PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Tweaks Part 3 – Strength, Armor, and Fighting Styles

mer.c
2016-04-28, 06:17 PM
Hello again, Playgrounders! I'm back for another round of tweak-critiques! This time, I'm looking at Strength, Armor, and Fighting Styles. As always, I'm not dead-set on anything here – just passing it by the community for comments, suggestions, and other feedback.

Strength (and Armor Encumbrance)

Problem: The problem with Strength isn't that it's not good. IMO (and as far as I know, in the opinions of my players), Strength works fine for Strength-based characters. You can get best-in-class AC without spending feats, and you can throw down with the best of them. I'm OK with Dexterity giving more to Dex-based builds than Strength gives to Str-based builds, so long as those styles are on reasonably even footing in a general sense.

Rather, the problem I have with Strength is that dumping Strength has almost no effect on so many characters. For most purposes, an 8-strength character is functionally equivalent to a 10, or 12, or 14-Strength character as long as they're in the large demographic whose abilities don't key off Strength.

What I'm working on right now is a few mechanical tweaks to penalize dumping strength, or incentivize boosting it. Here's what I have at the moment:

Intimidate
Characters can choose to apply their Strength modifier OR their Charisma modifier to Intimidate checks.

Armor
Instead of reducing speed by 10’ if wearing armor without meeting the Str requirement, a character moves 5’ slower per point under the Str requirement. (So 15’ slower if wearing Plate armor with Str 12, 5’ slower if Str 14.)

Some medium armors now have a Strength requirement. Small races have all armor strength requirements reduced by 3. Dwarves still ignore these requirements.

Scale mail: 10
Breastplate: 11
Half plate: 12
Ring mail: 10
Chain mail: 13
Splint: 15
Plate: 15

Reasoning: I'd like Strength-based builds to have a little extra versatility outside combat, and I think the chance of Intimidate backfiring on you keeps this from being too good.

The real meat of the tweak comes from introducing a balancing point around armor. First, I've never liked the "Str < Requirement = 10' penalty." I houseruled that immediately to be 5' per point of Strength under the requirement (with Dwarves still ignoring the penalty entirely).

That opens the door to a more gradual set of strength requirements than [none] – [13] – [15]. Anyone can use up to Chain Shirt, even those who dump Strength. To get the really juicy Medium armors without penalty, you need to get a little above average – unless you're Small, in which case 9 will do just fine. Chain, Splint, and Plate remain the same, except again for Small races.

Overall, I'd hope that this forces a little more meaningful decision-making regarding Strength for some non-Strength classes. I'd like that Cleric to have to decide between Scale Mail and 10 strength vs. taking it up to 12 for a Half Plate without penalty, much in the same way a GWF Battlemaster needs to consider if they're willing to dump Dexterity and eat the hit to initiative and AC.

Of course, the numbers are totally untuned. I'd be happy to hear what people think about the idea as a whole and also about tuning the numbers themselves.

Fighting Styles and Associated Feats

Problem: Balance between fighting styles isn't great. So my aim here is to level things off and make all the choices compelling, without breaking anything.

Great Weapon Fighting Style
When you deal damage with a heavy melee weapon wielded in both hands, you can reroll any weapon damage die. This includes extra dice from critical hits (including Brutal Critical), but not rider effects such as Divine Smite.

Reasoning: I'm not a fan of the rider-boosting element of this ability, and rule against it. That brings the power down. But allowing it to affect any die, not just 1s and 2s, should help offset it in a more balanced way. It's a pretty small boost for the 2d6 weapons (8.33 to 8.5 baseline damage per hit), but it brings Greataxes up from 7.33 to 8, putting it just .5 behind the 2d6 weapons instead of a full 1. That also means the power boost of GWF is a little closer to that provided by Duelist, without bringing Duelist down. (And of course it scales better with crits.)

If it proves too powerful in conjunction with Great Weapon Mastery or Polearm Mastery, I think those feats should be knocked down a little rather than nerfing the style itself. Just spitballing, there's the popular 1-per-turn restriction on GWM, and PAM could lose its Strength modifier to the 1d4.

