PDA

View Full Version : DM looking for weapon ideas for new 3.5 setting

Nosta
2016-04-28, 06:25 PM
so I want to incorporate a few swords from mythology and make them fairy powerful items that will be part of the story

so far I want help with ideas for the sword of the legendary warrior Roland Named Durandal

Assuming that this game with be about tier 2 in power

what ability would be good to give this weapon. It should be A major artifact in terms of what is

I am not sure if it should be a long or great sword but I plan to have it be in possession of a level 15 crusader who is a direct family member of roland

i'd like ideas for spells or other abilities the sword should have. it should be far more powerful than any Normal sword that money could buy even from a top tier black smith

Trixie
2016-04-28, 06:49 PM
Look up Fate/Stay Night wiki. The setting is full of legendary heroes, and all of their weapons and abilities are lovingly explained, catalogued, and graded. Just borrow liberally from Lancer/Saber/Archer* class weapons and you're good to go.

*Yes, Archer, because for some reason all they ever use is swords. Go figure :P

Bahamut7
2016-04-28, 06:58 PM
What Mythologies are you considering? In my campaign I ran a ways back I incorporated nods to some of my favorite anime through legendary weapons that the group could use or give back to the NPC of choice for XP and something else. For example, I used the Sword of Dios from Revolutionary Girl Utena (show full of sword duels). Gave it some cool charging abilities (thematic to how the titular character used the sword).

If you are just sticking with literature or older mythologies (greek, roman, Norse, etc.), then there are plenty of sources online. As for what abilities your versions of the weapons should have, make it thematic and make the weapon reflect the type it should be. Even if no one in your party is proficient with that type, make it worth using with any penalities.

Gildedragon
2016-04-29, 12:02 PM
so I want to incorporate a few swords from mythology and make them fairy powerful items that will be part of the story

so far I want help with ideas for the sword of the legendary warrior Roland Named Durandal

Assuming that this game with be about tier 2 in power

what ability would be good to give this weapon. It should be A major artifact in terms of what is

I am not sure if it should be a long or great sword but I plan to have it be in possession of a level 15 crusader who is a direct family member of roland

i'd like ideas for spells or other abilities the sword should have. it should be far more powerful than any Normal sword that money could buy even from a top tier black smith
Go thematic. What is the character concept. What do you want them to do?
Making them out of a special material can do a lot (Oerthblood is pretty amazing and can be added to almost any weapon)
Give them templates (from Ornate (Dr 358) to feycraft)
And check out the weapons of legacy book and handbook

Edit: quick idea
Mundane Version: Durandal gleams on the mantlepiece, a work of supreme craftsmanship, visibly thin, nimble, and deadly. Its blade ripples with a jade-green damast that brings out the unparalleled sheen of the steel itself. The hilt and guard are intricately carved; beautiful and intimidating in their functionallity.

Razor-Sharp Oerthblood-infused Folded-Metal Greensteel-Pure-Ore Fullered Ornate Courtblade of Legend
Cost: 10,350gp
Stats: +6 (5 enhancement 1 luck) to attack, 1d10+3 (1 enhancement 1 luck) damage, hardness 36, hp 20, creatures struck with it have a -1 (stacking) penalty to saves v magic for a round, +2 to Intimidate, 5lb

Edit Edit: Woops wasn't aware of Charlemagne; baatorian greensteel probably not the best choice. Aurorum it is

Durandal gleams on the mantlepiece, a work of supreme craftsmanship, visibly thin, nimble, and deadly. Its blade ripples with an amethyst damast that evokes the fluttering of wings, a panoply of feathers of indigo, violet, and gleaming steel. The hilt is of exquisitely gilded and decorated steel holding within it the relics with which it was forged.

Sanctified* Soulforged Razor-Sharp Oerthblood-infused Folded-Metal Aurorum-Pure-Ore Fullered Ornate Courtblade of Legend
Cost: 22,490gp
Stats: +6 (5 enhancement 1 luck) to attack, 1d10+2 (1 luck) damage, hardness 34, hp 30, creatures struck with it have a -1 (stacking) penalty to saves v magic for a round, +2 to Intimidate, 5lb, can be used as a holy symbol, +2 damage v charging

Holy Symbol Hilt (2640gp, already included):
Flametouched Greater True Fingerbone Reliquary:
Empower Turning feat, +1 use of Turn Undead, +2 to turning checks, +1 to level when turning undead, +1 resistance to saving throws
*i'm aware it is only armor, but it works for a special item

Telonius
2016-04-29, 12:45 PM
Roland was Charlemagne's paladin, and Durandal is supposed to be extraordinarily sharp and semi-indestructible. So Keen Adamantine Holy Avenger should be a good starting point. In the myth, it has some embedded relics. (Usable by appropriately-aligned Crusaders as well). BoED has a Saint's Fingerbone as granting a +1 to all saves; sounds good. If you're going to make it a set with Oliphaunt (his horn) then maybe make it grant some DR or Fortification as the set bonus.

EDIT: Roland was supposed to have single-handedly held off an army of thousands while wielding Durandal. So, maybe have it grant the "Never Outnumbered" skill trick 1/day, Intimidate result = 40 or the character's roll, whichever is larger.

Nosta
2016-04-29, 06:30 PM
Roland was Charlemagne's paladin, and Durandal is supposed to be extraordinarily sharp and semi-indestructible. So Keen Adamantine Holy Avenger should be a good starting point. In the myth, it has some embedded relics. (Usable by appropriately-aligned Crusaders as well). BoED has a Saint's Fingerbone as granting a +1 to all saves; sounds good. If you're going to make it a set with Oliphaunt (his horn) then maybe make it grant some DR or Fortification as the set bonus.

EDIT: Roland was supposed to have single-handedly held off an army of thousands while wielding Durandal. So, maybe have it grant the "Never Outnumbered" skill trick 1/day, Intimidate result = 40 or the character's roll, whichever is larger.

I really like the never out numbered idea. keeping in an anime style would allowing the user to make range touch attacks so many times a day with damage minus the users str mod be decent or is that to much.

Gildedragon
2016-04-29, 09:37 PM
Something that could be done is to make the sword intelligent and have levels in Paladin.
Paladin 6; all of its feats are Extra Smite,
Trade divine health for Pelor's Blessing; swap Turn Undead for Mystic Fire Knight levels 4-5
Mount for Stand Fast or Charging Smite. Sword is very... Just and upright; it will not use its abilities if wielded by someone of a different faith or alignment.

If you do do this, i'd recommend making the blade a spontaneous caster; with a fixed list of spells known. probably only 2 or 3 spells. little compared to the powers it'd have from being an intelligent item

Definitely is a Holy blade; probably Merciful too