PDA

View Full Version : The Marvian Trade

Katasi
2016-04-29, 02:53 PM
The warm summer sun beats down on you as Galen Ordo shoots orders. The last few days have been spent loading boxes of foodstuffs, metal impliments, and art pieces aboard the Sapphire Crocodile, the heavy sail barge that will take Galen and you to Heva over the course of the next two weeks, including stops at riverside villages for incidental trade. In addition to your small group and Galen himself, the vessel is crewed by a dozen men, led by Captain Londu Roost, a tall man with the starts of graying hair who joins Galen with a friendly clap on the shoulders as the men raise the gangplank. Londu's first mate Medis Lench, a charismatic and energetic younger man with a bright red brimmed hat dashes around, giving orders to the boat's crew, and helping raise the sails to get underway.

As the Sapphire Crocodile pulls away from the dock you can look out and just barely make out the powerful creatures for which it was named sunning themselves on the far shore of the river. Galen makes his way over to join you. "I hope you all are as good as you claim" He says. Despite his age he is still a fit man, in shape from years on the road and barges such as this one. Around his neck is a small amulet of a pair of silver scales, marking him as a man favoring Loosh above the rest of the Lindu pantheon. "We should be safe for a few days south of Nibu, but once we get away from the capital and into the smaller farming region is when we usually have to watch out for attacks. I don't believe you have all had a chance to be introduced to eachother yet, I've had you going so many different places over the last few days. Why don't you get to know eachother?"

NikolaTesla
2016-04-29, 07:49 PM
Leaning slightly over the deck is a figure that on other days would have been impressive. At least a head taller than everyone else on the ship, Marcus is muscular, well proportioned, and an enormous curved blade lies strapped to his back. Today though, his once proud shoulders seemed to have lost some of their spirit. He turns from the bulwark and there is an ever so slight shade of green to his face. Obviously he was not accustomed to nautical travel.

"Marcus Trothaex, at your service." he says, miraculously keeping his voice level. "I hail from the southern town of Dakoun."

AngryCyc
2016-04-29, 08:20 PM
Kaede

Looking around nervously, the young gal does not quite meet the eye contact of any who look to her. At the mention of being "as good as you claim," Kaede flushes a little. Finding her voice, she starts "K-... Kaede. I came from, well I guess Heva but... no well, more accurately I've been traveling all over the last 2 or so years and... I guess it was a little here and a little there? I uh. Hi."

She finishes flatly, clearly flustered with addressing so many new folks at once, and quickly turns her gaze to study the crocodiles, trying to hide the embarrassment of what she knows to be a lackluster introduction.

Integrity
2016-04-29, 10:03 PM
To say that the woman in the green cloak looked uncomfortable would be an understatement. The hood is pulled tightly around her face almost as if to protect her from unwanted glances that from inclination weather. Underneath the hood, a few wisps of dull brown hair and tanned skin can be seen. Her eyes hurriedly glance to all of the people onboard as well as searching out her next escape route, should it be necessary.

After a few awkward moments of silence she hurriedly steps forward and blurts out in one breath, "I'm Leigh, I hunt, track, and guide and I am good with a bow, knife, or axe.". Leigh steps back, exhales sharply, and pulls her cloak tighter around her. She seems more likely to chance swimming with the crocodiles than speaking in front of the group again.

Katasi
2016-04-30, 08:05 PM
Galen nods as everyone talks, glancing over as Medis gets the last of the rigging in order and the barge gets fully underway "I'm hoping for a smooth trip, the Sapphire Crocodile hasn't seen trouble in a few runs, but something about is one has me on edge and I can't put my finger on it" he says "Last time I felt this worried we lost a year's profits and half the crew to bandits. That's why you're here."

NikolaTesla
2016-04-30, 08:36 PM
Marcus nods sagely, or maybe it was queasily... "Suspicions like that prove true more often than one might think. How do you wish the watches to be organized? No sense in being caught off guard."

AngryCyc
2016-04-30, 08:40 PM
Kaede

Recognizing similarities, Kaede sidles over to the other ranger. "Leigh, was it? I fancy myself a hunter too. Or I did, until my bow broke..." she says with a grimace. Pulling a sharpened stake out, she juggles it around, saying "Guess these will have to do if we run into any trouble in the mean time. Ah well, that's what work is for, isn't it? Gotta earn the dough to stay properly prepared for whatever is out there. I can't wait to have my own hand-carved bow back in my hands. Nothing responds to your touch quite like something you carve yourself, you know?"

One-on-one, and in her element talking about things she knows and loves, Kaede comes off quite warmly. Not at all as the cringeworthy greeting she issued minutes before.

Integrity
2016-04-30, 09:54 PM
Leigh swallows hard, almost painfully, before addressing Kaede. At least talking to one person with whom she shares mutual interest shouldn't be as hard as speaking to the group.

"I... I agree. The strum of the bow string as it leaves my fingers is... calming."

Leigh frowns when Kaede mentions the lack of weapons. "I have an axe and a kukri if you would like to borrow one. I... prefer the kukri myself."

