PDA

View Full Version : Weird games

Ramos
2007-06-24, 12:42 PM
OK, I've been DMing unconventional DnD games for some seven years now and I've seen parties and campaigns way beyond what most ppl consider standard DnD. I'd like to see if anyone here shares my liking for unconventional DnD games.

So, what's the most unusual campaign you've ever played in or DMed? What's the most unusual group you've ever seen?

Tallis
2007-06-24, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately all the games I've been in have been faitly standard D&D. Probably the strangest character I've seen was a gnomish necromancy named Boo whose familiar was a hand puppet named Boo. He also always referred to himself in the 3rd person, which made things really confusing. This was pre-Banjo from OotS in case you're wondering.
I would love to try a wierd west type campaign. D&D monsters and magic in the american wild west. But haven't found anyone interested in playing it.

Roland St. Jude
2007-06-24, 01:19 PM
I've played in a lot of "wierd" games over the years. The wierdest D&D campaign that comes to mind was an AD&D 1E game that involved an Expedition to Barrier Peaks and the replacement of a few fallen characters with Teenage Mutant Vegepygmies. I believe that campaign ended up in space thanks to Spelljammer, too.

I really try to seek out games that are either very traditional or very wierd (undersea, evil, conquest-driven, diety PCs, outerspace, time-travel, etc.)

Fax Celestis
2007-06-24, 01:33 PM
I was in a game where a half-fire elemental half-demon llama sorceror PC was the most normal character. I don't think I could probably explain some of the others without violating forum rules.

Sonofaspectre
2007-06-24, 02:19 PM
My current game that I run certainly has become the weirdest thing I've seen. Our party now consists of:
- A Half-Elf, Half-Troll, Half-Vampire, Dragon Disciple of Bahamut (who is dead and hasn't existed in the world for 80 some-odd years)
- A Living Platinum Golem Warblade who drew the +50,000 exp card from the Deck of Many Things twice in a row ...
- A Goblin Spellthief/Ninja/Shadowdancer with a base Escape Artist check of 32 ...:smalleek:
- A Elf Fire Wu Jen ... well, he used to be the weirdest, on account of him being totally crazy and killing two party members last night (don't worry, their ok now) but looking back, he's kinda tame now ...
- A human rogue ... which is weird in context since he is so damn normal it just makes him stand out even more.

Not to mention they are hunting down Tiamut's halfbreed children she had made to keep herself alive after a devastating magical plague killed Bahamut. They just met the Red Dragon Xill and will see the Rainbow Dragon Coautyl next session ... :smallbiggrin:

Mad Wizard
2007-06-24, 05:42 PM
Oddest character I've seen was an awakened rat cleric of Pelor. Who took leadership. And made all his followers be other awakened rats. As soon as he could, he betrayed the party, getting one of us killed before the DM had him lose all his spells from doing evil things. He then had a bunch of his rat followers burrow from an underground rat city (that the DM let him have already built) to the dungeon, dispell the forcecage we had him in, and run off. That campaign didn't last long after that.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-06-24, 08:37 PM
My games don't seem all that wierd when we're playing them, but stepping back and taking a look at them...

Our main games are set in Star Wars and Forgotten Realms, but they aren't exactly seperate games. Just about everything is set in the same multiverse and bumps into the other stuff every once in a while. Apparently, we like crossovers. Alot. Besides Star Wars and FR, we've got Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lex, Stargate and Phantom of the Opera crossovers, plus a handful of other random stuff. :smalleek:

... For this reason among others, we often revert to playing completely system-less games, because only when we're using FR-Only do the DnD rules actually apply - and our star Wars game is so broken that it can't be rendered in any rules system without becoming even more broken, or nerfed beyond recognition.

Fhaolan
2007-06-24, 11:43 PM
Weird games? Me? Weird? *haha...hahaha... BWHAAAAHAAAHAAHAAAA!*

*cough* Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Okay, let's see...

One that was actually on this board, the entire adventuring party were worgs.

A recent one I was GMing, one of the PCs was reincarnated as a squirrel. And kept playing as such. The rest of the party included a full-blooded Orc prince, his human goth paladin girlfriend, a dwarven priest of the trickster god, a centaur sorceress, twin elves named K'non and F'dar, a half-orc barbarian/bard, and one lone normal human fighter/rogue character.

A past one I GM'ed was set in an Oriental Adventures campain. Except all the PC races were reptillians known as the Shi. There were various breeds of Shi such as the noble Shi-Lung, the much larger but slower peasant Shi-Fal, and so on.

