PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spheres of Power Unofficial Prestige Class Conversions

digiman619
2016-04-29, 04:58 AM
My super unofficial prestige class conversions! Replace the "Able to cast 1st level arcane spells" requirement with "Caster level: 1". The class is a mid-caster. No other class abilities need conversion. Replace the "Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher" with "Caster level: 4" and "Access to the Telekinesis sphere". The class is a full-caster. The Tricky Spells class ability only applies if they have the Somatic and Verbal casting drawbacks. if they don't have said drawbacks, give them an additional spell point at those levels instead. The Invisible Thief ability remains unchanged, except that it refers to the Invisibility talent of the Illusion sphere, and is an illusion on themselves. No other class ability needs be changed. Replace the "Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells without preparation" requirement with "Caster Level: 1". I'd strongly suggest that a Hedgewitch taking this prestige class be of the Dragonblooded Mortal tradition, but ultimately that's up to the GM. The class is a mid-caster. Blood of dragons is replaced with Focus Sphere (Destruction). The Breath Weapon instead gives you another option on how to manifest your destructive blast. Rather than use the blast type, blast shape and range of your normal destructive blast you may have it take the type and shape listed on pg 75 of the Core Rulebook of type of your dragon bloodline. The Dragon Form allows the use of the alteration sphere and dragon transformation talents with the following restrictions: you can only apply the Dragon transformation to yourself, this doesn't let you have access to the alteration sphere (i.e., you can't choose another talent from that sphere unless you pay a talent to get the alteration sphere base talent first), and no additional traits may be added. If you already have the alteration sphere and the Dragon transformation, increase your caster level by 2 when using that talent. The 10th level ability adds the Size change talent to that transformation. No. Just, just no... Replace the "Able to cast seven different divination spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher." requirement with "Caster Level: 6" and "Access to the Divination sphere" The class is a high-caster. Replace the "Newfound arcana" and "More newfound arcana" with 1 bonus spell point. True Lore Lets you take 20 with any knowledge check and adds 1/2 your caster level as a bonus on this check. No other class feature needs conversion. Unnecessary. No arcane/divine split. and even if there was, all your spell points go into one pool anyway. If you're going to still have vancian magic, that's what the Bokor prestige class is for. Will do more when I'm not so tired...

Saidoro
2016-04-29, 11:40 AM
Advancing the casting feature of your base class isn't really a good way of going about things in spheres of power, since the actual casting power of the base classes varies widely. It's better to just restat them as actual casters with their own caster level and talents per level, like what I did here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392982-Spheres-of-Power-All-Class-Conversions&p=18657486#post18657486)(You're free to idea-mine my version as much as you like).

digiman619
2016-04-29, 12:08 PM
With respect, I didn't advance base class talents; I mentioned that they were casters of various levels. An arcane archer is a mid-caster, with all that confers. Some of the classes make assumptions that plain don't work 'standard' Spheres of Power; things that require alignment descriptors for spells simply don't work unless the DM set that kinda stuff up in advance. Also. I think your requirements on the casting side of things are often redundant. I defy you to show me a build with caster level 5 that does not have at least 7 talents. Your Dragon Disciple, while having a far better interpretation of Form of the Dragon than mine, I admit, kinda botches the breath weapon; it makes a previously interesting option the class had and makes it look weak and boring by comparison. Everything else, I must tip my hat to you for, but some of your stuff irked me.

Saidoro
2016-04-29, 12:41 PM
That's fine, it's certainly not required that you like everything I've ever done :smallwink:.(The talent requirements are for the odd person who gets in via feats.)
But the mid caster thing still doesn't quite work, different classes gain talents at different rates. Compare the soulweaver, the incanter and the thaumaturge, all are full casters, but they each gain a different number of talents per level.