Edit: stupid auto correct.

AngryCyc
2016-05-01, 06:30 AM
Kaede

"Well, hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, I'll know who to look out for!" Kaede says, smiling warmly at the gesture. She walks around keeping an eye on things, mostly just absorbing the surroundings and getting a feel for what the life is like around here.

Katasi
2016-05-02, 05:45 PM
"Each of you should take a quarter of the night" Galen says in response to Marcus's question. "And then everyone can be awake to help when we port during the days

Three days and night pass quietly as the Sapphire Crocodile makes steady progress. On the fourth day it docks at Danu, a medium sized village on the river. Galen steps off and beckons for the group to follow him. He sets off toward a small hall in the center of town, a mile and a half from the docks, where he is greeted by a gray haired man "Hebros here has a special shipment of jewelled golden vases, and I want you to make sure it makes it back to the boat" Galen states.

AngryCyc
2016-05-02, 07:06 PM
Kaede

Using her watch productively, Kaede spends her portion of the night carving arrows for the bow she hopes to craft soon. She spends most her shift whittling away and adding fletching, keeping her ears focused on the surroundings.

Taking 10 each night allows her to craft 60 arrows, 1 check each night, for her non-existent bow.

"Hebros was it?" Kaede asks. "This doesn't sound all that hard... is there more to it? How far away are these vases, and how many are we talking?" She tries to gauge the situation as best as she can, making sure she and her new team are well-prepared for what awaits.

Knowledge(Geography) to possibly know about the surrounding area [roll0]
And likewise knowledge(nature) for the plant and wildlife [roll1]

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-02, 08:19 PM
I believe it's my turn on the watch. l A tall, young man with a heavy blade on his hip approaches, perhaps closer than is appropriate for a stranger. I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to introduce myself earlier, I am Jaksyn Dellio, son of Arrind Dellio. He gives a slight bow, and takes note of your arrows. Then, with a disarming smile, That's quite an arsenal you're crafting. Tell me, why would one so... delicate need to be so well armed?

Integrity
2016-05-02, 09:29 PM
Leigh Tartt

Leigh pulls her hooded cloak up around her face, checks her equipment, then follows behind the rest of the group. She remains silent but keeps her eyes open for any signs of trouble and will call out if it is needed.

Perception: [roll0]

NikolaTesla
2016-05-02, 10:27 PM
"Well, that explains why he's willing to pay us so much." Marcus mutters to Jaksyn.

He give Hebros a quick once-over, but opts not to speak in favor of hearing the answer to Kaede's question.

Katasi
2016-05-02, 11:10 PM
"It shouldn't be hard at all" Galen says "Just take the cases of vases back to the boat" Hebros coughs slightly "Danu isn't such a bad town, but 2 cases of 20 of my vases each is enough to attract what criminals we do have, and the route to the docks is the most vulnerable point. He says, indicating the bars on his window and heavy iron door. "You're a precaution" Galen states I don't expect much trouble"

You know that Danu is surrounded by fairly nondescript farmland, specializing in corn and beets. The main animals kept are goats and although large cats and herbivores arefound in the area occassionally, most of the threats in the area as far as animals go come from insects, serpents, and the river, and hunting in the area is likely poor

You notice several nervous looking people collecting aongst the buildings about a quarter mile down the street

Integrity
2016-05-03, 03:22 AM
Leigh raises her voice just above a whisper... which is louder than anyone here has heard her speak. "There are several very nervous people collecting amongst the buildings about a quarter mile down the street. I think we should find an alternate route. It is possibly an ambush."

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-03, 05:13 AM
Jaksyn looks in the indicated direction and checkles. You think that rabble intends an ambush? Let them try! He rests a hand on the hooked pommel of his sword. If any should cross me, they will not live long enough to regret it.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-03, 09:59 AM
Marcus looks back at the indicated part of town curiously, then back at Leigh's sincere face. If we weren't so heavily armed someone might try something, but personally I doubt they'd be stupid enough chance a fight in the middle of town in broad daylight. He turns back to Hebros. You leave it to us, we'll get these vases to the Sapphire Crocodile.

AngryCyc
2016-05-03, 11:44 AM
Kaede

"You're trusting to people not being foolish or brash?" Kaede says gently. "Why take the risk? Maybe we should slip around their attention entirely? No real reason to poke a sleeping bear, you know, not when we can just avoid it."

Integrity
2016-05-03, 04:00 PM
Leigh tries to hide her anger. She remembers exactly why she hates voicing her opinion. "Men, always thinking with their swords, never when their brains". She rubs her face and groans before continuing. "If we go this way, someone , either them or us will be hurt... or worse."

"Please don't ignore logic just because it comes from a woman."

