PDA

View Full Version : Trying to prepare some characters

Gdrad
2007-06-24, 11:15 AM
In a couple of weeks Ill be getting together with some WoW guildies, and we will be playing a planescape game. I was wondering if anyone would toss me some advice.
The primary character Id want to roll up is a ranged ranger Gnome. Improved improvised weapons being the level 1 feat. Reasoning? He throws beer bottles, and rocks at his enemies. He will of course have a short bow though. Any advice on low level rangers would be welcome.
The secoundary character Im thinking of is a shadowdancer. Mostly cause I think the flavor is fun. However I'd want to get into the PrC itself ASAP. So any ideas how early I can get 10 ranks in hide? Seems like Id need to wait awhile...

PlatinumJester
2007-06-24, 11:39 AM
Get quick draw otherwise half your combat time will be getting out weapons.
I would also recomend being a halfin instead of gnome. Favoured enemy should be human since you will fight loads of them probably. Get the Arms and Equipment guide since it has halfling skiprocks, bolas and orc shotputs but the best thing is the Gnomish Calculus which increase the range of thrown weapons to 50 ft. A knife vest is also a good investment as is alchemists fire.
As feats go, I would say point blank shot.
A good prestige would be the master thrower class from complete warrior.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-06-24, 11:42 AM
The only way to get 10 ranks in Hide is to be level 7.

Tallis
2007-06-24, 11:46 AM
What about skill focus:hide? With that you could do it at level 4.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-24, 11:54 AM
Skill focus doesn't give you ranks in a skill it gives a +3 bonus.

Gdrad
2007-06-24, 11:55 AM
Wouldn't skill focus (hide) help me get it earlier? Though on the otherhand thats 1 less feat I'd have access to. Stealthy feat also looks like it would help.

I see quick draw, and how it notes that it improves throwing rates. And Ill keep it underconisderation. However I do not see what throwing rates are without quickdraw...Ive also been considering a halfling too.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-24, 12:01 PM
No skill focus would not help you get there quicker. Not getting quick draw is stupid otherwise you can only take one attack per round. Halflings are best at throwing however a gnome is good a crafting alchemy which is helpful for making alchemists fire cheaply.

GET arms and equipment guide since it wil make life sooo much easier.

Gdrad
2007-06-24, 12:04 PM
Fly in the buttermilk I tells ya. Thanks for the quick answers.

Tallis
2007-06-24, 12:10 PM
Skill focus doesn't give you ranks in a skill it gives a +3 bonus.

KK, wasn't sure of the RAW on that. Might be worth asking your DM about anyway. Houserules could allow it to work.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-24, 12:19 PM
The Dm would probably say that bonuses to skills from abilities such as Dexterity in this case don't add ranks or allow you to get prestige classes quicker so why skill focus. It's still worth getting.

averagejoe
2007-06-24, 12:41 PM
KK, wasn't sure of the RAW on that. Might be worth asking your DM about anyway. Houserules could allow it to work.

Ranks are only what you buy with skill points. There is no way to increase them other than leveling up. All other bonuses are just bonuses, not "ranks." Heck, with that system you could probably figure builds that could get to many prestige classes at level two.