Protection Fighting Style
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction roll an additional d20. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll. You may use this ability after the attack roll is made but before you know its outcome. You must be wielding a shield.

Reasoning: As outlined in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482626-Thoughts-on-Protection-Style), Protection style has a number of mechanical issues. This really elegantly solves pretty much all of them, without overpowering the style or complicating it (thank you MaxWilson!). The fact that it uses the same mechanic as we see in other places like Lucky really makes it feel like an organic part of the game rather than a band-aid.

Sharpshooter
…ignore half cover and treat three-quarters cover as half cover.

Reasoning: I don't know if Sharpshooter's +10/-5 is a critical balance issue, but I do understand that archery is extraordinarily powerful. Giving it a nudge back seems fine to me, especially since I don't really like mechanics that completely negate inflection points (in this case, entirely ignoring the cover mechanic).

If the feat does turn out to cause balance problems, there's always the 1-per-turn restriction.

Magic Ranged Weapons and Ammunition
Magic ranged weapons give an attack-roll bonus only. Magic ammunition gives a damage bonus only.

Reasoning: Along with being really, really good to begin with, ranged weapons double-dip on enchantments. DM restrictions on loot can get around the balance problems this presents, but I'd rather find a rules way of reconciling them. This change ends up nerfing magical ranged weapons a little bit compared to other weapons because instead of unlimited strikes of extra to-hit and extra damage, you get unlimited strikes of extra to-hit and finite strikes of extra damage. But you still have Sharpshooter to make up the difference in damage, and the DM can always tweak magic arrow recovery rules or make them a little easier to come by.

New Feat: Thrown Weapon Expert

Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half cover and treat three-quarters cover as half cover.
You can draw weapons with the thrown property as a free action. As a bonus action you may draw and throw a light thrown weapon so long as you have at least one free hand.

Reasoning: Because I like thrown weapons, and I want my players to be able to focus on them! Shamelessly ripped from someone-I-don't-remember-who, but thank you! Giving the once-per-turn offhand throw is pretty cool, and seems in line given the lower damage rolls of thrown weapons and the fact that it wouldn't get an ability score bonus.

New Feat: Dual-Wield Master
Prerequisite: Two-Weapon Fighting style, Dual Wielder, Multiattack
Once per turn, when you make a melee attack with a weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can make an attack against the same target with a different melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.

Reasoning: Dual-wielding as a mechanic seems OK to me, but it doesn't have the same feat support as other styles (especially the GWM/PAM/possibly Sentinel combination). I don't think dual-wielding needs to be changed so much as given a capstone, letting players close the gap by investing a feat. This is an attempt to do that, while also letting players make use of their offhand weapon on turns where they need their bonus action for something else. This also means that the TWF vs. GWF balance doesn't get upset when Opportunity Attacks get factored into the equation.

Also note that this does a lot to help out TWF Beast Masters. In the core rules, they can't make use of their offhand on turns that they split their attack with their beast. (They use their action to command their beast, and they can also make an attack; they don't take the attack action.) With this feat, they'd be able to attack with both weapons alongside their beast, letting the mechanics function together better.

If this looks too strong, the free attack could be changed not to include damage from the ability score modifier, or the free attack could only trigger on a hit. The latter is probably a lot less rule-jiggery (the former overrules part of TWF). It's also a bigger limiter, but since you need Multiattack anyways, you've got pretty decent odds of getting to make the free attack.

Finally, as far as I can tell, the prerequisites should keep abuse to a minimum. Rogues don't get another sneak attack chance unless they multiclass to martial 5 for TWF and multiattack, at which point I'm fine with the extra shot at it. Paladins need a multiclass to get an additional smite chance, and dual-wielding Paladins don't compare well to PAM for just plain nova from what I understand. But if the addition may break things, I'm open as always to suggestions for correcting it.

———————————————

That's all for now! Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your feedback! :smallsmile:

Changelog

Removed (very low) Strength requirements for light armor
Added rule on magic ranged weapons and ammunition

Previous Critique my Tweaks

Part 1: Avatar Monk and Beast Master Ranger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481195-Critique-my-Tweaks-Part-1-%96-Avatar-Monk-and-Beast-Master-Hunter)
Part 2: Moon Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482486-Critique-my-Tweaks-Part-2-%96-Moon-Druid)

Zman
2016-04-29, 08:17 AM
Intimidate: No issue, used to do this all the time for 3.P.

