PDA

View Full Version : Six Arrows a Round from a Longbow?

Palanan
2016-04-28, 04:50 PM
Without cheese or shenanigans, what's the most economical way to reach six arrows per round from a longbow?

I'm open to any relevant feats from official 3.5 or Pathfinder sources. Assume an ordinary, nonmagical longbow, wielded by a purely martial character and with no outside assistance from spellcasters or magic items. Under these conditions, how early can you achieve a rate of fire of six arrows per round?

Darrin
2016-04-28, 04:59 PM
Barbarian 16, Rapid Shot, Whirling Frenzy ACF.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 05:02 PM
A Bow Nomad (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/bow-nomad-kasatha-ranger-archetype) Kasatha in Pathfinder can do this at level 6:

Manyshot (2 arrows) + Rapid shot (1) + Haste/Speed (1) + second iterative + offhand bow = 6 arrows. Throw in Improved Two Weapon Fighting and they go up to 7.

EDIT: You said no magic, so remove the Haste/Speed above to get it back down to 6 at level 6. (Note however that in PF, even "purely martial" characters can make their own magic weapons thanks to Master Craftsman.)

Palanan
2016-04-28, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
A Bow Nomad Kasatha in Pathfinder can do this at level 6:

*forehead smack*

I should've known to specify the wielder will be human, or at least two-armed humanoid.

:smalltongue:

Ramza00
2016-04-28, 05:50 PM
The Targeter Variant of Fighter (a bow expert) in Dragon 311 has an Arrow Swarm ability (costs a bonus feat) that is an improved version of rapid shot (gives 2 arrows instead of 1)

Also has some other abilities you can exchange for bonus feats including a dex to damage (instead of Str) as long as the target is within 30 feet

Palanan
2016-04-28, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ramza00
The Targeter Variant of Fighter (a bow expert) in Dragon 311 has an Arrow Swarm ability (costs a bonus feat) that is an improved version of rapid shot (gives 2 arrows instead of 1)….

Dragon 310, actually. I'd forgotten the Targetteer, thanks for the reminder. Great little variant.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 07:52 PM
*forehead smack*

I should've known to specify the wielder will be human, or at least two-armed humanoid.

:smalltongue:

Zen Archer Monk 11 (Speed Bow gets you down to 8.)

nedz
2016-04-28, 08:08 PM
Ranger 11, with 16 Wis, can get 11 via Arrow Storm [SpC]

Ranger 6 can get 3 via iteratives and Rapid Shot. A Crusader 6 or Warblade 6 can double this via White Raven Tactics.