PDA

View Full Version : What classes are most rewarding at level 20? (In your opinion)

WereRabbitz
2016-04-28, 09:45 AM
Many classes have a bit of lull after level 8 or 12 and tempts us into multiclassing.

I was curious what your opinions are as what classes are the most rewarding at level 20.

- No multiclasses
- opinions only be it based on Mechanical or Roleplaying

Personally i'm a fan of Ancient Paladins.

Nice Variety of spells to aid you in and out of battle
Imp Smite + 4/5th level smites are amazing damage.
Fear/Saves/Spell/ + Spell Auras are a huge boost to you and your group.
The Capstone.. It's nice at level 20 to have something where you can pull out all the stops and go super saiyan to really show the true power of your class even if it's only 10 rounds a day.
With all the Rich story behind Paladins you still have a lot of roleplaying laid out for you and it's easy to run with or against the standard Paladin.

To be fair though it can be a long journey from level 12 to level 20 without much improvement to your arsenal.

Gtdead
2016-04-28, 10:03 AM
Nothing more satisfying than a bladesinger turning into a Pit Fiend and bladesinging ^^
Moon Druid is pretty awesome at 20 too.

I'm a huge fan of Shapechange ^^

Blue Lantern
2016-04-28, 10:26 AM
Wizards,
Clerics,
Druids (Moon),
Rogues,
Barbarians

Gastronomie
2016-04-28, 11:00 AM
Gotta say Ranger here. Foe Slayer is one of the most broken capstone abilities in all table-top history.

Or, you know, being serious, Moon Druids. And in addition to those mentioned above, Fighters.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-28, 11:07 AM
Taking any of the full casters the whole way is very rewarding, but the big payoff is at 17 rather than 20.

It might not be quite as useful as some of the other capstones, but the Cleric's Divine Intervention is very satisfying. Nothing like the literal wrath of god.

dev6500
2016-04-28, 11:07 AM
I'm going to say lore bard. You get both the RP and the combat utility. Its hard to beat that:

By 6th level, grab any 2 3rd level spells: Crusader's mantle is sweet, so are blink, fly, and haste if you want to be the strongest part buffer. I haven't played it at higher than that yet but, the magical secrets and skill superiority keep coming at higher levels and I would think it stays strong.

MaxWilson
2016-04-28, 11:31 AM
Many classes have a bit of lull after level 8 or 12 and tempts us into multiclassing.

I was curious what your opinions are as what classes are the most rewarding at level 20.

Moon Druid and (Shadow) Monk would be my top picks. Unlimited ki? Yes, please. It's not really unlimited but it's enough to have Empty Body up all the time, or you can save it for save re-rolls or Stunning Strike. It's not amazing but it's cool enough that I would be genuinely reluctant to multiclass even an awesome synergy like Rogue 2.

Moon Druid, besides the obvious unlimited-shapechange aspects, also lets you cast Contagion while in Earth Elemental form, then burrow back down under the Earth without taking an opportunity attack (because you took Mobile, and Contagion is a melee attack). Or you can cast Call Lightning in Air Elemental form. I like that, and I also like the idea of being able to turn into a fish or an eagle whenever I feel like it, and not having to hoard wildshape usages. Magic in 5E tends to be short-duration and rather expensive--this isn't the old days when a single Polymorph Self would cover all of your random shape-changing desires all day--so Moon Druid 20 is one of the few ways to be magic all the time at will, and I find that cool.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-28, 11:38 AM
Anyone who has not yet played a level 20 character, it would make sense to not reply.

For example, if our campaign ever gets there, I'll let you know how my 20th lvl Warlock (who is most likely to become a warlock/bard due to background if we get that far) turns out.

Our previous campaign seems to be dead at lvl 7 unless the DM can resurrect it when RL allows him to. (He's an awesome DM so I hope he can).

MrFahrenheit
2016-04-28, 12:18 PM
Wood elf Druid, land or moon: wild shape into a common critter, hide in a tree, then cast spells which don't originate from you.

"You hit the monster with call lightning. He starts murdering sparrows while ignoring your party because that makes sense."