Armor Strength Reqs: Not a fan, feel it is getting unnecessarily complicated. I would not put any Str req on Light a Armors at all. Maybe for medium armors. I feel the stock game is ok in this department and doesn't need to changed, though swapping -10' for -5' per Str is fair.

GWF: I like this and will probably steal it. It does what I was lookin for in simpler terms. I was picking the numbers reroll able per die size, this is slightly better and a whole lot simpler.

Protection: Don't know if I'm sold on this yet.... What about imposing Disadvantage against the first attack against an adjacent ally as a bonus action?

Sharpshooter: I support the cover change. Also, I like limiting the -5/+10 to a single attack per turn.

The on Weapon Expert: I like it... Looks familiar haha.

Dual Wield Master: Definitley remove the TWF requirement, don't require a Fighter ability. Also, I feel just allowing any character that dual wields and has extra attack an additional attack at 11th level with their off hand is better.

mgshamster
2016-04-29, 08:30 AM
Dual Wield Master: Definitley remove the TWF requirement, don't require a Fighter ability. Also, I feel just allowing any character that dual wields and has extra attack an additional attack at 11th level with their off hand is better.

It does. I've run the numbers before and giving them that extra attack at 11th level balances them out rather nicely with GWM.

Same thing is also true with giving the Duelist Fighting Style an extra +2 at level 11; although it may be better to roll that into a feat somehow to make it on par with DW and GWM. Conversely, the duelist can use a shield, and the AC boost kind of compensates for the lower damage. So maybe have the extra +2 be if you're not holding a shield or another weapon. Just spitballing ideas here.

Rysto
2016-04-29, 08:32 AM
Finally, as far as I can tell, the prerequisites should keep abuse to a minimum. Rogues don't get another sneak attack chance unless they multiclass to martial 5 for TWF and multiattack, at which point I'm fine with the extra shot at it. Paladins need a multiclass to get an additional smite chance, and dual-wielding Paladins don't compare well to PAM for just plain nova from what I understand. But if the addition may break things, I'm open as always to suggestions for correcting it.

I think it's probably too strong on a Paladin due to Improved Divine Smite. Each hit by a Level 11 Paladin with TWF and DW is 14 damage (4.5 weapon + 5 mod + 4.5 improved divine smite). Giving them a fourth attack boosts their sustained damage output by 33%. It only takes a 1 level Fighter dip to get that, although the ASI investment to get the 2 feats plus max STR/DEX is significant.

KeithWillia
2016-04-29, 08:34 AM
Working on the many tweaks, ideas and fixes after a CW2012 critique session on my novel draft

mer.c
2016-05-04, 08:30 AM
First off, thank you all very much for the feedback! I've already made some modifications based on the suggestions you've posted. :)

Armor Strength Reqs: Not a fan, feel it is getting unnecessarily complicated. I would not put any Str req on Light a Armors at all. Maybe for medium armors. I feel the stock game is ok in this department and doesn't need to changed, though swapping -10' for -5' per Str is fair.

I've come to agree on the Light Armors bit, but I may squish the Medium Armors progression for simplicity and try that. I'll keep looking for another small way or two to introduce mechanical differences between low- and medium-Strength characters.

The on Weapon Expert: I like it... Looks familiar haha.

Ah, that was yours! Thank you (directly, this time)! That's a great addition. After the recent Darts thread, I'm also going to add that any character can draw up to 3 Darts or 3 Throwing Knives as one action (one between each finger on their drawing hand) and using the attack action to throw them gives them as many attacks as they have for that round with them. Any more than that (or to use, say Javelins or Hand Axes) would require the feat.

GWF: I like this and will probably steal it. It does what I was lookin for in simpler terms. I was picking the numbers reroll able per die size, this is slightly better and a whole lot simpler.

By all means! (I stole one of yours, after all!) I'm all for simply-worded solutions with minimal rules-ing, and I think just making it a blanket statement makes it a lot more balanced while also being just a simple as the base rule.

