PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand of Doom and Etc. Adventures

russdm
2016-04-28, 07:07 PM
How difficult is translating Red Hand of Doom to 5E? Are there major stat rewrites? How about "Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde" and "Scourge of the Howling Horde"? I have some adventures still from 3.5, that I was considering transferring over and wanted to know how difficult it would be?

How would 3.5 adventures play in 5e? Any differently? Does anyone have experience of that?

Dizlag
2016-04-29, 06:23 AM
I went through all the monsters and NPCs in Red Hand of Doom last year sometime and it would seem about 65% - 75% of the monsters will be a pretty straight forward transfer to 5e from 3.5e at about the same level of difficulty, if I remember correctly. =)

I know I had a lot of named NPCs and BBEGs left to do still. But, taking the guidelines from the DMG to balance out stats for montsters (AC, HPs, Damage per round, etc), it should be pretty clean and fun to make the conversion.

My buddy started running his family through it in 5e with a lot of success too.

Dizlag

Dr. Cliché
2016-04-29, 06:26 AM
I know I had a lot of named NPCs and BBEGs left to do still. But, taking the guidelines from the DMG to balance out stats for montsters (AC, HPs, Damage per round, etc), it should be pretty clean and fun to make the conversion.

I think you and I have different ideas about what constitutes 'fun'. :smalltongue:

Dizlag
2016-04-29, 06:48 AM
I think you and I have different ideas about what constitutes 'fun'. :smalltongue:

LOL! Well, I enjoy creating characters and know just how much easier it is to make encounters in 5th edition D&D than in 3.5 D&D. I ran the Red Hand of Doom when it first came out for my group playing 3.5 and it was a pain in the arse. I spent SO much time reworking encounters to challenge my group of 8 players ... yes, 8 players then went down to 7, but the module was built for 4 - 5 characters. NOT fun. =)

Making a bunch of Way of the Fist hobgoblin monks to toss at my PCs. Yes! hehehe

Dizlag