PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder help? Lady Luck Build

Ezrulie
2016-04-28, 11:44 PM
Hi, im new to this kind of thing but I come asking help on creating a prestige class for my bard. So recently I joined a pathfinder game and kinda was stuck playing the healer, yeah, always fun. But i was never good as a cleric so I decided trying a bard since its close to my typical play style. (rogues for life <3) I like to plan ahead and couldnt find a prestige class that I would be able to use that would make me useful with my party. My bard is about to hit level 10 and I don't know what to do with her, so me and my DM talked over coming up with a class that I could play that would cater to being a support while still being fun for me to play. So I came with the conclusion of Lady Luck, a luck based support class who could help her allies by offering re roll opportunities and bonuses. I've been hard at work trying to make her a balanced class but at the same time trying to make her useful. After fiddling around with some aspects of different classes to come up with something heres what I got.

Lady Luck

Lady Luck, the woman who most people look to when they are playing games with chance. These individuals often find that no matter what happens to them in life, luck will always be there to help them out.

Role: Lady Luck is often sought out for their uncanny affinity with luck. She provides aid to those around her by spreading the luck around and giving others a chance that they so desperately needed. They can often be the deciding factor in which a battle will be won or lost, just depends on how lucky they are.

Alignment: As unpredictable as luck itself, Lady Luck often finds herself staying within the realm of neutral rather than committing to a certain way of life.

Prerequisites: Female gender, skill at 8 ranks
------------

Hit Die D8

Class Skills:
Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Sense Motive, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Survival, Stealth, Use Magic Device, Disable Device, and Craft.

Skill Points: 8 + Int Mod
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Class Features
1 0 0 1 0 Luck Pool (1d6 plus Cha Mod), AC Bonus
2 1 1 1 1 Lucky Guess, Luck’s Fury (1d6)
3 2 1 2 1 Deadly Luck, Shared Fortune.
4 3 1 2 1 Luck Pool (2d6), Stroke of Luck, Luck’s Fury (2d6)
5 3 2 3 2 Double Gold!
6 4 2 3 2 Lucky Dodge, Treasure Sense
7 5 3 4 3 Luck Pool (3d6), Double Items!
8 6 3 4 3 Fortune’s Favor
9 6 3 5 3 Twist of Luck!, Luck’s Fury (3d6)
10 7 4 6 4 Luck Pool (4d6), Double Experience!, Let the dice fall where they may!

Class Features

Luck Pool (EX): At 1st level, a Lady Luck gains a pool of Luck points, supernatural energy she can use to accomplish amazing feats. The number of points in Lady Luck’s Luck pool is equal to 1d6 + her Charisma modifier. As long as she has 1 Luck Point in her Luck Pool, she may reroll die for a failed skill/spells/attack/save.

By spending 1 Luck Point from her Luck Pool, Lady Luck may give herself a +4 insight bonus on any skill roll/checks for 1 round. This bonus counts as a Luck Bonus.
The luck pool is replenished each day regardless of how much rest or meditation taken. Player must roll her allotment of d6’s for her total amount of Luck Points for that day.

AC Bonus: At level 1, When unarmored and unencumbered, Lady Luck adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC and her CMD. In addition, a Lady Luck gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four Lady Luck levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 10th level.
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Lucky Guess? (EX): At 2nd level, Lady Luck may use a luck point from her pool to roll an untrained skill roll and roll that skill as if trained in it, in addition she gains a Luck Bonus equal to her Lady Luck level.

Luck’s Fury: At 2nd Level, Lady Luck may spend a luck point to add onto her attack roll 1d6 onto her total. If it hits, Lady Luck may also add 1d6 onto her damage roll. This increases by 1d6 on 4th, 7th, and 9th level.

Deadly Luck: At 3rd Level, Lady Luck has learned how to make use of her luck in combat, by utilizing it as a weapon itself. Upon a successful attack, Lady Luck may roll 2d6s when rolling for damage; she may add the total onto her damage. In the event of a 12; Lady Luck’s attack damage is doubled but in the event of snake eyes (2 1’s) Lady Luck suffers the damage from the attack, doubled.

Shared Fortune: At 3rd level, Lady Luck has learned how to extend her luck to her allies and help them gain the edge in battle that could change the tides of war. By spending 1 luck point, an ally may re roll a failed attack/skill/or saving roll.