There were other games. These ones are just the easiest to explain. :smallsmile:

Dairun Cates
2007-06-25, 12:19 AM
Well, I don't always do D&D, but I have enough horror stories about weird campaigns that I could probably do an entire blog on it for the rest of my life. I suppose the weirdest CONCEPTUALLY though is the pet monster campaign.

Basically, my group is weird. So, for some amusement, I decided to run a campaign that is a straight parody of Pokemon. On top of the bad jokes, stereotypes, and lack of logic, the universe also had dubbing errors, violent scenes cut out of the American version and therefore never happened in game, one episode skipped because of being a hot springs episode, and a constant breaking of the fourth wall. That's weird enough by itself, but then my players discovered that their entire favorite sport was a dark cover for a God's enslavement of the entire multiverse and that winning the tournament meant achieving Godhood. So, take a parody pet monster campaign, throw in one multiverse, and then finish with enough time travel to cause the PCs to accidently create their own encounters.

It was certainly weird.

Diggorian
2007-06-25, 12:25 AM
I played in this EPIC 3.0 Planescape game where all the players made the homeplanes of their PCs. The BBEGs, two demigods that mazed the Lady of Pain in a coup, were draining the energy from our homes so we had to travel to each of them by roundabout paths through the planes to sever the connection.

I made a Dwarven cleric from an ice covered world where dwarves were the dominant race and humans were an Orc subrace. He traveled to an anime world of catfolk, 15th century Earth, a fairie tale land, and a dark world beseiged by armies of intelligent undead. We leveled every session, from 1 to the climax at 20, and often fought battles with dozens of enemies.

EPIC :smallbiggrin:

Ditto
2007-06-25, 12:41 AM
The second session I sat in on was run by a friend's visiting friend... something like level 7 evil campaign, maybe eight players... it was a mess. One was an awakened ape who rode on the back of a giant eagle. Another was a "huge black barbarian. Named KOTOR!" Every sentence involving him emphasized his hugeness, blackness, and KOTOR!ness.

I played a druid and got knocked out of the air while trying to escape in the form of a gnat. Stupid sword archon. I didn't know how AC worked or that a 7th level druid can't turn into a gnat, but that game was so ridiculous I didn't care/didn't learn.

Elven Paladin
2007-06-25, 02:33 AM
The first time I ever tried running a D&D game, I had my friend battle the likes of Don King as an Orc while also learning that the entire multiverse was under the rule of Bill Gates. He killed Bill...

Kizara
2007-06-25, 03:43 AM
Actually, my wierdest campaign is the one whom this account is named after.

Kizara, my ludicriously overpowered 3.0E cleric started his carrer as a pure-blooded vampiric cleric of vecna, with straight-18 stats and a 2 LA.

What followed was a series of stupidly lucky rolls combined with a huge amount of balls (and lets be honest, some less-then-advised DMing decisions) that led to a character gaining success, reputation and gigantic amounts of wealth. By the end of the campaign, the character LITERALLY had mountains of gold, and about 2 dozen artifacts, including 5 major ones. He started equiping his favorite followers with artifacts and epic items...

A master of torture, a true believer and advocate of the dark arts, Kizara had one real weakness: he cared about his followers. He ended up falling in love with an Astral Deva, and unwilling to corrupt her as he had anything else he ever touched, he ended up becomming LN from NE.

By the end of the campaign (lvl 1-20), his minions included a succubus, an erineyes, about a dozen vampires, 2 blackgaurds, personally converted by him, and a sentient advanced Iron Golem.
His allies included a creature half red and half gold great wyrm dragon, a demi-god of knowledge and psionics, an epic-level human rogue.
His enemies included Bel (the lord of the 1st layer of hell), the overlord of a large and powerful (aboveground) vampire nation, an epic-level sorcereress and her demon army and Pelor.

He went from a vampire, to a pseudo-half-celestial creature that was literally genetically engineered by Gaia (an NPC in that campaign) to be incredibly powerful. He had tarraquian-regen (20 of it), an anti-magic eye cone (most overpowered ability EVER), and stupid stat bonuses while maintaining most of his vampire powers.

This campagin also was home to some of the most absurdly impossible plot developments you could imagine. I literally had to have a Checkov's Gun for almost anything. From having to go within your own mind to defeat yourself, to a large meteor randomly falling on your house, to the lord of the first (bel) deciding you were a threat, to being sent to a completely alien multiverse with only your current traveling companions, meeting a race of creatures that dwarf even your own power, and having to somehow find your way back.

I could LITERALLY go on for like 10 pages on a 'brief summary' of a year-long campaign, that was one of the most rewarding and interesting experiences I've ever had. Kizara was well on his way to godhood when the campaign got retired.

Tengu
2007-06-25, 05:03 AM
I've played many games with weird elements, but they mixed it with ordinary and serious ones. Completely weird one? This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47425).

