content and characters. You can also unlock the content piece meal via in-app purchases or purchase a season pass which unlocks all content and characters.

What is included with the initial game:
Perils of the Lost Coast which includes the scenarios Brigandoom!, The Poison Pill and Black Fang's Dungeon.
Characters: Merisiel and Kyra

What you get with the Season Pass:
All currently released Rise of the Runelords Adventures
All future RotR Adventures
All RotR characters (including the Add-On deck characters)
Character Add-On Deck (deck C)
Promo Cards!

Add-On Deck Characters: Ezren, Harsk, Lem, Seoni, Valeros (1,500gp ea)
Add-On Deck ‘C’ Characters: Amiri, Lini, Sajan, Seelah (2,000gp each)

Burnt Offerings Adventure Pack is currently 80% off for 750gp and the Skinsaw Murders is 4000gp. The other adventure packs are not available yet but are expected to release 1 at time within weeks. Each adventure pack contains 5 scenarios as well as new locations, monsters and items.

Gold is earned by completing scenarios, you can repeat the scenarios to earn more gold. There is also a quest mode that generates a random scenario and is worth more gold the higher difficulty you play on. You earn 100gp for completing a scenario on normal difficulty and 150-200gp for the other difficulties. You also receive a small amount of gold for defeating monsters, usually between 1-5gp.

Different character combinations, locations and equipment can trigger special dialogs.

I don’t have the game yet but I’ll be downloading it as soon as I get home from work. Currently it looks like they are having some server connectivity issues causing problems with earned gold being lost and purchased items not showing as active. Several users have resolved the purchased items not active issue by doing a full restart on the game.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 10:39 AM
My tablet is woefully out of date (Jellybean or even ICS I think) so I'll probably be waiting until this hits the phone market. If I can run Hearthstone with no lag then this should be a cinch.

I wonder if they plan on working on a NWN-style single-player/small-scale multiplayer RPG at some point?

VexingFool
2016-04-29, 01:08 AM
So I downloaded the game today and played through the tutorial and the free scenarios. I am enjoying the game so far, I had not played the PACG before but I had downloaded the rules from Paizo and gave them a once-over before playing. I failed the first scenario due to time running out and not really knowing what I was doing. On my second go through I did much better and completed the other two scenarios on the first try.

I was surprised at how greedy and violent Merisiel is. I never got that impression from her artwork but I suppose it fits her CN nature. She is powerhouse in combat especially when able to use her sneak attack. Any fight she can't win she can evade. She also overcomes obstacles and traps with ease and seems to accumulate weapons and items by the truckload.

Kyra is exactly like you would expect her to be, a good and devoted servant of Sarenrae. She is OK in combat but can augment it with her tremendous amounts of blessings. She destroys undead opponents with ease. I find she has to use her healing power and spells mostly on herself because she does not seem to get the loot like Merisiel.

I went ahead and purchased the season pass and created a new group that I am going to try out. Once I have run them through Perils of the Lost Coast I am going to have them join with my other group to start Burnt Offerings. My new group is Amiri, Harsk, Ezren and Lem. I've heard Lini is very amusing so I'll have to try her out sometime.

My tablet is woefully out of date (Jellybean or even ICS I think) so I'll probably be waiting until this hits the phone market. If I can run Hearthstone with no lag then this should be a cinch.

I wonder if they plan on working on a NWN-style single-player/small-scale multiplayer RPG at some point?
I don't think the restriction is due to hardware or OS but due to size of the UI on a phone. They say it can work on iPad 2 (said to be very slow) and the OS requirement is iOS 7.1 (current iOS version is 9.3.1). I'm not sure how that translates to Android. Several users claimed to have it working on their phones, since it is free to download/play probably no harm in trying.

I would love for Obsidian to make a Pathfinder RPG although I would prefer a turn-based like ToEE but I would be happy if they used Pillars of Eternity/BG type engine.

Nepenthe
2016-05-02, 06:06 PM
Is Quest mode working for anyone else? It lets me pick my party and adventure, then goes to a loading screen that seems to freeze (I left it for at least 10 min. once and still nothing).

I'm having a blast in Story mode though.

VexingFool
2016-05-03, 03:20 AM
I haven't tried quest mode, I've been having too much fun with story mode. I did find this on the Obsidian forums:
We also have an issue with Quest mode right now so I'd stay away until we roll out the patch... No ETA on the patch.

So far I've completed the story mode of the current adventures with a 6-man party and with a solo character I've completed all adventures on Heroic. I've started another group with the remaining characters.

Ezren, Harsk, Kyra, Lem, Lini and Valeros. I changed my mind from my original plans to run Amiri in this party. When I ran Amiri through Perils of the Lost Coast I was unsatisfied with how she played. I really hated that her Rage ability buries a card instead of discards, so I swapped her for Valeros. Val just fit better with my expectations for a warrior type. His ability to discard/recharge weapons is awesome and his team aiding power is good for a large party.

