PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue class combinations - keeping fit in Pathfinder...

Spore
2016-04-28, 04:39 PM
So my group has recently switched off any and all Pathfinder and D&D product gaming. I simply cannot take my eyes off of this system and for this exercise I would like to cover the rogue's weaknesses in some areas, for both melee rogues AND skill monkeys.

Focussing on traps should not be a main point in this thread but it is considered an important part of skill monkeying.

A friend of mine made a quite successful Paladin 2/Bandit 7 focussing on what is basically "backstab pounce". She was a pretty good face, had great saves was effective at striking vital targets and the class combination made the character greater than its parts isolated.

I theorycrafted a Fighter 4/Rogue 5 for the revamp of my first Pathfinder character ever (a luckless, skillless sad bunch, basically the failure rogue most RPGs have a spoof npc for).

The rogue was the following beforehand:

Rogue 8: Along the lines of 10/20/16/12/8/10, TWFing, Weapon Finesse into double shortswords we regularly met enemies where I could either not overcome the DR or survive the flanking position due to the DM focussing the rogue rather than the slower Paladin (20ft vs. 30ft speed).

changing it into a more streamlined Weapon Master Fighter 4/Burglar Rogue 5, going to focus heavily on the shortswords. The build never came to fruition as we aborted that campaign as well.

What cool ideas have you been coming up with? I have an idea for Fighter/Rogue into Shadowdancer although this simply is quite the tax on sneak attack dice to the point of rogue levels being superfluous. Ranger/Rogue is quite obsolete with the "new" Slayer class.

Another idea I've never done was the optimization of sneak attack dice to the point of "oneshotting" someone. Sap Adept and Sap Master deals quite much damage incapacitating enemies (and leaving them alive to be questioned with your social skills).

Another idea was the Thug focussing on Intimidate, a few Barbarian levels and generally a mix between a beatstick and a ... well more fine beatstick.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 09:22 PM
I'm not too clear on the ask here. Did you just want us to come up with roguish concepts (regardless of class), rogue builds specifically, or rogue builds that need at least one other class? Or some combination of the preceding?

avr
2016-04-28, 09:40 PM
It sounds like builds focused on the rogue class? Which is a mistake IMO; it's better to focus on how to get to a particular destination rather than to look at a particular road and figure out where you could travel on it.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 10:00 PM
It sounds like builds focused on the rogue class? Which is a mistake IMO; it's better to focus on how to get to a particular destination rather than to look at a particular road and figure out where you could travel on it.

There's some challenge inherent in "what can I build with this" (http://myfridgefood.com/) though. It can be a fun thought exercise if nothing else. I was more unclear on the parameters.

For the rogue specifically though, most of that challenge I feel is gone, because Unchained Rogue got it to T3 with little fanfare.

Geddy2112
2016-04-28, 10:25 PM
For the rogue specifically though, most of that challenge I feel is gone, because Unchained Rogue got it to T3 with little fanfare.

I have found myself dipping urogue on a lot of builds these days. 3 levels gets me weapon finesse, a rogue talent, evasion, dex to damage, virtually every class skill and enough skill ranks to fill a swimming pool. I can dump trapfinding and danger sense for plenty of cool tricks. A 4th level nets debilitating strike. Even a single dip gets finesse, skills, and trapfinding or some better replacement.

I love the rogue/pally, as you get a viable TWF pally in light armor and some skill ranks to throw around. A dip in kitsune trickster adds a lot of fun to any int based class and makes for things like face wizards.

Spore
2016-04-29, 01:04 PM
Great I forgot to mention it should be a multiclass with a lower tier class - generally mundane ones - that should provide something in the low T3s as a result.