Foxtale
2007-06-25, 05:09 AM
At one point I was RPing with a Wizard trapped in a bottle. He had every Knowledge skill maxed, and could cast spells by applying the Still Spell Metamagic, but unless he'd cast Fly or Overland Flight on himself, he had to be carried everywhere.

evisiron
2007-06-25, 05:24 AM
"Normal group can't make it. We need a filler game"

I heard this as the current GM, and so the insanity ensued. My basic idea was that a thief had stolen a powerful artifact and used portals to jump between 'worlds' (game systems) and the players had to try and catch him.

So, started in DnD, then went to:
-Mushroom kingdom in super mario
-Generic city in Vampire: The masquarade. This was a really short incounter as the cleric had prepared a Daylight spell.
-The blockade runner in star wars
-And eventually the real world, were the characters fought the players themselves (inspired by Gamers of course).

Characters included:
-Catgirl. Not the popular one, just someone who had a bag of holding full of cats and would hurl them at people.
-Emo Prime: Used converted construct stats for the Optimus ripoff
-Flying Monkey with A Turkey Baster
-Jefro - The Retarded Slug! The player showed up late, so I let the other players make his character. Basically a slug with tiny contruct legs and loads of levels in Cleric.

Roderick_BR
2007-06-25, 07:05 AM
Hmm.. the weirdest one I had was a group of monsters (a female drow, a orc, a lizardfolk, and a gnoll) fighting their way out of the cellar of in a human castle. Not unlike what's happening in the Goblins webcomic, except that in my story no one was Good aligned.

Pronounceable
2007-06-25, 08:11 AM
Weirdest one was some WH40Kish strange game with no holds barred. I was a troll with a chainsaw in one hand, and a grenade launcher in other (like the ogre in Quake). I also wore a tuxedo.

Other characters were even worse, and the game died within the hour.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-25, 09:14 AM
I'm planning on DMing a weird game. It's going to be a combination of hilarious, philosophical, and disturbing.

Confirmed characters are a Cannibal Gnoll Chef (Probably won't cook too many Gnolls, but I'll be sure to have it happen a few times), A Succubus that combines the worst(best?) parts of Black Mage and a Preying Mantis, and an easily manipulative Half Orc jerk.

There might be someone playing an Emo Drow too. As in I asked them too.

I don't know exactly how it will turn out, but I'm reasonably confident I won't be able to say half the things that happen on these forums because you're just not supposed to talk about those things :smallbiggrin: (Sex and some strong Religious themes.)

Siric
2007-06-25, 09:38 AM
My group generally doesn't have to many weird characters... however, when we ALL get together (five of us), the results can be interesting. We only have the Player's Handbook, the DM Guide and Monster Manual, and the last two are on the computer. So usually, unless it's in the Player's Handbook, we're to lazy to figure out the specifics. And, when we do ALL get together, it's usually after a game or two of Warhammer 40K, and it's most of the time it's around 3-4 in the morning, after being up anywhere from 12-48 hours (Meh. I don't know how long other groups sessions last, so I don't know if that is lot of time or a little.)

While our PC's generally comprise of goblinoids and hybrid races (namely Elflings, Gnomlings, and Half elf/Half Orc's) Or NPC's generally comprise of flying Gnome Mages, the Tau, the Tyranids, the Protoss, the Burger King King, Flying Sharks that feast only on clergymen, The halfling riddled with Mental disorders... that's All I can think of off the top of my head... I'd have to call someone...

Matthew
2007-06-26, 09:53 PM
Never really saw the attraction of Minotaur Fishermen or Half Dragon Samurai. I think the weirdest game I ever played was in The Forgotten Realms and involved a lot of odd things happening to the Paladin Character I was playing. It started with sentient bushes and ended with a floating castle - the DM was making it up off the cuff and it showed, but it was still fun.

Probably the weirdest game I was DM for involved Characters from War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay being recruited into the War Hammer 40,000 Imperial Army.

I dunno, it sounds pretty standard compared to what other people seem to do...

nerulean
2007-06-26, 10:25 PM
Our coming High Level Adjustment game will probably rank fairly high up there on the weird scale. Illogical applications of templates abound! Having found out that my chosen character combination is invalid because I forgot the MMII is 3.0, I'm thinking of statting up something camel-based, which will make me one of the more normal ones.

Up until now, the most non-standard game I've played was where all the PCs were dragons. That was fun. Using some homebrew rules for adding classes to monsters, we ended up with a party of eight enormous creatures with full BAB and full sorcerer casting, each of whom had a speciality on top of that. Metallic dragon beguiler? Never need another party member again. Might have to try one of those as a BBEG some day, in fact.