PDA

View Full Version : Low level campaign help

Sergio
2016-04-28, 09:39 AM
Hey,
I've got to make a new character for a low-level campaign (I will start by being level 6).

Honestly I got bored of mages (while they are low level, I find them to be more an hassle then something to be reckoned on), and we got already a fighter, a druid, and a cleric.

There lies a few problems:

> I want to be evil, but not too much evil. Well, it depends on how I feel
> My DM uses constructs, undead, and stuff that gets DR reduction.
> I even thought to use a bard, but I feel llike being low level I will probably be pretty useless.

So I was undecided between a paladin of the tyranny or something else. Honestly I hate to powerplay, but my DM already killed two of my characters. I don't mind abusing stuff for now, just not if I glitch too badly (like some weird classes , pin pin and stuff of this sort).

Suggestions?
And what if I want a mount?

goto124
2016-04-28, 09:49 AM
Sounds like DnD, but which version of DnD?

Takewo
2016-04-28, 09:49 AM
Just to make sure, what you're talking about D&D 3, right? Is it 3, 3.5 or Pathfinder? Also, what sources are you allowed to use?

EDIT: goto ninja'd me. But still, I think the question about sources is important enough not to delete this post.

Sergio
2016-04-28, 03:46 PM
Apologize, I meant D&D 3.5

Sergio
2016-04-28, 04:53 PM
and sorry if I didn't write it before!

edit: *gasp* didn't see there was an edit button..

Inevitability
2016-04-29, 03:52 AM
If you want to be 'evil, but not very evil', don't play a paladin of tyranny. It's a class that completely forbids you from doing Good; that doesn't seem to mesh with your ideas.

If you're a bard, you can definitely be useful at low-levels. Silverbrow human bard with dragonfire inspiration, a masterwork natural horn and inspirational boost can give everyone in the party (including the druid's summons/animal companion) +3d6 extra fire damage on all attacks all day long. Note that as fire damage, this overcomes DR.

If you want a mount, either buy one or take the Wild Cohort feat (freely available online).

lhilas
2016-04-29, 05:33 AM
I'd suggest you try going for a warblade, focusing on Stone Dragon , that way you can laugh at whatever DR-monstrosity you're facing.
Also, tome of battle characters tend to be useful at all levels and from my experience alot of fun as well.
In addition, it will sinergys well with the your team composition: you will get lots of buffs and heals, while also debuffing your enemies and setting up good combos for your fighter to help you with.

Sergio
2016-04-29, 09:04 AM
I'd suggest you try going for a warblade, focusing on Stone Dragon , that way you can laugh at whatever DR-monstrosity you're facing.
Also, tome of battle characters tend to be useful at all levels and from my experience alot of fun as well.
In addition, it will sinergys well with the your team composition: you will get lots of buffs and heals, while also debuffing your enemies and setting up good combos for your fighter to help you with.

Thank you for your help ! But my DM has banned Warblade.

I'm wondering; I wish to multiclass my paladin into a knight of the chalice (Legal good paladin). So...can you suggest:

1) On which level should I turn my paladin into a chalice knight?

2) Is there a guide on what I should pick? (e.g feats, talents, a step by step guide on what I should do each level given that I'm pretty new to D&D and I played only mages to this day)

3) I don't want to use mounts. Am I forced to go full Smite mode?

4) Any other suggestion?

Sword-Geass
2016-04-29, 09:31 AM
(like some weird classes , pin pin and stuff of this sort).

Pin-pin? What is that? Some sort of kibild with nigh infinite stits?

Now on topic, if you don't want to be super evil, don't go with a paladin variant. Also playing a paladin and having a decent level of optimization (which is not powergaming) are things that go in oposite directions.

Final thing, any class can be evil, the important part is how you play them.

Of topic again: Sergio do you speak spanish? That "legal" cought me.

Pd: if you wan't to be evil, how are you going for chalice?

Sergio
2016-04-29, 09:46 AM
Pin-pin? What is that? Some sort of kibild with nigh infinite stits?

Now on topic, if you don't want to be super evil, don't go with a paladin variant. Also playing a paladin and having a decent level of optimization (which is not powergaming) are things that go in oposite directions.

Final thing, any class can be evil, the important part is how you play them.

Of topic again: Sergio do you speak spanish? That "legal" cought me.

Pd: if you wan't to be evil, how are you going for chalice?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to PUN PUN, or Omnificer, etc.

Ok, let me explain better because it is true that it seems like I'm jumping quite a lot on these posts.

My DM heavily likes good\neutral oriented campaigns. I was (After two of my evil characters died) suggested to avoid evil roleplays because I'm simply not able to make them last long enough (I usually use complex backgrounds and they put a heavy toll on me).

When I was talking about death knight to my DM, he suggested me to try to use that concept for a good 'roleplay'. So, given the fact that my last character died because of a demon lord trapped inside a book, I was actually thinking about roleplaying a paladin whose intent is to guard this book, and that came back to life just to banish once again this creature.

Or, I could go for a necropolitan idea, if this character was supposed to guard the book forever (by being necropolitan).

The truth is that I've never played fighter\paladins; I find them to be weird and complex on their own. Charge, smite, etc, etc.

And I'm also scared of all the stuff the DM can throw at me, constructs, undead, and stuff of this sort.

So I'm looking for a good paladin build, or at least a step by step guide, where I can feel what is the best that I can do, without being a hassle for my party. And without having to risk too much, given that we even got a half-orc CN that is likely to turn on me one day.

