PDA

View Full Version : frenzied berserker Fang dragon Level 20 Npc Boss

Nosta
2016-04-28, 07:14 PM
so for one of the top end bosses in my game will be one of seven great dragon lords
and this time I came up with the idea for a Gestalt Fang dragon with levels in Barbarian that levels into frenzied berserker
But i'm not sure if this would be to much. I mean I plan for this to be a decently high power game but i'm not sure.

they'd be level 16 before fighting this boss and have support from two level 20 npc but still I want to use this idea cause in my mind its really cool but it seems like it might be too much for them

Esprit15
2016-04-28, 07:39 PM
If they have the two level 20 NPCs, unless they are there to provide temporary distraction (or to show how terrifying it is as it rips them both in half on round one), then why are the level 16 characters relevant? What age the dragon is is also relevant. Remember that a normal Frenzied Berserker that has completed the class is already level 16, a supposedly appropriate encounter for the party already. If it is just a single level of barb and a level or two of FB, then that's a little better. Also, consider Bloodscaled Fury from Draconomicon if you want a raging barbarian of a dragon, instead.

DarkSoul
2016-04-28, 07:56 PM
Didn't you just post about being a DM for this group for the first time, and feeling overwhelmed?

Forget gestalt. It's explicitly described as a high-powered campaign option, and for an inexperienced player, regardless of what side of the screen they're on, it's more trouble that it's worth.

Back on topic. A fang dragon FrB has a lot of flavor, with Fang dragons being the brawlers of dragonkind. The Bloodscaled Fury suggestion is a good one, and I'd expand on that by recommending you custom-build all your important dragons from the ground up using the Draconomicon, then play them to the best of your ability.

What CR are you aiming for with this dragon?

Nosta
2016-04-28, 08:03 PM
Didn't you just post about being a DM for this group for the first time, and feeling overwhelmed?

Forget gestalt. It's explicitly described as a high-powered campaign option, and for an inexperienced player, regardless of what side of the screen they're on, it's more trouble that it's worth.

Back on topic. A fang dragon FrB has a lot of flavor, with Fang dragons being the brawlers of dragonkind. The Bloodscaled Fury suggestion is a good one, and I'd expand on that by recommending you custom-build all your important dragons from the ground up using the Draconomicon, then play them to the best of your ability.

What CR are you aiming for with this dragon?

CR 20 is what I want to shoot for

Malroth
2016-04-28, 08:57 PM
Well every listed dragon is 3-10 CR stronger than it's CR as listed as even without using it's WBL, adding in class levels or Gestaulting. If you want to keep with the spirit of CR with a CR20 Creature being an average fight for a ECL20 Party start with a CR 13 or 14 dragon, Throw on the frenzied berserker levels as actual class levels, with the Wyrm of War sovereign archetype thrown in for good measure.

DarkSoul
2016-04-29, 01:46 PM
Myk-tiython, Fang Dragonlord CR: 21

Male Great Wyrm Fang Dragon
CN Gargantuan Dragon
Init +4; Senses Blindsense 60 ft., Darkvision 120 ft., keen senses (2x distance in normal light, 4x distance in shadowy); Listen +44, Spot +44
Aura: Frightful Presence 360 ft. (Will save DC 28 + Cha)
Languages: Common, Draconic, 4 others.

AC: 49, touch 451, flat-footed 45 (+4 Dex, -4 size, +4 shield, +35 deflection1)
HP: 558 (36d12+324) DR: 20/magic
Immune: sleep, paralysis, fatigue2, exhaustion2, ability damage/drain2
Resistances: SR 36
Fort: +34, Ref: +29, Will: +33

Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Fly 150 ft. (30 squares, clumsy)
Melee: bite +51 (4d8+15/x2 +2d6 Con drain, Fort DC 35 negates) or
Melee:

bite +51 (4d8+15/x2) and
claw +49/+44/+39/+34/+29 (4d6+22/x2) and
claw +49 (4d6+22/x2) and
2 wings +49 (2d8+7/x2) and
tail slap +49 (4d6+22/x2)

Space: 20 ft. Reach: 15 ft. (20 ft. with Bite)
Base Attack: +36; Grapple: +63 (base attack + size mod + str bonus)
Attack Options: Power Attack, trip (claw or tail, +35 check), Improved Trip, rend (8d6+22, automatic if 2 claws hit), Combat Reflexes (4 AoO)
Special Actions: crush (medium or smaller, Reflex DC 35 or pinned until dragon moves off them, normal grapple rules for maintaining the pin, damage dealt on impact and per round pinned) 4d8+22, tail sweep (small or smaller affected, standard action, 30 ft. radius semicircle, Reflex DC 35 for half damage) 2d8+22.
Combat Gear: dust of disappearance (3 uses)
Spells Known: (CL 15, 1d20+15 to overcome SR, save DC 17+ spell level, ranged touch attack bonus +40)

