PDA

View Full Version : About sphere of anihilation:

Asmotherion
2016-04-29, 05:03 AM
In the party, one of the PCs is a high level wizard (17 going 18). In one of the dungeons they explored, he got an amulet of the sphere from a lich who was controlling a shere of anihilation. I was tempted to use the cheesee option (like, the sphere got destroyed as they left the tomb or something) but I don't like to punish my players for out of the box thinking.

I haven't seen him after that session, but I am not sure if having a sphere of anihilation with him all the time is a bit too overpowered or if I should let him go throuh with it. Maybe I could make the sphere have 1 charge (till next dawn) and activating it as an action for 10 minutes per day?

EvilestWeevil
2016-04-29, 05:15 AM
As a weapon the sphere is mostly junk, it basically does the damage of a cantrip with a lower DC. No problem there, but the sphere will wreck any terrain you put in the way of the party. It can be used to burrow through dungeons rather than explore them. So, as a weapon it sucks, but it has amazing utility. Given the level they are at, the party should be able to get through most things anyway, except now, it won't cost any resources to do so.

indemnity
2016-04-29, 05:23 AM
Two choices:

1. Take away the new toy
2. Think up newer more clever dungeons

Let it go for a session and see if the players get creative enough. It might add some chaotic fun.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-29, 08:07 AM
At the very least they 'll be able to dispose of all of their litter and "leave no trace" if they are still traveling on foot.

tulebast
2016-04-29, 10:42 AM
In my world, a sphere of annihilation is not considered a thing that good characters would be running around with. Where do you keep it when you sleep? And how do you explain to the tavern owner that his son shouldn't have been so inquisitive while cleaning the room? How do you travel with any speed while having to slow to the speed of sphere movement? What do you do with all the mages that come calling wanting to study the thing (or want to take it away to prevent its misuse, or claim it for their own--probably short-lived--reign of terror), or destroy it because such things are abhorrent to the natural order of the universe?

Seriously, let them keep the thing and then make them rue the day.

kaoskonfety
2016-04-29, 10:49 AM
In my world, a sphere of annihilation is not considered a thing that good characters would be running around with. Where do you keep it when you sleep? And how do you explain to the tavern owner that his son shouldn't have been so inquisitive while cleaning the room? How do you travel with any speed while having to slow to the speed of sphere movement? What do you do with all the mages that come calling wanting to study the thing (or want to take it away to prevent its misuse, or claim it for their own--probably short-lived--reign of terror), or destroy it because such things are abhorrent to the natural order of the universe?

Seriously, let them keep the thing and then make them rue the day.

Something in this vein is the solution. These things are nightmares to most sane persons (AKA: not the adventurers).

A physical restraint - it has a max speed of "not very fast", may not be able to be teleported, and can't exactly be put in a box and dragged.
Social issues - you have a WHAT? EVERYONE RUN!!!
Plot complications - Bumbling scholars want to study it, druids want it destroyed, children think the low hum is fascinating...

Inevitability
2016-04-29, 02:33 PM
At level 17, adventures will be less focused on getting from one place to another, making the disintegrating abilities of the sphere less useful.

Also, a smart enough monster can control the sphere themselves.

RickAllison
2016-04-29, 03:53 PM
At level 17, adventures will be less focused on getting from one place to another, making the disintegrating abilities of the sphere less useful.

Also, a smart enough monster can control the sphere themselves.

The issue with monsters trying to control it is that most don't have skills. Let's look at what creatures have Arcana proficiency: silver dragons (+11/+8/+6 for Ancient, Adult, and Young), Drow Mage (+6), Faerie Dragon (+4), Flameskull (+5), Flumph (+4), Storm Giant (+8), Githzerai Zerth (+6), Green Hag (+3), Lich (+18!), Mind Flayer (+7), Nothic (+3), Oni (+5), slaadi (+3/+5/+6), Androsphinx (+9), Gynosphinx (+14), Arcanaloth (+13), Archmage (+13), Mage (+6). That's actually quite the number, however keep in mind that the target number is going to be at least 25. On average (taking 10, so 27), the list of monsters that can take control are Ancient/Adult Silver Dragons, Storm Giants, Lichs (who often would win...), Mind Flayer, the Sphinxes, Arcanaloth, and the Archmage.

Asmotherion
2016-04-29, 06:20 PM
My problem is mostly the facts that:

A) I like the idea of the wizard using the sphere, but I don't want it to be spammed. I won't like it if an otherwise worthy opponent (boss fight) would be dissintergrated or if it becomes a shortcut to all dungeons.
B) I still want it to be a nice reward since the amulet alone is useless.

So, I'm not so much for making it more of a nuissance than a reward.

My pottential solution so far: making it deactivate after 10 (or 1) minutes, reducing it into a black crystal sphere of about 2 inches. Activating it would use a 9th level spell slot or it could have 1 charge renewed each day. Or it could be cast from the amulet (?) This way it's not going to be abused, and keeps the amulet usefull.

Is there any potential trouble with this I should consider?

Ruslan
2016-04-29, 06:22 PM
And how do you explain to the tavern owner that his son shouldn't have been so inquisitive while cleaning the room?Having a sphere of Annihilation means never having to explain anything to anyone ever.

uraniumrooster
2016-04-29, 08:24 PM
At the very least they 'll be able to dispose of all of their litter and "leave no trace" if they are still traveling on foot.

If the party has a druid or ranger, they'll appreciate that.

If a character of mine had one, I'd rig up a latrine of annihilation. Finally solve the lack of indoor plumbing. :smalltongue:

Daishain
2016-04-29, 09:31 PM
An alternate to the above suggestions might be to make it difficult/dangerous to control. Say the control device is flawed for instance, and there's a chance of it barreling off in the wrong direction or attacking the wrong target. Whatever trick the lich used to avoid these issues died with him. It doesn't have to be incredibly negative, just enough of a risk to make them hesitate before putting it to casual use.

manny2510
2016-04-29, 10:11 PM
Dude, the sphere is a great plot hook. Make it a Macguffin that they absolutely need!

Inevitability
2016-04-30, 10:24 AM
One time when the players use the sphere to destroy something, a single object doesn't get destroyed. Say they tunnel through a mountain, and a random rock just falls through the sphere without getting destroyed.

The rock doesn't detect as magical, it's completely real, no magical enhancements have appear to have been placed on it, it simply isn't destroyed. If your PC's are anything like mine, they'll try to figure it out.

Every time the rock touches the sphere, however, a small portion of the sphere's energy is stored in it. Maybe allow a perception/arcana check to notice this, or at least to notice the sphere seems to be getting less powerful. At the same time, the rock starts radiating magic.

Now, I'm not saying you should take away their toy without giving something in return. The rock turns into a magical item that can be used to cast Disintegrate a few times per day, for one. Maybe it can make its owner invulnerable for short periods of time; or perhaps it can bring forth strange 'void elementals' with properties similar to a sphere of annihilation for a short time each day.

If the players really want to get their sphere back, allow powerful magic (anything between Dispel Magic cast at 9th-level and an actual Wish) to separate stone and sphere once more.