Katasi
2016-05-03, 05:29 PM
Galen watches his guards arguing for a few minutes, glancing at the figures down the street. The figures seem to have noticed the attention and turn. leaving sight. "I think they've left, let's head back now. He waves for Hebros's men to follow with the crates, motioning for the party to take up positions surrounding them, Marcus and Jacksyn to the rear, on the left and right respectively, and Leigh in Kaede in the front. "We should move quickly"

As the party walks down the street, about half a mile back you notice a group of about 5 nervous looking cloaked men, trying hard to stay in the shadows. It would seem as though Marcus, Leigh, and Galen are oblivious to them. At current speed you'll be where they can easily rush you in about a minute.

You notice light glinting of metal objects held by a couple of the men, and the rest seem to be holding large pieces of wood

The trip goes smoothly, half a mile going by quickly and the going seems easy and clear

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-03, 05:39 PM
I think we're being followed...

AngryCyc
2016-05-03, 06:33 PM
Kaede

"I was distinctly getting that feeling too... Looks like about 5 or so could easily rush us here in around a minute. Can we cut off a longer way around, or pick up the speed or anything? If they're looking to rob us, we might use this time looking for a more defensible location, try to scare them into a clearer line of reasoning?" Kaede says, starting to draw out sharpened wooden stakes and place them in her belt where they can be easily grabbed.

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-03, 07:00 PM
Do they seem a bit... obvious to you? They have no significant advantage in numbers, and they are doing a poor job of remaining hidden. Maybe they are a diversion. Everyone keep your wits about you. Leigh, fit an arrow to your bowstring. Marcus, have your weapon ready to receive a charge. And Kaede, take this; it might serve you better than a stake. He offers his dagger.

Katasi
2016-05-03, 07:04 PM
One look at the crate arriers tells that they can't speed up under the weight, but there is an intersection about 30 feet ahead of the group where they could turn left or right and try to find another way.

Integrity
2016-05-03, 07:24 PM
Leigh prepares her bow. "We should get in a defensive position.". She looks for a tree or something that will let her fire arrows while staying out of combat.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-03, 08:48 PM
Marcus gives an expression like he'd been slapped, but doesn't seem to take offense at Leigh.

"Way ahead of you Jaksyn". replies Marcus, loosing his weapon and resting it nonchalantly on his shoulders.

Marcus uses Detect Evil (as the spell, not target specific) to do a quick scan of the intersection.

AngryCyc
2016-05-03, 09:07 PM
Kaede takes the dagger in one hand, still keeping the stakes ready in the other, and follows the others' lead in preparing to defend the cargo.

"Remember to at least give them the opportunity to back down if it does come down to a fight. No sense in killing over base desires..."

Katasi
2016-05-06, 02:46 AM
As the party gets closer the five figures step from the shadows quickly, revealing themselves to be xovered head to town in brown clothing, despite the heat, and wearing scarves over their faces to hide their identities. The shotest one steps forward, weilding a heavy butcher's cleaver "This doesn't need tp turn ugly! We don't want to harm you, just put down one of the cases, forget you ever saw it, and you can go on about your business without injury." The perspn says in a clearly faked low voice.

None of the figures detect as evil to you

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-06, 07:30 AM
Jaksyn steps to the front of the group with an exaggerated swagger. He stands with his buckler held at the ready and draws his sword with a fluorish. I'll giveyou all one chance to turn around, and go home. I suggest you take it, or it'll take the undertaker a week to figure out which parts go with which for burial.

Bluff check, [roll0]

AngryCyc
2016-05-06, 09:42 AM
Kaede

Trying to keep her breath steady, Kaede represses a cringe and sigh. She whispers loudly to Jaksyn, "Threatening is not the way to disarm anyone..."

Stepping up a bit and trying to steel herself, she says louder to the crowd "Folks, you have done nothing wrong. Yet. No crime has been committed and everyone can still go about there way. But here are some possibilities for what might happen: Violence might happen. Someone might get hurt. Someone might break a limb, lose a leg, gouge an eye. Nobody wants any of these things. Very few people would trade these things for a small sum of money. Consider the best case scenario here, being that you walk away here with minimal injuries and some money you didn't have before.

What then? A bonus in funds now, for a loss later? Where would you spend your wealth when other caravans stop doing business here for fear of threat? Where will you buy or sell when no suppliers travel to this region? How will your friends, your family, their acquaintances... how will they prosper when the economy slowly dies off as fear of violence permeates?

No harm has happened. Yet. And no harm may still happen, if everyone walks away from this. But if harm does arrive, I guarantee it will not work out without injury to you, maybe not physical right now, but certainly later as you, your friends, your family, and your town suffer from less and less commerce coming into this area as the trend for highway robbery increases.

Tell me earnestly, is this what you want?"

Kaede finishes with a glare at Jaksyn, wishing he had been the one to say what she did much more eloquently than she could have. The desire to jump to violence first was, in her eyes, extremely distasteful.

Bad diplomacy roll as she's very not good at it, but felt the need to try to defuse the tensions:

[roll0]

NikolaTesla
2016-05-06, 11:07 AM
Marcus surveyed the five men and quickly recognized the situation from his numerous encounters with bandits. 5 clearly uncomfortable men, threatening to attack a shipment guarded by a similar number of people? Obviously the only reason they would chance an attack like this was they had a boss that scared them more than Marcus and his allies did. There was a decent chance they would simply run off if the caravan didn't cave to their demands.