NerdHut
2016-04-29, 10:02 AM
Hey,
I've got to make a new character for a low-level campaign (I will start by being level 6).

Honestly I got bored of mages (while they are low level, I find them to be more an hassle then something to be reckoned on), and we got already a fighter, a druid, and a cleric.

> I even thought to use a bard, but I feel llike being low level I will probably be pretty useless.

So I was undecided between a paladin of the tyranny or something else. Honestly I hate to powerplay, but my DM already killed two of my characters. I don't mind abusing stuff for now, just not if I glitch too badly (like some weird classes , pin pin and stuff of this sort).

Suggestions?
Just because there's a fighter, don't be afraid of melee. Same with the divine casters. Duplicity does not necessarily equal redundancy.

You could take Barbarian, with a Totem Variant from Unearthed Arcana (I recommend Lion or Ape)

There's also some other variants in the same book for casters that can switch things up.

If you're interested in using Charisma to get you out of (or into) anything, I would advise the Changeling Rogue from Races of Eberron. Being able to take ten on all those rolls is amazing.

This, of course, all depends on your DM allowing these books. Still, I hope the suggestions help!:biggrin:

Sword-Geass
2016-04-29, 10:34 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to PUN PUN, or Omnificer, etc.

Oh no, it was water clear, I was just joking because you wrote pin pin, that's why I also wrote kibild (with i, instead of o) and stits.

Also if you go Necropolitan keep in mind that you'll have less hp than a standard paladin, always. But you'll have a butload of immunities. Necro is better if you can't spare the con and have a low hp class. Check with your DM if he'll let you be corpsecrafted, that way you'll gain d12+2 hp per level, being created in a desecrated zone with the altar of an evil god also gives you +2 extra hp per level, but being good it's not likely to be accepted.

Check this thread for more información on Necropolitans: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?147848-(3-5)-The-Corpsecrafted-Spellstitched-Necropolitan

Also, don't try the spellstiching unless your teammates are optimized.

Theobod
2016-04-29, 03:00 PM
Just bear in mind DR only applies to 'Weapon and Natural Weapon attacks' so anything that doesn't rely on either of those is golden.
YMMV but grappling isn't explicitly a weapon or natural weapon but can be used to deal unarmed strike damage without actually using an UAS (ask your DM if they proscribe to that), though imho I wouldn't be especially fond of giving undead horrors a hug.
Alternatively go for nonphysical attacks, dragon shaman has an infinite use breath weapon that is good at all lvl bands and warlocks can shape their blast into forms that aren't Rays and as such are not Weapon attacks. Both have all day goodness and IIRC both have some weapon proficiencies and light armor if you want to feel knightly (mithral breastplate anyone?).

Waazraath
2016-04-29, 03:17 PM
Hey,

Suggestions?

Maybe a whirling frenzy (unearthed arcana) barbarian, with the pounce alternative class feature from Complete Champion? At level 6, you even can get the shock trooper feat tree complete, optional with a few levels fighter. Big HD, big damage, not much else.

Alternative: the Disciple of Thrym (frostburn) is a very nice (and quite strong) prestige class, with an evil paladinesq feel. Entry could be fighter 2 / barbarian 2 / cleric 1 (if I remember well, in any case), which could give you a few good domains / devotion feats, rage (3/day with extra rage), and some bonus feats.

lhilas
2016-04-29, 03:21 PM
Just a heads up - knight of the chalice sucks hard. It was the first prestige class i have ever played and it was back in 6th grade, boy was i unexperienced then. The class' spells and abilities are meh, its requirements are extremely harsh (lvl 7 just to open), and it doesn't give you anything to compensate for it.
Combine that with the poorly excuted 3.5 classic paladin and you will be left with a really weak character.
Did the DM ban all tome of battle classes? Crusader is basically the better version of the paladin.
If he did, look for alternative classes to fulfill your expectation of a chatacter, perhaps a war cleric? An optimised fighter? Or at least a full paladin, still better than abomination of the chalice
XD

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-29, 03:34 PM
If you want survivability at low levels, few things beat a warforged with Adamantine Body. That also fits well with your intent to guard the book: you came out of Storage to keep your never-sleeping eyes on it for eternity.

You can be pretty much any class, though with the wis/cha penalty, paladins suffer a bit. However, warforged make good dragonfire adepts, with the con bonus. If you take Entangling Exhalation with a flaw (or at level 3), you can be a pretty good tank. Fight defensively (if your DM considers your breath weapon an attack, which is not unreasonable), and you'll be sitting on AC 23 at level 1 (+8 armour, +2 shield, +2 dodge, +1 dex), and 25 at level 2 (an additional +2 natural).

The question is: do you want to be a scaled adamantine* fire-breathing robot?

*Adamantine dragons exist, so pick those as your ancestor dragon. They are neutral good.

nedz
2016-04-29, 08:00 PM
You might consider a Bardadin which focusses on the Charisma synergy.
Some builds (there are many others):
Bard 8/ Paladin 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3
Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Unseen Seer 4
Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Unseen Seer 8
Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 3/ Divine Crusader 1 / Comtemplative 1 / Sublime Chord 1 / Fochlucan Lyrist 8
Where Paladin is one of the chaos aligned variants.

These give you good combat options as well as spells later.

Oh no, it was water clear, ...
Clear as day or Crystal clear - languages: idioms.