7th-level (4/day) - greater teleport, ironguard (SpC)
6th-level (6/day) - chasing perfection (PHB2), heal, globe of invulnerability
5th-level (7/day) - righteous might, symbol of spell loss (SpC), scrying, feeblemind
4th-level (7/day) - spell immunity, sheltered vitality (SpC), assay spell resistance (SpC), orb of fire (SpC)
3rd-level (7/day) - haste, dispel magic, downdraft (SpC), ray of dizziness (SpC)
2nd-level (7/day) - scintillating scales (SpC), invisibility, razorfangs (SpC), wraithstrike (SpC), belker claws (SpC)
1st-level (8/day) - true strike, ray of clumsiness (SpC), comprehend languages, tenser's floating disk, identify
0-level (6/day) - prestidigitation, light, mage hand, open/close, amanuensis, mending

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15, save DC 17+spell level):

At will - read magic, detect magic
2/day - shield, telekinesis (+22 on combat maneuver checks, +43 for attack rolls; 375 lbs. max., boulders deal 15d6)
1/day - dispel magic, spell turning, globe of invulnerability

Abilities: Str 41 (+15), Dex 19 (+4), Con 29 (+9), Int 24 (+7), Wis 27 (+8), Cha 24 (+7)
Feats: Awaken Spell Resistance, Power Attack, Multiattack, Combat Expertise, Rapidstrike (claw), Improved Rapidstrike (claw), Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Large and In Charge, Spell Stowaway (Heal), Rend, Tenacious Magic (scintillating scales), Permanent Emanation (globe of invulnerability)
Skills: Listen +44, Spot +44, Spellcraft +47 (+51 to decipher scrolls), Search +43, Intimidate +43, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +47, Sense Motive +44, Use Magic Device +43 (+47 scrolls), Knowledge (arcana) +43, Knowledge (local) +43, Gather Information +11, Jump +27, Survival +8,
Possessions: combat gear plus hand of the mage, cloak of resistance +5, manual of quickness in action +5 (read already). All spell focuses are wedged between scales.

Ability Drain (Su): A fang dragon does not have a breath weapon, but its bite drains Constitution if the victim fails a Fortitude save (2d6 drain, DC 35).
Increased Damage (Ex): Because of their sharp claws, teeth, and scales, fang dragons deal damage as if they were one size category larger. This ability does not enable the dragon to use attack forms normally not allowed to a dragon of its size.
Trip (Ex): A fang dragon that hits with a claw or tail attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action (see page 158 of the Player's Handbook). If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dragon. This dragon has a +4 bonus to its trip check and does not provoke an attack of opportunity for tripping an opponent, because of its Improved Trip feat. If it trips the opponent, it can make a free attack with the same attack (claw or tail) and attack bonus as the one it used to trip.
Sound Imitation (Ex): A fang dragon can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes. Listeners must succeed at a DC 35 Will save to detect the ruse.

Strategies and Tactics
Before Combat: Cast sheltered vitality, then scintillating scales, and finally chasing perfection. Use shield SLA.
During Combat:

If he can set up a full attack, precede it with a wraithstrike and use Power Attack for 15.
Targeted dispel magic on the weapon of any single melee combatant. If more than one foe is hitting very hard, use ironguard instead.
Target casters in preference to mundanes, especially lightly-armored ones. When attacking, move adjacent to the target to maximize provoked attacks of opportunity.
If he's charged, use Large and In Charge to stop the charger. All attacks of opportunity are taken with his bite.
If facing opponents with high miss chances (displacement etc.), use True Strike to ensure bites hit.
If he takes more than 120 points of damage, withdraw to cast heal. Note that Spell Stowaway (heal) triggers whenever anyone other than him casts it. If he can get henchmen capable of casting it on him, he's affected twice.

Permanent Emanation (globe of invulnerability) can be lowered and raised as a free action, which he does to cast spells of 4th-level or lower. Tenacious Magic (scintillating scales) ensures that he's protected against touch attacks even when facing heavy dispelling.

1: Scintillating Scales converts his natural armor bonus to a deflection bonus, allowing it to apply to touch AC.
2: Sheltered Vitality makes him immune to fatigue, exhaustion, and ability damage or drain.

After thinking about it, I realized that Frenzied Berserker would likely be a horrible idea for a 15th-level sorcerer.

I deliberately spent very little gold, to allow customizing his gear to suit the campaign. The dexterity tome should probably not count against his WBL due to his status as well as the amount of gold it would take from the party's reward.

He knows symbol of spell loss because if he's attacked in his lair, he's covered the floor with them. He's never affected by his own symbols, per the spell description.

His skills include the increased synergy bonus (+4) gained from having 25+ ranks in a skill. Any skill with a check modifier not in the 40's has no ranks and is usable untrained.

His hit points are statistical average (6.5 hp/HD). Maximum hp is 756 if you need them.

If you still decide to run a gestalt game, honestly I don't know what else to give him. Maybe scout for skirmish and head up the spring attack tree to bounding assault and rapid blitz? Abjurant Champion 5 for CL 36+ on his sorcerer spells?