PDA

View Full Version : Player Help D&D 3.5 Rogue/Shadowdancer - Way to make shadows?

HatsofDragons
2016-04-28, 02:03 PM
Greetings everyone!

So the campaign that I am entering into soon involves a lot of combat and I'm fulfilling a ranged sneak attack character.

What I'm interested to see if anyone has come up with an idea of creating their own shadows with a magic item of some kind!

Books available:
SRD
Complete Champion
Unearthed Arcana

Thank you for your time and I eagerly await your ideas.

SorenKnight
2016-04-28, 02:06 PM
A custom item of continuous darkness is 18,000gp and will create a 20 ft radius of darkness around you.

Telonius
2016-04-28, 02:28 PM
Take a plank of wood, attach a torch (everburning or otherwise) to one end, and some other object to the other. Set it down. The object blocks out some of the light produced by the torch. Congratulations, instant shadow! And because you've set it down, it's not "your own" shadow.

Inevitability
2016-04-28, 03:04 PM
You get one at 3rd-level. I'm not even kidding: as long as your DM rules 'some shadow' to include a creature made of pure animate shadow, you're good to go.

Troacctid
2016-04-28, 06:52 PM
Just drop a torch or other light source on the ground and it'll cast a shadow.

A custom item of continuous darkness is 18,000gp and will create a 20 ft radius of darkness around you.
A Dark Lantern (from Tome of Magic) does it for only 2000 gp. Sadly not in the allowed sources though.

Crake
2016-04-28, 10:19 PM
Honestly, short of being along out in a featureless field, or within some kind of area of homogenous light (as might be created by an overcast day for example) you're practically always going to have some kind of a shadow around the place. Technically even a rock on the ground or a blade of grass in a field will cast a shadow unless the light is directly overhead. As silly as it is, carrying a light source will also guarentee that any enemies within 10ft will always cast a shadow as well.

SorenKnight
2016-04-29, 06:53 AM
I knew people would quickly and easily come up with something better than my idea, but this?

You get one at 3rd-level. I'm not even kidding: as long as your DM rules 'some shadow' to include a creature made of pure animate shadow, you're good to go.

I can't believe I never thought of this before.