He says under his breath to Kaede. "They're afraid Kaede, and are currently incapable of reason. Any appeals to them must be aimed at something more primal.

More loudly, he calls to the bandits. "The caravan will proceed! Feel free to lose a few limbs as we go by! This blade right here" and he flourishes his sword, has already claimed upwards of 10 bandits like you! He shouts an order to the pullers to proceed.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Katasi
2016-05-06, 02:07 PM
The leader and the other bandits looks worriedly at Marcus's blade and take a step back worriedly. The leader looks at Keade and, forgetting to mask their voice says in a much hire voice with a bit of a crack of nervousness. "It's hardly a small sum, that's a fortune you carry there, and we wouldn't have to make a sacrifice on it!" They look at the group "But what do you care if people are starving from paying the 40%! We need that gold you carry" The bandits still stand in front of your path, looking around nervously, but Marcus's threat seems to have cooled them off. They seem completely unimpressed by Jaksyn's threat and are pointedly ignoring him. "Just leave a couple and say you lost them" The leader says and Galen shakes his head "No way" He says "That shipment is important to our profits, and receiving goods without reporting it for sacrifice is heresy and treason!"

Integrity
2016-05-06, 05:15 PM
Leigh stands back and keeps her bow at the ready. She whispers to the others, "perhaps we could give them a few coins to move along without a fight?"

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-06, 06:25 PM
Jaksyn appears to think for a moment, considering the situation. With a wry smile he sheathes his blade, and reaches for his purse. I commend you for your bravery. Lesser men would have turned and run. We could use men of such valor on this endeavor. Join us, and I will personally see that you are rewarded handsomely. Here is a down payment for your services. With that he throws 10 gold pieces on the ground before the bandits.

Diplomacy check: [roll0] + whatever bonus the bribe might gain.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-06, 08:03 PM
Marcus cringes inwardly at the bandit's words. These guys had a scary boss alright: their families' starvation. He cringes again as Jaksyn throws the gold. Purposeful rebellion against tyranny is one thing, but you can't go rewarding lawlessness! Even so, he holds his tongue. On the off chance that throwing gold at them did work, he'd have to lecture Jaksyn and Leigh later about the dangers of encouraging extortion...

Katasi
2016-05-08, 04:30 PM
The leader picks up the gold coins and turns them over in their hands as Galen turns red "Under no circumstances will I employee thieves and traitors" He says. The leader snorts "You expected a different response from a follower of the God of Commerce? We will let you go, but know this, Lindu is starving and uprising is coming. Do you really want to be guarding a merchant?" The group disappears into an alley. The rest of the trip back is uneventful but Galen seems mildly irritated with the group.

You all get 25 XP for diffusing the situation

AngryCyc
2016-05-08, 05:38 PM
Kaede

Kaede remains pensive on the trip. She mulls over the situation that had occurred, unsure how to better have handled it. On the one hand, she thinks to herself, she wishes reasoned discourse would be able to prevent violence among her fellow humans. On the other, she knows she is not herself that skilled at either the reasoning or the discoursing part of that equation. She knows it is right to help those in need, but also wrong to help those in need by harming others who are innocent.

This debate in her mind plays out only in her thoughts, as she keeps a dour face and keeps watch for any other encounters along the way.

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-08, 05:48 PM
Jaksyn approaches Galen with a somber look upon his face. I wish to apologize for my actions earlier. You are the master of this caravan, not I. I had no authority to offer them employment. But you should know the offer was not sincere.I fully expected them to take the easy money and run. If they had wanted to join us, it would have been an easy thing to feign acceptance, and then turn them over to the authorities on the charge of banditry. Still, I overstepped my bounds, and for that, I am sorry.

Integrity
2016-05-09, 12:34 AM
Regardless of what the others may think, Leigh is happy their was no violence.

Katasi
2016-05-09, 03:22 PM
Galen sighs and nods "I suppose it was a rash idea in the heat of potential battle" he finally says at least. After the crates are loaded and just before the gangplank is raised a woman with flowing blonde tresses comes toward the barge. She offers to pay 10 gold for passage to Havaku, two day's travel down the river and the barge's next stop. She carries with her only a leather haversack and wears a simple blue dress. Galen seems taken aback but agrees to allow her on board for the price. He quickly settles her into a semiprivate room set up with sheets of canvas. The woman introduces herself as Lena Ment, a fellow merchant fallen on hard times and hoping to reconnect with an old business partner in Havaku.