Protection: Don't know if I'm sold on this yet.... What about imposing Disadvantage against the first attack against an adjacent ally as a bonus action?

That's not a bad idea, although it does butt in against Shield Master. It's probably mechanically sound since it stops the Sentinel/Protection anti-synergy. But I'm a bigger fan of the smaller change (just changing how the reroll works), and just from a flavor perspective I like it as a Reaction. I'll definitely think about it though.

Sharpshooter: I support the cover change. Also, I like limiting the -5/+10 to a single attack per turn.

The -5/+10 limiter is definitely on the table if the group finds the style too powerful. I'm also considering changing how magical bows and arrows work, which would curb the effects of super-Sharpshooters. (Actually, I should add that to the OP. [Done!])

I think the only way of getting Extra Attack without access to TWF is to go Paladin or Barbarian. I'm OK with Paladins needing a higher opportunity cost because of the power of getting a fourth attack to Smite off of. In fact, I'm afraid a Paladin with a Fighter-1 dip to get TWF and then DWM could be oppressive, and I'd have to think about how to handle that.

Barbarians AFAIK (and I could be wrong on this) don't really mesh well with dual-wielding to begin with. The only other thing I can think of is maybe dual-wielding Bladelocks? Is that a thing that happens?

All that said, I'm partial to the feat instead of just giving an Extra Attackers an extra offhand attack at level 11. Basically, I'm not convinced that dual-wielding is weak compared to heavy weapons. From my understanding, the imbalance comes up because of heavy weapons' greater feat support and feature synergy. So what I'd rather do is introduce more feat support for dual-wielding, and make that support help alleviate some of their associated builds' anti-synergy. Hopefully, that will bring them onto more even footing in terms of effectiveness and investment. (This is all predicated on my understanding that it's really GWM + PAM + maybe Sentinel that starts to throw things off. If you disagree, I'm all ears!)

The other reason I went with this change as a starting point was because builds with heavy competition for bonus actions, or builds that are mechanically pushed away from making the Attack action (Eldritch Knights with War Magic, anyone who dips or takes Magic Initiate for SCAG cantrips, Beast Masters with their shared attack keying off commanding their pet*) may as well be holding a pillow in their offhand most of the time. The way the feat is worded, you can still make use of your offhand weapon even if you have bonus-action competition or if your build relies on making attacks that don't actually use the Attack action.

*Note that if one houserules commanding the pet to be a bonus action, Beast Masters get even less use out of dual-wielding than they do at present. I'm not using that houserule (see my Beast Master tweaks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481195-Critique-my-Tweaks-Part-1-%96-Avatar-Monk-and-Beast-Master-Hunter) for what I use instead), but doing so actually exacerbates the problem.

I think it's probably too strong on a Paladin due to Improved Divine Smite. Each hit by a Level 11 Paladin with TWF and DW is 14 damage (4.5 weapon + 5 mod + 4.5 improved divine smite). Giving them a fourth attack boosts their sustained damage output by 33%. It only takes a 1 level Fighter dip to get that, although the ASI investment to get the 2 feats plus max STR/DEX is significant.

I hadn't actually considered the extra damage off IDS; I was just thinking of nova potential off of Divine Smite. I don't think that the extra 1d8 is going to break anything too badly, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. Also, Paladins have some of the best class features in the game and are somewhat MAD; going Fighter-1 and dropping two feats (Dual Wielder to meet the prerequisite, then Dual-Wield Master) is a really big sacrifice to get an extra shot at 1d8.

If the ability to tack on yet another Divine Smite proves too powerful for Paladins, I may look at limiting Divine Smite per turn. (At least 2, so as not to hit traditional Sword and Board or Great Weapon Paladins.) That way, they can still Smite on Attacks of Opportunity, and extra attacks will still give them more chances to use Divine Smite because of more chances to hit. They just can't use the new feat to do a fourth Smite on their turn unless they save their DWM attack for an Opportunity Attack, which could really bite them if they don't get the chance to make that attack.

———————————————

Again, thanks for the feedback, Playgrounders! :smallsmile: