PDA

View Full Version : Can you quicken greenflame blade cantrip?

LVOD
2016-04-29, 06:55 AM
Just like the title says: if I've got greenflame blade on my sorlock, can i use sorcery points to quicken it, effectively giving me two attacks?

Gtdead
2016-04-29, 07:02 AM
Yes you can. Both BB and GFB.

You can twin them too, although by errata, there is a complication with GFB since it can have more than one target. I don't think that your DM is going to object to that though.

Markoff Chainey
2016-04-29, 07:37 AM
IMO you can, because the spell has one target only and another person might be effected by the spell under certain conditions (standing close to the target). But I think it is rather clear that this second effected person is not a "target" of the spell.

There are many others in this forum, though, who will tell you otherwise because they think it designates 2 targets.

I see it like eg. darkness - both spells have one target, yet other creatures within range might be effected by the spell after it hits its target. GFB has one target and another creature may be effected. (WoTC were careful to make a distinction in the spell's description between "target" and "second creature")

NewDM
2016-04-29, 08:41 AM
What's really fun is when you quicken BB and then use some kind of fear effect to make them move away from you.

Zman
2016-04-29, 09:03 AM
Twinned Booming Blade +Quickened Booming Blade +Haste Disengage+ Move out of combat Range, watch the damage pile up and do it again. It's the combo my Fighter1/Sorcerer4 is one level away from using.

You can definitely Quicken both Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade bit Twinning Greenflame Blade requires a DM ruling(personally I rule it indeed does have more than one target and is ineligible) while Booming Blade can always be twinned.

Gtdead
2016-04-29, 09:11 AM
What's really fun is when you quicken BB and then use some kind of fear effect to make them move away from you.

A minor correction, you quicken the fear effect, cause if you quicken BB you can't use any spell other than cantrip on the same round ;p

This combo is potent if you have warcaster. Find some way to get command or dissonant whispers.

Booming Blade -> Quicken Fear
AoO Booming Blade

Deal 16d8+10=82

It's not a very efficient use of spellslots/sorcery points, but it's good for some nova.

NewDM
2016-04-29, 09:27 AM
A minor correction, you quicken the fear effect, cause if you quicken BB you can't use any spell other than cantrip on the same round ;p

This combo is potent if you have warcaster. Find some way to get command or dissonant whispers.

Booming Blade -> Quicken Fear
AoO Booming Blade

Deal 16d8+10=82

It's not a very efficient use of spellslots/sorcery points, but it's good for some nova.

You are correct. Its still fun for a gish style character to pull off.