PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt apostle of peace/Emissary of Barachiel

Dysjong
2016-04-29, 08:28 AM
Okay, so i am going to play a gestalt game very soon with two others, hence one is the gm. My friend has decicede that he wanted to play a paladin, which i will help him out with, sinds it is his first time playing gestalt and above lvl 4!

Anyway, i already have one idea for a char in mind but then i got struck by a muse...How about a apostle of peace and emissary of barachiel? The idea is that either you convert the people you meet or at the very least, make sure to end the fight before it happens! In this world, i have been told, that just as a angel and any other good outsiders can fall, soo to can a evil one be redeemed. This is a just idea and not set in stone but more of a fun and creative use of my mind.

Here comes the trouble: Calling/Conversion is a mind effect compulsion, so a sane DM would sooner or later throw that kind of challenge against this type of char, so how to handle that?

Second question: Apostle have a ability called censure the fiend, which is kinda awesome but that can only stun the evil outsider, UNLESS the apostle's hit dice is double and if i have read turn undead correct, at most, the apostle would be granted a +3 to his effective turn lvl...how can that be increased?

All books are open, 2 flaws are allowed, no LA buy off and 3 party is open, aslong as the DM also has a copy and allows whatever it contains. Starting lvl is 8.

My idea for now, would be a cleric 20//Paladin 1, Marshall 1, Monk 1, X Class 1/Emissary 5, Apostle 10, X class 1. Dont mind about the different vows, that is not the question and issue at hand.

I thank you for your time and patience.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-29, 09:08 AM
Apostle of Peace is extremely game-altering. It's not the power that is a problem, but the fact that Vow of Peace has a huge impact on how you resolve fights. Make sure the entire party is on board with the concept. The Emissary of Barachiel Calling isn't just an Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependant][Mind-Affecting] ability, it can also only affect humanoid creatures, which makes it a really niche power. You're better off just preparing charm person a couple of times (or you can add levels in bard, which is always fun). Finally, you are progressing three types of spellcasting (cleric, apostle, emissary), which are really redundant, and you're not getting better at any of them. Apostle levels have nothing good past level 5, either.

In this case, I would try to add more power to your cleric side, and just select Vow of Peace as a regular feat. The Apostle doesn't really add much in the end. The Saint template might, though.

For example, going by the original theme, but slightly more traditionally martial:

Cloistered cleric 4/prestige paladin 2/ordained champion 5//crusader 4/battle dancer 1/cleric 2/monk 2/cleric +1/marshal 1 (level 11)

I don't recall the precise base attack requirement for prestige paladin, but you can always take a level of ordained champion first.

The advantage of this build is that you're adding paladin spells to your cleric list, giving you many more spell slots to cast them from. You get full base attack, full cleric casting, wisdom to AC, charisma to AC and saves, you can use wisdom on melee attack and damage rolls (in place of strength, requires the use of turn/rebuke), and you can still get VoPoverty and VoPeace, just dealing unarmed damage with your monk unarmed strikes.

Feat-wise, I'd grab Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, and Nymph's Kiss as feats at level one (requires human or a flaw), then use VoPoverty bonus feats to grab all the later vows.

If you want the Saint template, which is very good, you'll have to ask your DM whether LA goes down one side of the gestalt, or both.