PDA

View Full Version : What's the spot check for a change in lighting conditions

PallentisLunam
2016-04-28, 06:46 PM
So this has come up in one of my campaigns recently. I have a player who made a Shade character and took Telflammar Shadowlord. The basic character design is to wrap himself in shadows, pop out and do very nasty things to people, and then *insert favorite 4 letter word here* off. Now his shadows give him concealment which allows him to make a hide check. Most enemies are going to have a very hard time spotting him specifically because that's what this character is built for. But this the crux of the issue, he is effectively a giant cloud of darkness. If he's moving up to a target and that target has a light source, logically they should notice his approach even if they can't spot him.

I know how I am planning to handle this and the player and I have come to an agreement on this but I figured it was an interesting discussion and there might be some obscure (or slightly less so) RAW that we are missing which addresses this situation.

Troacctid
2016-04-28, 06:58 PM
I would put it at DC 0. It is very easy to spot, but you could miss it due to distraction (-5 penalty) or distance (-1 penalty per 10 feet).