PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Green flame blade question

dnd2016
2016-04-28, 10:32 PM
If i take Magic Initiate at 4th level, what class can i take green flame blade with? Sorcerer,wiz,warlock? or i can pick any class?

Corran
2016-04-28, 10:35 PM
For the purposes of the feat, you must select either sorcerer, wizard or warlock.

NNescio
2016-04-28, 10:44 PM
For the purposes of the feat, you must select either sorcerer, wizard or warlock.

And of course, the relevant spellcasting ability score is also dependent on the choice. Getting GFB from Sorc or 'lock would make it dependent on Charisma. Getting it from Wiz would make it run off Intelligence instead.

Zman
2016-04-28, 10:44 PM
Don't forget that for whatever class you choose to get it from, you us that Class's casting stat.

dnd2016
2016-04-28, 10:48 PM
So with that feat, any suggestions if i am looking for range cantrip? (i am lore bard).

Possibly:

wiz - G.flame blade, firebolt, familiar
warlock - G.flame blade, eldridge blast,hex
Sorcerer - not sure

EvilAnagram
2016-04-28, 11:14 PM
So with that feat, any suggestions if i am looking for range cantrip? (i am lore bard).

Possibly:

wiz - G.flame blade, firebolt, familiar
warlock - G.flame blade, eldridge blast,hex
Sorcerer - not sure

Sorcerer:
GFB, Ray of Frost (because only suckers get the same damage type for two cantrips), Shield.

CaptAl
2016-04-29, 12:50 AM
Sorcerer:
GFB, Ray of Frost (because only suckers get the same damage type for two cantrips), Shield.

I'll second this idea. Although, I would suggest Chill Touch over RoF for the ranged cantrip. But only bc I like the riders better.

Corran
2016-04-29, 01:01 AM
Shocking grasp (sorc/wiz) is also a good choice for when you need to escape an adjacent enemy, though ofc it is not a ranged cantrip that you asked for.

NNescio
2016-04-29, 03:33 AM
I'll second this idea. Although, I would suggest Chill Touch over RoF for the ranged cantrip. But only bc I like the riders better.

Chill Touch also enables a nasty little trick when combined with a Minor Illusion dropped over your position, since you can get advantage on attacks without actually interacting with the illusion itself, because it unambiguously creates a ghostly hand in the space of the attacked creature instead of shooting off some projectile (unlike most ranged spell attacks). True, by RAW, attacking would break stealth, but you still get advantage regardless as long as they can't see through the illusion (since you're still unseen, even without stealth).

('though I do suppose that it is arguable that some spell projectiles don't physically interact with the illusion, but the case is unambiguous for Chill Touch, since it doesn't interact at all).

Shocking grasp (sorc/wiz) is also a good choice for when you need to escape an adjacent enemy, though ofc it is not a ranged cantrip that you asked for.

Generally I'd rather take the Withdraw action instead, which would also allow me to escape from multiple adjacent enemies (instead of just one). True, there are some abilities/traits/feats that can ignore Withdraw, but it's generally less risky than attempting an attack which might miss.

Shocking Grasp does have it uses though, especially when it is more important to prevent use of a reaction, and it can be delivered via familiar.

It's also sort of useful for a gish, but Booming Blade took a lot of wind out of its sails in this use.

dnd2016
2016-04-29, 05:08 PM
Good options, and i like shield for reaction, but only 1 use/day. Familiar could last all day, getting lots of utility and some advantage to attacks/ability checks. Man i want eldritch balst, 1d10 and force.....but hex is meh

Corran
2016-04-29, 05:13 PM
Good options, and i like shield for reaction, but only 1 use/day. Familiar could last all day, getting lots of utility and some advantage to attacks/ability checks. Man i want eldritch balst, 1d10 and force.....but hex is meh
You can always take armor of agathys, to cast it at a higher level before a hard fight, so that you make yourself an unappealing target, while increasing your survivability (character with high level spell slots and low hp, is a good fit for AoA) and your dpr. Not the most optimal thing to do but it may save your character.

RickAllison
2016-04-29, 05:36 PM
You can always take armor of agathys, to cast it at a higher level before a hard fight, so that you make yourself an unappealing target, while increasing your survivability (character with high level spell slots and low hp, is a good fit for AoA) and your dpr. Not the most optimal thing to do but it may save your character.

Do remember that it has been officially verified that one cannot use spells from Magic Initiate through spell slots unless one could cast it through levels. So unless one already has a level of Warlock (and so could get AoA anyway), one can't use higher levels with AoA. One is thus stuck with the first level version.

Corran
2016-04-29, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, you are totally right, completely forgott about that.