After Lena is settled in the Sapphire Crocodile begins it's travels downriver again. Lena can be seen about on the boat, talking casually with crew members. The weather is fair and sunny, a brisk breeze blowing, propelling the barge rapidly along it's course. Every so often large crocodiles appear, and once a crew member yells out as he spots the coils of a massive python in the water, but nothing appears that could threaten the boat as the day continues. Eventually Lena finds her way to wear members of your party are working.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-10, 01:05 AM
The run in with the bandits gives cause for some reflection and prayer on Marcus's part, though being a follower of the sword and shield in Lindu makes worship on the confined boat somewhat of a chore. Avoiding having his holy symbol being spotted restricts him somewhat. Thus he's taken to reading his holy text at the base of the ship's prow, slightly removed from the main bustle the crew but still out in the open. It is here that Lena finds him on a break.

He closes his book and turns it to the left as he puts it away, thus only permitting her to see the book's plain back cover. Miss Ment? May I help you?

Katasi
2016-05-10, 03:39 PM
"Just getting to know everyone. I like to know my travelling companions, it's a habit I picked up over time" She says, twirling long fingers through her hair. She smiles sweetly at him. "This seems like an odd place to be. Shouldn't you be carousing with the rest of the crew? Do you often just sit off on your own?"

As she speaks you sense she is hiding something

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-10, 06:19 PM
His awkward apology to Galen concluded, Jaksyn finds a secluded spot toward the stern to practice his own form of meditation. He casts his gear to the side, unbuckles his armor, strips to the waist, and removes his boots. He draws his sword, closes his eyes, and takes a deep breath. He feels the wood of the deck beneath his bare feet. He hears the creaking of the barge and the water lapping against the hull. A thousand mingled odors come into his nostrils. Slowly, he raises his blade vertically before his face. His eyes open. In a flash, he swings his sword through a sweeping arc, pivoting on the ball of his foot, until his blade is held horizontally over his head. He holds this pose for only a moment, then launches into another flurry of motion. He continues his deadly dance, moving with a strange combination of ease and intensity, until his entire body is coated with a sheen of sweat. When he finally sheathes his weapon, his breathing is ragged, and his face is red with exertion.

Integrity
2016-05-10, 07:25 PM
Leigh tries to stay away from everyone, except maybe Kaede.

AngryCyc
2016-05-10, 07:52 PM
Kaede sees Leigh approach, both keeping a safe distance from the new comer. She busies herself with a large piece of wood that she's slowly shaving down to make a bow out of. As she does though, she keeps her ears open on things happening around. Occasionally she looks to Leigh, giving her a slight nod, and then resuming work.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-10, 11:29 PM
"Just getting to know everyone. I like to know my travelling companions, it's a habit I picked up over time" She says, twirling long fingers through her hair. She smiles sweetly at him. "This seems like an odd place to be. Shouldn't you be carousing with the rest of the crew? Do you often just sit off on your own?"

"I'm afraid I'm not much of a sailor" Marcus says ruefully. "I just help with some of the heavy lifting like adjusting the sail. It does give me some time for reflection though. There's a lot of people struggling right now and I get to see it first hand. People like yourself deserve better.

Marcus makes a mental note that Lena is hiding something, but he has things to hide too. Should I make a sense motive check?

Katasi
2016-05-11, 02:21 PM
Lena beams Marcus with a bright smile "It's so kind of you to say that, you're right, our country is full of hardship and it is truly a terrible thing." She says, frowning as she speaks the last sentence "But what can we possibly do about it?" She looks Marcus over in an appraising manner. "You do seem very fit. Are you part of this caravan's guards as well?"

Go ahead with the sense motive check if Marcus wants to actively figure out what she's hiding

As Jacksyn ends his workout/performance he hears a loud clapping behind him and Medis Lench steps into his line of sight. "Bravo, an amazing performance!" Medis says, tipping his signature hat toward Jacksyn "Tell me, where did you learn to move so wonderfully?"

As the two rangers sit avoiding everyone they can hear the sailors singing as they work.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-11, 04:23 PM
"Normally I work with land based caravans, but I like to move around a bit and getting paid for passage on a ship seemed like a pretty good bargain. Seemed, until the first few seasick days of the voyage...

So that he can get away with not paying the tribute, since he doesn't worship the Pentatheon. Being officially dead helps with that too.

As for what we can do about it, well, my home town no longer exists at least partially because they tried something and weren't well enough prepared to see it through to the end. As far as I can see the best thing to do is eliminate banditry and other crimes so that people can keep as much of their money as possible and not starve when its time to pay the tribute.

Maybe she's a rebel on the run? [roll0]

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-11, 04:48 PM
Jaksyn smiles as he buttons his shirt. It was not meant to be a performance. It's an excercise, intended to clear the mind and strengthen the body. He holds up his sword, still in its scabbard. To be effective in combat, your blade must feel like an extension of your body. Moving it should be as effortless as moving your own limbs. The only way to achieve that is to practice, daily. He sits by his pile of gear, and begins pulling on his boots. As for where I learned; I was a student of the great Varlan Kluhn.My father spared no expense in my education, and belived that fencing was an essential part of any gentlman's repertoire.

