PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Shurikens

Garresh
2016-04-29, 04:41 AM
Here's a little something thrown together for a Monk or something. Probably would be added to the class list for Monks, Rogues, and Bards.

Shuriken.
Martial Ranged Weapon
Weight: 1/4 pound
Cost: 2sp
Range: 20/60
Damage: 1
Damage Type: Slashing
Properties:Light, Finesse, Thrown, Glancing*

New Property: Glancing

You may not add bonus damage from strength or dexterity to it. Poisons or magical effects are still fully applied.

The projectile continues past the target, landing on the ground. If it lands on uneven, rough, or grassy terrain, it requires a DC 15 perception check to see it.

If you attempt a hide or stealth check immediately following a Glancing attack, it is made at advantage, as the enemy is uncertain from where the attack came from.

Edit: tweaked a bit.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-29, 04:57 AM
Is this for 5e? Because the books already say that darts are shurikens, more or less. I don't really see the attraction of the 'glancing' rule; it's a lot of complexity for a very small benefit.

Garresh
2016-04-29, 05:07 AM
Is this for 5e? Because the books already say that darts are shurikens, more or less. I don't really see the attraction of the 'glancing' rule; it's a lot of complexity for a very small benefit.

Yeah I suppose it is a bit complex. It's more to create a semi-accurate portrayal of how Shuriken were actually used(at least as far as our limited historical accounts show), while intentionally being somewhat weak so as not to be a full blown upgrade or anything.

Plus I mean, if you use poisons and stealth, this actually could be really strong.

Where does it say that darts are Shuriken btw? I must have missed that. There's a section on refactoring melee weapons in the Monk class, but are there more of those somewhere?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-29, 05:11 AM
Where does it say that darts are Shuriken btw? I must have missed that.

I guess page 41 of the DMG is my main citation here.

Durazno
2016-04-29, 11:09 AM
I'd drop the part of the glancing rule that deals with where, exactly, the projectile ended up, and then give a Perception check after the battle to gather up as many shuriken as you can.

Garresh
2016-04-29, 12:19 PM
I'd drop the part of the glancing rule that deals with where, exactly, the projectile ended up, and then give a Perception check after the battle to gather up as many shuriken as you can.

Tweaked and simplified. The point of the perception check is they land flat in grass, and become hard to see. So the affected target just gets cut, and can't see the projectile or the attacker.