Stroke of Luck!: At 4th level, Lady Luck has gained an affinity for luck and is shown favor when she needs a helping hand. By spending 1 luck point, Lady Luck may add her Lady Luck level onto her AC, Attack, Damage, Saving Throws, and Skill checks for 1 round.

Double Gold!: At 5th level, Lady Luck has the uncanny ability to making more money appear from almost no where! Filling pockets and purses is one reason why Lady Luck makes a good friend.

Lucky Dodge: At 6th level, Lady Luck can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, nor does she lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if the attacker is invisible. She still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. Lady Luck with this ability can still lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action against her.
If Lady Luck already possesses uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Treasure Sense: Lady Luck adds ˝ her level to Perception skill checks made to find treasure and to Disable Device skill checks. Lady Luck can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Double Items!: at 7th level, Luck grows even stronger with Lady Luck as she is able to make more items appear for herself and her party. Doubles the amount of loot found and/or gained.

Fortune’s Favor: Lady Luck’s affinity for luck has grown to such a degree she has some conscious influence over her own luck and even the luck of her allies. at 8th level, Lady Luck may spend 2 luck points in adding her level to her allies rolls.

Twist of Luck!: At 9th Level, Lady Luck can now use her own luck to interfere with her enemy’s luck, causing it to falter and make their luck work against them. By spending 1 luck point per enemy, Lady Luck may roll her amount of dice for Luck’s Fury and roll. The total is taken from enemy’s rolls for 1 round. For an additional luck point, Lady Luck may add her level onto the reduction.

Double Experience!: At level 10, Lady Luck’s ability to influence luck has far surpassed just the physical world as it now effects how fast she and others around her progress as people. Experience given from quests or battle are doubled.

Let the Dice fall where they May!: The supreme ability of any Lady Luck is the ability to just go with the flow and let the dice fall where they may, as she rolls 1d20 luck will show the entire party great favor or great disaster!
• 1: Gm rolls d100 for a kind of creature and then rolls a d10 for the number of the creature to be summoned and hostile to the party.
• 2: Party is considered fatigued for 1d10 rounds.
• 3: Party suffers -10 to all rolls for 1d10 rounds.
• 4: Opponents go first, regardless of initiative rolls.
• 5: Lady Luck cannot cast spells for 1d4 rounds.
• 6: Party receives 300gp
• 7: Gm rolls d100 for 1st level spell cast as free action
• 8: Party is considered blessed
• 9: Party gains +1 to AC for 1d4 rounds
• 10: Reroll roulette
• 11: Lady Luck gains barbarian “rage” for 1st level. GM rolls d100 to confirm if target is friend or foe.
• 12: Lady Luck is affected by the invisibility spell.
• 13: Party gains +2 to attack rolls.
• 14: Roll d100 x 100gp for loot.
• 15: Party is considered “Hasted” and enemies are considered “Slowed”
• 16: Opponents are considered “Hasted” while party is considered “Slowed”
• 17: GM has to roll for magical item that’s higher than +2
• 18: Horn of Summons effect: 1d4 fighters equal to ˝ Lady Luck’s level
• 19: Party gains x2 xp if survives encounter
• 20: Lady Luck picks any outcome from roulette she desires

Firest Kathon
2016-04-29, 05:57 AM
You may get a better response by having your thread moved to the Homebrew forum. Just report it yourself (exclamation mark icon in the lower left corner) and ask the mods to move it there.

Kamai
2016-05-01, 11:20 PM
While this should go into homebrew, I'm still going to look at this right here.

The first question that I'd personally want to ask is this class supposed to be tailor-made to a bard, with the possibility of other classes entering, or is this supposed to be something nearly any class can look towards? Suggestions here are going to assume that a Rogue, Bard, and Cleric/Oracle of Chaos or luck are going to look towards this class, although this class will lean slightly towards spellcasters.

Requirements: Ugh. I really hate gender/racial requirements, unless it adds a lot of flavor. From what I can see, we can call this class Fateweaver, Blessed of Chance, or something along those lines, and lose nothing of flavor. Since Pathfinder does not really have luck feats (outside of Halfling), I'd maybe suggest 6 skills at 8 ranks. Especially if you want unarmored AC early, this will either call for significant build resources or push the class late on a Cleric, Oracle, or Sorcerer chassis, while tailormaking it for a Bard or Rogue chassis. Since you're already 10th level, we can safely bump up the skill requirement to 6 skills at 10 ranks (which also makes it more open what we can allow).