Katasi
2016-05-12, 02:43 PM
"Of course" Lena says "I have worked both caravans, there's money to be made in all of it. Sometimes one is unlucky though." She frowns when she hears him talk about his home town and his eagerness to eliminate crime "But what if the people who are committing the banditry need the money they steal more than those they steal it from?" She asks

Marcus has a distinct hunch that he has heard Lena's voice before, recently and that she's extremely nervous.

"Well I don't know much about weapons, but your skill impresses me. I glad there is someone of your...expertise protecting us." Medis says, his eyes roaming over Jacksyn. "Perhaps when we are both off duty we could share a bottle of the fine wine I have stowed in my trunk" He grins and winks at him, fingers playing with the brim of his hat.

As you sit quietly you can overhear Medis talking to Jacksyn, as he isn't being very quiet.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-12, 07:48 PM
The corners of Marcus's mouth twitch slightly. THAT's an argument he's heard before, invariably from a surrendered bandit begging not to be turned over to the authorities. It would appear that one of his companions' gold has found its way back on board.

"Taking from another person only worsens the situation. For every one fed by a thief's hand two more must certainly suffer." that was a direct quote from Sword and Shield scripture."Let's see what motives she really has" he thought to himself. "A petty thief on the run? Or a wayward disciple potentially with friends in need of uniting?" Oh, Marcus was a bit more than the disillusioned caravan guard he normally made himself out to be...

"Besides, Lady Lena, I hear treason is a punishable crime around these parts."

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-12, 08:00 PM
I must admit, it's a tempting offer. I haven't had a chance for truly intelligent discourse since we set out. The crew seem somewhat loutish. Galen is far too consumed with his business. Our two lovely huntresses tend to keep to themselves, and Marcus seems to have taken to the newcomer. He sits for a moment, staring at the deck and chewing his lip thoughtfully. What vintage is it? Find me when you're free. With a devious smile, Jaksyn gathers his things and departs.

Fyi, Jaksyn will be bringing his flask along, and absinthe is pretty potent. You might want to figure out the save for not passing out drunk.

AngryCyc
2016-05-13, 07:42 AM
Kaede

Kaede rolls her eyes slightly, overhearing some of the surrounding conversation. She says quietly to Leigh "You'd think we joined a comfort cruise instead of taking on a job, I swear. I'm noticing a real lack of propriety around here, you know?" Almost to emphasize the point, Kaede puts away her crafting work and pays closer attention to the surroundings. She starts making a slow yet methodical patrol around the perimeter of the boat, keeping her eye open for anything out of the ordinary. "Care to help me keep watch? It would be a fine time for something or someone to attack us while a quarter of our team decides to get drunk."

Katasi
2016-05-13, 02:13 PM
Lena's lips quirk up "A nice saying, but what good does it do for those in need with no other way?" she asks, then smirks at him knowingly "And I have heard that as well, everyone has, but then, so are a great many things in our age. She stands up, brushing herself off nervously. "Still, I do sympathized with those so downtrodden, even if I'd hate to be robbed myself"

"A nice 415 red." Medis says with a smile "A very nice vintage" Medis departs to go back to his work. He comes to find Jacksyn a couple hours later, carrying a green glass bottle and two mugs. He pours up the wine and plops himself down beside Jacksyn. He takes a deep sip of his wine and offers the other mug to Jacksyn.

An hour into making rounds of the boat, the two rangers come across something unusual. Slithering out from between two wooden boxes sitting on deck comes a 6 foot long snake, light brown, with dark green diamonds down it's back.

Knowledge:Nature checks to ID the snake.

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-13, 03:32 PM
Jaksyn holds up a shiny, engraved flask.I brought something a bit stronger, should the mood strike us. But the red will do... for now. He takes the offered mug, and sips it slowly. I trust you heard about the trouble we had on the road. I swear, I will never understand those sorts. What would make a group of peasants with little more than rusty knives think they would stand a chance against swordsmen and archers? Jaksyn leans back, taking another small sip of wine. Of course, the better question might be how, rather than why. How did they know the value of those urns? I'm sure the average peasant would see them as nothing more than shiny pottery. And the way they intercepted us, it was like they knew what route we would take. Very curious...

NikolaTesla
2016-05-13, 03:40 PM
Sorry, the part stating that it was Sword and Shield scripture was not supposed to be in Marcus's speech color.

Satisfied, Marcus turns his whole body to face her. "The good it does, he hesitates for half a second, knowing that we was crossing a line that could get him in trouble if the woman proved untrustworthy, is that unity, with a lot of patience, makes conquest possible. After all, Lindu is starving and uprising is coming."

Integrity
2016-05-13, 08:11 PM
Leigh has two thoughts about the snake, how venomous is it, and how valuable is it.

Knowledge: Nature [roll0]

Integrity
2016-05-16, 10:01 PM
Leigh appears frozen in time as she and the snake stare at each other for seems like an eternity, though in reality it has only been a matter of seconds.

Katasi
2016-05-17, 12:36 PM
"Hebros is a blowhard and a braggart" Medis says, taking another drink of wine before accepting a swig of the absinthe "Everyone in his village knows how valuable his works are, and when they ship. For being so security minded of his own place he doesn't pay much consideration for once it's out of his hands.