I struggled with this group a bit at first. I ran out of time several tries before I figured out the amount of blessings and allies I needed to use for extra explorations. I especially struggled on the Approach to Thistletop, failing three times before I succeeded. Since there were no spells in any of the locations for that scenario it made my favorite character Ezren much less useful.

Ezren is awesome in my opinion. Some say he is a support character but I use him as a main and he rocks. He can close down a site with lots of spells like the Academy or Thassilonian Dungeon very quickly. I've gone through an entire site in one turn picking up 5 new spells plus some items before closing it out. Then he heads down to the docks where he laughs at the -1 per weapon die rolled as he blasts all the monsters. He has no problem with locations that have multiple fights per turn since I have his spells recharging on a 1 and he cycles through his deck very quickly. I ran through the Justice Ironbriar scenario on Heroic a couple of extra times to get Ezren a couple of higher levels spells, he now has Haste, Lightning Bolt and Fire Bolt. Currently these recharge on 3+ on 1d12 but his next power/skill increase will remedy that.

Now that I've got better equipment, allies and spells I'm having a much easier time. I went through Skinsaw Murders without failing any scenarios. Val has all magical weapons and armor, the armors all allow recharge so I can cycle extras back into his deck. Kyra has 2 magic shields that can recycle as well. Harsk has old Deathbane crossbow and now has the Snakeskin tunic. I need to get Lem a better weapon, he is currently using Allying Dart +1 but could use a bit more firepower.

I went with Sajan for my Solo run and so far he has punched his way easily through all the current scenarios on Heroic. Although his in-game text is that of a LN zen monk, in my head I hear Khelgar from NWN2, "So then I punched him in the face...". Really there ain't much more to him than that, use his allies to get extra turns if needed and acquire a few boons. Discard a couple of blessings to avoid some barriers and save your blessings for the fights. He gets better the closer to the end of the game it gets and the smaller his deck becomes. Ideally for the villain you want just blessings in your deck, 6d10 or more is usually enough to easily best them. Even if you roll poorly you have no cards left in your hand to take damage with and just hit them with 5 blessings again next turn.

I just wish there was a toggle button for his finesse/use Dexterity power, I get tired of re-activating it every fight. They have a toggle on the magic trait button for it so I don't know why they could not add it to the base power.

Amiri, Merisiel, Seelah and Seoni. So I decided to start a third game with the other characters while waiting for Hook Mountain Massacre to come out. Once again I struggled a bit with learning how to use the powers and abilities of these new characters, although I did complete all scenarios on the first try. After completing the 3rd scenario for Burnt Offerings I am feeling better about this group. Their equipment, items and allies are coming together. I find that makes a huge difference in how the characters play. The main weakness of this party is Intelligence and I'll need to figure a way of mitigating it.

Seelah's power was nice for avoiding blessings in the Shrine to Lamashtu and for avoiding several checks in the Glassworks. I feel better about about Amiri now, she can beat most monsters in a straight up fight and her rage is there for emergencies and boss fights. Seoni is pretty good but I think I prefer Ezren for an Arcane slot, once I get her a couple more spells in her deck I think she'll really shine. Of course Merisiel is excellent doing what rogues do best, scouting, overcoming traps and finding the loot.

Definitely been having fun with this game and can't wait til the rest of Rise of the Runelords content is out. I am really happy that I can play the game offline if I want to, sure I don't earn any 'gold' but I can still progress through the story and earn loot.

Only had a couple of bugs, like an occasional card getting stuck in the played zone. Though I did run into a nasty one today. I was supposed to bury a card from the discard pile but the card got 'lost' as I tried to drag it to the bury pile. Well the whole game then locked up and I couldn't do anything other than enlarge cards. So I close the app down and reboot my iPad for good measure but when I continue the game I was stuck at the Sandpoint Map with the game still waiting for me to bury a card. Eventually I was able to click on the empty spot on the map where the Glassworks was supposed to be and it took me into that location. Then I was able to click the turn cycle arrows at the top and it finally progressed. I'm not sure if it ever buried the card I was trying to or not.

Psyren
2016-05-03, 08:26 AM
Got it on my phone last night and cleared the tutorial. It's a fun little romp. And I never thought I'd say this, but Fighters are broken :smallbiggrin:

Aran Thule
2016-05-05, 03:28 AM
Is Quest mode working for anyone else? It lets me pick my party and adventure, then goes to a loading screen that seems to freeze (I left it for at least 10 min. once and still nothing).

Getting the same but as mentioned above it seems to be a common bug which we have to wait for the patch to fix