PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Tips and Tricks - Pure Trickery Domain Cleric

JumboWheat01
2016-04-28, 06:52 PM
I'll admit to many things, that I'm a "class purist" and that I create a lot of characters, perhaps too many, that never get played. Some are because of things I play in some of the D&D video games that I try to bring to the table. After a recent sting with a Tiefling Cleric of Tymora on Neverwinter Online, I got another idea for a character to draw up.

Now, I'll also admit to completely glossing over the Trickery domain. For the most part it's because it struck me as a domain that best benefited from multi-classing, something I try to avoid at all costs, and secondly because I never really saw much draw to gods with the Trickery domain. I suppose idea change as you experience them, even if they don't really have the features they should.

Still, I know next to nothing about farting around with a Trickery cleric, so here I am, back on the GitP forum where I've started to frequent far more than I thought I would, asking for player help on some tips or tricks with this domain.

Crgaston
2016-04-28, 07:21 PM
I've played one. A Drow... Youngest sister so sitting in the shadows of her Elder sisters. She was quite the supportist. Able to grant advantage on stealth rolls by touch, make an illusion of herself and could cast spells from the illusion. Everyone seems to hate the domain but it's actually quite fun. She used a whip as her primary weapon, plus daggers..

She was Queen Bee of a party of Drow, high charisma and so quite bossy. Able to order the rogue to go scout and make him better at it. And mirror image herself in combat.

brainface
2016-04-28, 08:02 PM
Cast sanctuary right as the town watch runs to arrest you. Taunt them, safe in your life of crime thanks to the protective aura of your god.

Fun additional fact: sleight of hand doesn't break sanctuary.

I'd definitely pick one of the crimey stealthy backgrounds if taking this domain. And maybe pick a race with weapon proficiencies. I don't think it's a very powerful choice, but there's definitely a lot of fun to be had with it.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-28, 08:38 PM
I was thinking of the Urchin background, what with the nice thief-like abilities, free tools, and the thematic bonus of one who was always down on his luck forging his own destiny through finding faith in Tymora.

Temperjoke
2016-04-28, 09:03 PM
See, for me, I've contemplated a Chaotic Good/Neutral Trickery human or half-elf cleric (haven't really decided firmly yet). He's anti-establishment, acting as a healer for the criminals, rebels, and downtrodden poor, against the wealthy upper class that he feels are oppressing them. He's missing an eye from his childhood days, a noble caught him taking a look at his daughter, and had my cleric's eye removed as punishment. He keeps a false eye there underneath an eyepatch, with an emblem of his god printed on it (kinda like a backup holy symbol in case his amulet is taken away). He's got the criminal background, but more of a Robin Hood figure.

Crgaston
2016-04-28, 09:36 PM
Yeah, urchin would be top notch for this. I did noble, which you'd think would be great, but not so much.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-29, 07:47 AM
He's an interesting draw up, so far, I'll say. Probably my first character without any feats in his life, since using the standard array with a tiefling, I can't grab a feat and still hit 20 DEX and 18 WIS.

But I think I might seriously consider this fellow as my next character. He feels like he's going to be interesting to play and fun on top of that. And a dagger is a perfectly fine weapon, even if it's only a d4.

Temperjoke
2016-04-29, 07:50 AM
He's an interesting draw up, so far, I'll say. Probably my first character without any feats in his life, since using the standard array with a tiefling, I can't grab a feat and still hit 20 DEX and 18 WIS.

But I think I might seriously consider this fellow as my next character. He feels like he's going to be interesting to play and fun on top of that. And a dagger is a perfectly fine weapon, even if it's only a d4.

If you can find a way for the character to learn to use a poison kit, you could coat that dagger with all kinds of tricks.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-29, 07:57 AM
Well the poison kit is nothing, by RAW, I can simply pick that up during downtime between adventuring.

Good idea though. Especially with the Divine Strike also dealing with Poison damage. Quite thematic.

Billy Corman
2017-06-07, 04:36 PM
Urban Bounty Hunter Wood Elf. So Thieves' Tools and basic weapon proficiencies. I won the roll for a whistle that uses Animate Undead, so now I have 4 pieces (actual, illusion, 2 skeles) on the map to confuse the DM.

This one will make the DM cry someday.