"It most surely is" Lena says, shaking slightly from nervousness, but her lips turn up in a smile "Not much unity and patience can do, everyone has known for generations the Jungu revolution could only be the start. Until then, people must survive. Hopefully that will go better for me once I am fully back in business"

Both rangers easily identify the snake as a Koola Python. The snake is considered fairly harmless, though it's strong bites can lead to long healing times. It likely wandered onto the barge looking for rats to consume. The snake's skin is considered highly decorative and good quality leather, so most people who find one often kill it for the skin and meat, but the snake could also be released back to the wild quite simply by dropping it quietly over the side of the boat

Integrity
2016-05-17, 01:15 PM
"What do you think Kaede, just ease it back overboard?"

AngryCyc
2016-05-17, 01:34 PM
"Yeah that seems best. Can you get it's attention, try to lure it calmly?" Kaede says, moving around in position to help Leigh ease the animal off.

No Wild Empathy here, but I assume I can still Aid Another to it possibly?

[roll0]

Integrity
2016-05-17, 02:23 PM
"I'll try, but uh... I'm not really good with animals. Hey fella, ah... let me... uh... put you off the boat here."

Wild Empathy: [roll0]

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-17, 06:25 PM
Jaksyn breathes a slight sigh of relief. His fear that the ambush may have been orchestrated by someone aboard the Sapphire Crocodile appears unfounded. Still, it might be wise to learn if there are any malcontents aboard who might make the journey more difficult. Well perhaps today's events will cause him to show more discretion. The next time the rabble decides to rob him, he may not have armed guards to hide behind. But on to more pleasant topics, how long have you served on the Crocodile? Do you like it here?

NikolaTesla
2016-05-17, 06:31 PM
<posting from mobile>

"Don't confuse avoiding friendly fire for pacifism. I'd give it 20 years tops before Lindu declares war on Jungu, probably a lot sooner. One country will fall, and I don't believe armies will decide which it will be. It will be the citizens of Lindu that make that choice. No country can fight with empty coffers and a populace that won't supply food.

He stands up. "In any case, there's not much to do until we arrive, so I think I'll go see where my companions got off to. Usually at least one of them is out and about up here..."

Katasi
2016-05-18, 11:07 AM
The python has quite a large bulge in it's belly, clearly having just eaten a rat, and is calm and lethargic. Although it does begin to wriggle in panic when picked up, it doesn't make any particular effort to attack. The rest of the day on patrol goes quietly. In the evening Galen finds the pair and commends them on their alertness.

You each get 50 XP for dealing with the python

"Oh, I've been with the Crocodile for about 5 years now." Medis says "Worked a half dozen trips with Galen's caravan, and to many to count overall. Tends to be fairly peaceful here" he says with a grin "But surely you can't be worried. Nothing to worry about but drinking and making ourselves comfortable for the evening" Medis seems to be getting quite drunk, his voice slurring. A large form stands nearby, easily recognizable as Marcus.

20 XP for good roleplaying

Lena nods and goes off and finds a comfortable spot to sit alone and watch the water, though members of the crew also stop and talk to her. Galen finds Marcus and has him help check cargo for a few hours. When he finally gets off he comes across Jacksyn and Medis drinking.

20 XP for good roleplaying.

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-18, 02:46 PM
Jaksyn discreetly motions Marcus to keep his distance, afraid that Medis might clam up with the big man nearby. Five years, eh? I bet this old boat has no secrets from you. Jaksyn leans in close, and whispers, I bet you've learned more than a few though.

Diplomacy check: [roll0]

AngryCyc
2016-05-18, 03:40 PM
Kaede

Kaede graciously accepts the praise, making sure Leigh gets her share of the credit as well. As it starts to get dark, Kaede tries to find Marcus and Jacksyn to see what they've been up to. She let's her eyes and her mind relax as she does, trusting that others have taken up the watch for her. Though physically not that demanding, when patrolling and watching for signs of danger, Kaede tends to make herself mentally stressed, worrying about all the different things that could happen that she has to look out for. Walking the ship now, she lets go of those feelings and just lets her mind drift blankly as she nods to crew members she passes.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-19, 10:12 AM
Marcus folds his arms, perhaps disapprovingly of the liquor or maybe just to lean against the timbers of the ship. "I wonder how far he'll get in telling his story before he keels over drunk... he mumbles to himself.

Integrity
2016-05-19, 11:55 PM
Leigh is rather uncomfortable with the praise, but smiles nonetheless and nods. She then mentions to Kaede, "I'm glad he seemed rather docile and content. Otherwise that would have been awkward trying to get him over the side."