Skills: Given this is pathfinder, you don't need to send a full list of skills like a 3.5 prestige class. The only skills listed here should be skills absolutely needed for the concept. I personally think that Bluff, and maybe UMD and Disable Device should be added.
I disagree with 8+int, only because we really want space to progress spellcasting. Keeping 6+int from a bard entry should be just enough.

Proficencies: Very sensible that this class doesn't add any, although you should spell it out explicitly.

Vital Statistics: I'm seeing a bunch of non-standard progressions. d8 Hit dice should imply a 3/4 BAB, but nothing of this class really screams 3/4 BAB. Let's look at strong will and reflex (1 + 1/2 per level) and weak fortitude (1/3 + 1/3 per level) and 1/2 BAB (ending with 5 BAB at 10).

Spellcasting: Since the target are spellcasters, let's progress spellcasting for 9/10 levels (only not giving spellcasting on first level to compensate for the unarmored AC on classes that are already going to want a lot of Charisma.

Luck pool: Reroll every failure for having at least 1 luck point in reserve seems a little bonkers, even for an 11th level ability (9th under your original plan). At this point, I'd like to see this cost luck points, though you can have it progress (1 luck point/1 round, 1 luck point/1 minute, 1 minute for each luck point you spend for any reason, always on).

Basic luck ability: You can just call this ability a luck bonus. If you mean for it to stack, you can say "This bonus is either a luck bonus or an insight bonus, chosen when you use the ability."

AC bonus: It would be good to make the scaling on this faster, I'd say +1 AC/CMD every odd level. This puts it at Charisma +4 at 9th level (17th or 19th overall).

Lucky Guess: We're looking at another ability that needs to scale faster. I would advise Lady Luck level + Charisma modifier. At 2nd level, you would need a 32 Charisma to be equal to training the skill, and coming in with a slightly more modest 22 Charisma(16 + 2 level ups + +4 item) still puts it 5 points behind merely leveling the skill.

Luck's Fury: For a class that's intending to be supportive, this ability as is makes no sense (and as it scales, adding 3d6 to an attack roll is too much). As a general design, I don't think we want to throw out luck's fury though, because this is very likely the ability to draw in a rogue if used as a replacement for spellcasting. If you want that general design, I can give it some wording in another post. As far as another ability, how about this.

Misstep (Su): At 2nd level, Lady Luck can instinctively see an opportunity to have the most stubborn ally step out of the way of an attack. As an immediate action, Lady Luck can spend a Luck point to add a 1d6 dodge bonus to an ally's AC against a single attack or a 1d4 Luck bonus to a single save after they are rolled. An ally affected by this is not flat-footed for the single attack. At 4th, 7th, and 10th level, when you use your immediate action to do this, you can spend an extra Luck point before the beginning of your next turn, either to increase the same AC or Save bonus, or to resist against a different attack.

Deadly Luck: I do like the risk/reward idea, but to try to move it to something more supportive:
Whenever you or an ally that you can see rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll, you can spend 1 luck point as a free action to automatically confirm the critical hit and maximize the damage. Whenever you or an ally you can see rolls a natural 1 on an attack, you can regain a luck point by having that ally do double his weapon's base damage (or his spell's base damage) to himself.

Shared Fortune: Pretty basic at this point, though you should mention what kind of action it is.

Stroke of Luck: Being just better for 1 round really doesn't feel right as far as a supportive class. I'd rather see some unluck ability here (which Lady Luck could use selfishly, but could also support allies).

Double Gold: This is one of the abilities that made me really want to give this a go over. This is not something you can really explain away in a world setting, nor something you can really attach rules to without going haywire. Something that might get the idea across, though:

Memento (Ex): At 5th level, Lady Luck can easily find trinkets that aid her in making deals. If Lady Luck has at least 10 gold, she can spend a Luck point to have something that will move a creature's current attitude by 1 step for 1 minute. Diplomacy checks are made at the original attitude's DC. Hostile creatures are allowed a Will save (DC 10 + Lady Luck level + Charisma modifier). This can only affect a creature once every 24 hours.

