PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a PC immune to Exhaustion (high levels)

Oramac
2016-04-28, 02:01 PM
I'm specifically looking at levels 17+ here. What effect would there be if a PC had permanent immunity to exhaustion, either through a magic item, class feature, spell, or other means?

RulesJD
2016-04-28, 02:05 PM
I'm specifically looking at levels 17+ here. What effect would there be if a PC had permanent immunity to exhaustion, either through a magic item, class feature, spell, or other means?

Probably not much impact because of how little DMs actually use it.

But it would make a high level Frenzy Barbarian at least moderately more effective.

Oramac
2016-04-28, 03:40 PM
That's kinda what I figured. The Frenzy thing worried me a little, but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

MaxWilson
2016-04-28, 04:10 PM

Well, I can think of one way to do it, sort of: True Polymorph a skeleton into a humanoid, Magic Jar into the humanoid, and then cease concentration on the True Polymorph. Congratulations, you're now a CR 1/4 skeleton with the spells of an archmage and immunity to exhaustion (just like every other skeleton).

(P.S. The much, much more effective ploy is to just True Polymorph a random log or rock into a Couatl and have it cast Greater Restoration on you to dispel the exhaustion. As a bonus: this way you can remove exhaustion on someone else, too, like a Frenzy Barb.)

Zman
2016-04-28, 04:57 PM
Won't affect things much as it is a little used mechanic. Poor Frenzy Barbarians, getting the exhaustion shaft... I houserule Frenzy simply doesn't cause exhaustion, if you feel it is unbalanced, make Frenzy cost a second rage.

MaxWilson
2016-04-28, 05:05 PM
Won't affect things much as it is a little used mechanic.

Depends on your table of course. I have used exhaustion (via food and water requirements) to good effect, and a PC who is immune to exhaustion would have important advantages at the table of any DM who did the same.

RulesJD
2016-04-28, 05:11 PM
Well, I can think of one way to do it, sort of: True Polymorph a skeleton into a humanoid, Magic Jar into the humanoid, and then cease concentration on the True Polymorph. Congratulations, you're now a CR 1/4 skeleton with the spells of an archmage and immunity to exhaustion (just like every other skeleton).

(P.S. The much, much more effective ploy is to just True Polymorph a random log or rock into a Couatl and have it cast Greater Restoration on you to dispel the exhaustion. As a bonus: this way you can remove exhaustion on someone else, too, like a Frenzy Barb.)

Much, much, much more effective:

Make a Simulacrum of your level 17+ Cleric buddy. Greater Resto for days.

Wish -> Greater Resto (20+ creatures + everyone always forgets you can do spells outside the Wizard's list).

Kane0
2016-04-28, 05:23 PM
Exhaustion isn't really a mechanic used that often. Unless you have a DM that makes an active attempt to incorporate it into the game (Like mine, his favourite trick is to pair it with necrotic attacks on some of his nastier monsters with a Con save to avoid) it won't really come up much. You could forced march indefinitely though, which is cool.

Specter
2016-04-28, 05:24 PM
'Other means' idea: Boon of Relentlessness (as those in the DMG).

Such PC would never need to sleep, eat and drink, and also Frenzy wouldn't affect him. Some other spells and monsters could also be nullified, but nothing comes to mind now.

Zman
2016-04-28, 05:28 PM
Exhaustion isn't really a mechanic used that often. Unless you have a DM that makes an active attempt to incorporate it into the game (Like mine, his favourite trick is to pair it with necrotic attacks on some of his nastier monsters with a Con save to avoid) it won't really come up much. You could forced march indefinitely though, which is cool.

I use the houserule that anytime a character is dropped to 0 HP and regains HP the suffer a level of exhaustion, really helps when they keep getting knocked down and the bard keeps yelling at them to get up, haha. And when they get multiple levels it leaves a lasting impression that keeps it as a reminder.

MaxWilson
2016-04-28, 05:59 PM
Much, much, much more effective:

Make a Simulacrum of your level 17+ Cleric buddy. Greater Resto for days.

Wish -> Greater Resto (20+ creatures + everyone always forgets you can do spells outside the Wizard's list).

But, the opportunity cost is huge. Now you've using your simulacrum "slot" for Greater Restoration, and you have to pay in cash for every Greater Restoration. With True Polymorph on the other hand, you can have an arbitrary number of Couatls permanently, each of whom can cast Greater Restoration for free once a day, in addition to all the other useful stuff they do.

Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 97 (13d8 + 39)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.

*snip*

Damage Immunities psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.

*snip*

Innate Spellcasting: The couatl’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
At will: detect evil and good, detect magic, detect thoughts
3/day each: bless, create food and water, cure wounds, lesser restoration, protection from poison, sanctuary, shield
1/day each: dream, greater restoration, scrying

*snip*

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 24 hours. Until this poison ends, the target is unconscious. Another creature can use an action to shake the target awake.
Constrict: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one Medium or smaller creature. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 15). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the couatl can’t constrict another target.
Change Shape: The couatl magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the couatl’s choice). In a new form, the couatl retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and other actions are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks. If the new form has a bite attack, the couatl can use its bite in that form.

So, you can have a telepathic lawful good Couatl who is immune to normal weapons, has truesight, flies, has some pretty decent party-support melee attacks, can turn into a rhinoceros or elephant or chipmunk or toad at will, and and has a bunch of useful spells. Or if you need to, you can have arbitrarily many of them, for no cost except a day of your time per Couatl.

Admittedly you do need to persuade the Couatls to help you, but at least they are lawful good and probably inclined to lend a hand to heroes, especially the heroes who created them and with whom they presumably share certain values. You are playing a hero, aren't you? ;-)

Kane0
2016-04-28, 07:03 PM
I use the houserule that anytime a character is dropped to 0 HP and regains HP the suffer a level of exhaustion, really helps when they keep getting knocked down and the bard keeps yelling at them to get up, haha. And when they get multiple levels it leaves a lasting impression that keeps it as a reminder.

Yeah we do that too. Works well.