Firechanter
2016-04-30, 02:09 AM
Not there by a long shot, but I've decided to abstain from multiclassing because I'm keen on the capstone of the Vengeance Paladin.
You turn into an Angel, how cool is that?

hymer
2016-04-30, 02:41 AM
I'm going to add my voice to the choir singing druid 20, but let me add my own note:
Archdruid is when the druid no longer needs to use components when casting spells, and you get unlimited wild shapes. I like to think that it means you are now pure spirit. Your body is incidental, only will matters to you any more. Magic is not so much a ritual to call on power, it is the extension of your will. Physical shape has become a state of mind, which you can change at will.

uraniumrooster
2016-04-30, 03:11 AM
The only characters I've played up to 20:

Assassin 13/Fiend-Chainlock 7 (LE VarHuman Charlatan) - He wasn't really optimized for combat, as I hadn't actually intended from the start to take warlock levels. It just so happened in the course of the game that Asmodeus took an interest in my character, and we worked out a pact in which he favored me with some powers and the true name of an imp, and in exchange I sent him a steady supply of mortal souls. It was RP-heavy and I was able to make use of the Assassin's imposter abilities with the disguise self invocation. Technically I guess I wasn't playing any one class to 20, but it was still a 20th level character, and it ended up being quite rewarding.

Illusionist (CG Gnome Sage) - A total stereotype, but so much fun. Once I got Silent Image as a signature spell, along with illusory reality it was just bonkers. Also, the permanent use of Major Image, along with Malleable Illusions... permanent at-will illusion! Plus, all the usual high level wizard tricks. Don't feel like bedding down in a stinky dungeon? Why, step into your Magnificent Mansion! Don't feel like adventuring today? Just send your simulacrum! Costly spell components you say? Not a problem when you can just Wish the spell into being! Seriously... as a high level Wizard you can be the laziest character ever, and still accomplish more in a day than the rest of your party combined.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-30, 03:21 AM

- No multiclasses
- opinions only be it based on Mechanical or Roleplaying

Personally i'm a fan of Ancient Paladins.

Nice Variety of spells to aid you in and out of battle
Imp Smite + 4/5th level smites are amazing damage.
Fear/Saves/Spell/ + Spell Auras are a huge boost to you and your group.
The Capstone.. It's nice at level 20 to have something where you can pull out all the stops and go super saiyan to really show the true power of your class even if it's only 10 rounds a day.
With all the Rich story behind Paladins you still have a lot of roleplaying laid out for you and it's easy to run with or against the standard Paladin.

To be fair though it can be a long journey from level 12 to level 20 without much improvement to your arsenal.
Bard, not really, better dip a level cleric (lore) or fighter (valor, maybe 2 paladin) for a Bard then getting that last feature
Barbarian, not bad, some nice features. But most you get low level as a Barbarian
Cleric, this one is pretty rewarding but not my favourite
Druid, sure, just amazing
Fighter, honestly, getting all the attacks at the end is amazing
Monk, kinda. One level dip, however, is often better
Paladin, not as much as others
Ranger, just no
Rogue, I prefer a dip for rogues
Sorcerer, better take warlock levels, or just one wizard for spells. Not worht it for the last level
Warlock, you should leave Warlock after two levels, but if you go for a high level warlock it isn't too bad to go all the way
Wizard, maybe one level for proficiencies but full Wizards are cool

So:
4. Wizard
3. Paladin
2. Druid
1. Fighter

NewDM
2016-04-30, 05:04 AM
Nothing more satisfying than a bladesinger turning into a Pit Fiend and bladesinging ^^
Moon Druid is pretty awesome at 20 too.

I'm a huge fan of Shapechange ^^

While polymorphed/Wild Shaped you can't use your class features, unless they are specifically called out like the Druid 20 casting spells while wild shaped.

But still turning into a Pit Fiend, then a Death Knight, Then a metallic Dragon. Yeah, I'll take Wizard all the way to 20.

hymer
2016-04-30, 05:09 AM
While polymorphed/Wild Shaped you can't use your class features, unless they are specifically called out like the Druid 20 casting spells while wild shaped.

While wild shaped you can use your class features, as long as the form is physically capable of it. Which is another (weaselly) way of saying, if your DM will let you. But the default position is that you can, not that you can't.

Gtdead
2016-04-30, 05:39 AM

But still turning into a Pit Fiend, then a Death Knight, Then a metallic Dragon. Yeah, I'll take Wizard all the way to 20.

This is what Shapechange spell says.

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so."

DM can screw with you, but by RAW you can.