Lucky Dodge: Reasonable ability, but rather late (remember this is no earlier than character level 13). I don't think there would be any danger with also gaining (improved) evasion here.

Treasure Sense: Again, way too late. At this point, this feels shoehorned in. I'd like to see this turned up to 11, though. (Remember that the minimum character level for these abilities are 14th (16th on my suggestions).
Treasure Sense (Sp): At 6th level, Lady Luck perceives the way luck brings a person where they deserve to be, and can tap into this to be where they want to be, or have what they want to have. Lady Luck can cast Locate Object as a spell-like ability for 1 luck point, or Find the Path as a spell-like ability for 2 Luck Points.

Double Items: ICK. Just like double gold, there is no fair way to adjudicate this ability. I'm really running out of ideas what to replace this with, though.

Twist of Luck: With Luck's fury taken out of the equation, (and -14 on average for 1 rounds of rolls not really being a fair debuff anyways, since it doesn't touch casting), this needs a bit of work.
Twist of Luck (Su): At 9th level, Lady Luck understands how to directly wield luck to ruin nations. Lady luck can spend 1 point of luck as a standard action to force every action to have a 50% chance of failure (including spellcasting). She may increase this to 2 points to increase the duration of the effect to 1 hour. She may burn 4 points of her luck pool (that only return when this effect is broken or the target dies) to make this effect permanent. This is a transmutation(curse) effect with CL = 2* Lady Luck's level for the purposes of Remove Curse, and if the target succeeds on a Will Save (DC 10 + Lady Luck's level + Charisma modifier), the failure chance decreases to 10%.

Double Experience: Stop that already. It doesn't fit D&D, and isn't capstone worthy anyways.

Let the Dice roll as they may: Cool, but could use some tweaks:
Let the Dice roll as they may (ex): The supreme ability of any Lady Luck is the ability to just go with the flow and let the dice fall where they may, whether Luck wants to bless her cause, or ruin it. As long as she has at least 1 point of luck, she can take this risk as a full-round action.
1: Choose a creature randomly from the SM7, SM8, SM9, NA7, NA8, and NA9 lists. That creature is summoned as if Summon Monster 9 or Nature's Ally 9 were cast 1d10 times within 120 feet of Lady Luck. Creatures have maximium hit points, spell resistance 11+HD, and the effects of Augment summoning.
The creatures are hostile, and have a duration of 24 hours (or until Lady Luck is dead).
4: I would give this a duration (say 24 hours).
6: (since the wheel could use a bit more "bad") All magic gear of the party is suppressed for 1 hour. For each item above 25,000 gp suppressed, Lady Luck gains 1 temporary Luck point that lasts for 1 hour.
7: (In another attempt to define tables) Choose 1 spell randomly from your whole party's 1st and 2nd level spells prepared for prepared casters, and known for spontaneous casters. Cast this spell as a free action as if you cast the spell (Save DCs are Charisma based).
11: Lady Luck is affected by confusion for 1 minute (even if she is immune to mind-affecting effects). While confused, all rolls that she makes (other than the targeting for confusion) are rolled twice, taking the best, and all rolls made against her (including to resist her spells) are roll twice, take the worst.
12: Lady Luck is affected by the invisibility spell (CL 20).
17: DM must roll a Major Magical item. The item will mysteriously make it's way to somewhere that Lady Luck and her allies are capable of gaining the item permanently within 1 hour, and will receive information about the item within 1 hour.
18: Horn of Summons effect: 1d4 fighters equal to ˝ Lady Luck’s level [Should be 1/2 character level or full Lady Luck level]
19: I again don't like the double experience, but I'm completely out of ideas.

I just put this together on the fly, and I'd like to see what I have here, and analyze if this becomes strictly better for a Wizard (who could best enter the class on time of the full casters) than just taking wizard. As far as balance, I suspect it'll be fine on a bard, and will make a rogue that takes it stronger. Oracles/Sorcerers will need to have 14 int + human or 16 int, as well as their Favored Class Bonus to enter on time, and for late entry, they still trade a caster level for the unarmored AC.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-01, 11:28 PM
I'd suggest more powers to make enemies less lucky. Luck after all, is just a zero-sum game, so some win, some lose. Can't have the good luck without the bad. Or you could progress more bard features and make it a bardic class.