Katasi
2016-05-23, 10:48 AM
As Kaede and Leigh go to find Marcus and Jacksyn, everyone can easily overhear as Medis drunkenly replies. "Oh, there's certainly some secrets. Someone here is a smuggler. Nobody is sure here, but every once in awhile we find contraband hidden on the ship." he says "And the cook has been known to spit in the food of people who he dislikes." he adds, clearly trying to impress Jacksyn with his knowledge

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-23, 03:16 PM
Jaksyn laughs loudly. Remind me to stay on the cook's good side then. He leans back in his chair, taking another small sip of wine. He is beginning to feel a little light headed from drinking, but thankfully his slow pace allowed him to outlast Medis. He eyes his companions smugly. It appears that while they were twiddling their thumbs, he was uncovering a mystery. It appears we have some company. Come friends, join us for a drink. Having extracted some useful information from Medis, Jaksyn is content to put an end to this inquiry for now. He also fears that if he continues drinking much longer, he might wake up in a rather unsavory place...

NikolaTesla
2016-05-24, 02:14 AM
"Oh don't mind me, I'm afraid liquor hasn't set right with me since my father died. This was true, but not because he couldn't stomach it, but because his father's position of influence had permitted Marcus to become accustomed to somewhat finer drinks than ordinary folk could normally afford. Now days he was a fair bit poorer and couldn't afford it either.

He seats himself on a barrel to the side. "You know, there was rumor floating about the Linduvian army not so long ago about cooks and spitting." He leans back, kicking up one leg over the other. "Story goes that one of the cooks was a tad unhappy about his conscription into the military, and would always spit into the officers' food. He gives a small chuckle. Then it turned out that he had fairy blood in him and that half of the general's most brilliant decisions had come right after meal time. Old chap had been trying to spite the army and through some bizarre act of the gods wound up inspiring their leader instead. Go figure....

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-26, 09:02 AM
A fine tale. Too bad that it's utter nonsense. Everyone knows fairy spit makes you shrink. My great-uncle used to tell a story about a maid who fell in love with a fairy. He kissed her, and just like that, she shrunk down so small that he carried her off and they were never seen again.

Integrity
2016-05-26, 11:17 PM
Leigh like to drink, just not around strangers. She comes with an excuse of keeping watch to avoid a drink. Leigh heads back out and tries to get a good vantage point to keep watch.

NikolaTesla
2016-05-26, 11:32 PM
"Oh come now, I've heard that story too. Fathers tell it to their promiscuous daughters to scare them out of kissing strange men!" His expression suddenly turns bemused and he chortles a little. "Given that the spit actually has to be swallowed, it does give a wry meaning to the expression 'drinking from one's lips' though".

After Leigh leaves Marcus looks to Kaede. "You don't suppose I offended her, do you?"

AngryCyc
2016-05-27, 06:20 PM
Kaede half shrugs, half shakes her head. She takes the time to find a cozy(ish) place to sit down for a while and rest her feet. She only pays half attention to the conversation being had.

Lycanthrope13
2016-05-28, 10:05 AM
Jaksyn gives a crooked smirk and chuckles.As humurous as that may be, a glib tongue does not add truth to your story. My great-uncle claimed to have seen it with his own eyes, and he was not a man given to exaggeration. Perhaps a third party could settle this. What do you think Medis? Which tale has the greater ring of truth?

Katasi
2016-06-01, 01:16 PM
Medis seems to have not have heard the question, his head slump over as he leans heavily against a nearby crate, snoring loudly, the drink having seemed to have gotten to him.

Lycanthrope13
2016-06-01, 04:46 PM
Well, it appears we'll have to resolve this dispute another time. Jaksyn walks over to Medis, and attempts to lift him, but his unconcious form is dead weight. Would somebody give me a hand helping our esteemed first mate back to his quarters? I'm sure I could manage, but he's much heavier than he looks.

I'm really hoping someone with a better Search skill comes along to help snoop around his cabin.

Katasi
2016-06-07, 03:13 PM
Medis's quarters are neatly organized but his gear is flamboyantly decorated. He has a small journal on the table beside the bed and most everything else is kept in a trunk at the end of the bed. Besides the bed, trunk, and table the room only has a thin sliver of standing room.

Lycanthrope13
2016-06-07, 07:15 PM
Jaksyn looks around at his companions and the few crew on the deck at this hour. With none stepping forward to help, he resigns himself to the fact that he will have to carry Medis himself. His typical swagger, melts away as he shoulders his burden and makes his way, staggering from the combination of weight, waves, and drink across the deck.

He arrives at Medis' cabin, fumbles with his keys, searching for the one to unlock the door, and deposits the unconscious man roughly upon his bed. Relieved of his burden, he takes a moment to stretch his back and survey his surroundings. He is immediately struck by the size of the room. The Sapphire Crocodile is not exactly a large vessel, but one would think that his status would warrant a larger cabin.

Jaksyn scans the walls, floor, and ceiling. His eyes fall on the journal beside the bed. He checks that Medis is still sleeping, and begins to leaf through pages, scanning for anything interesting. He briefly considers using Medis' keys to open his footlocker, but ultimately writes it off as too risky.

Taking 20 on the search

NikolaTesla
2016-06-07, 07:30 PM
Marcus holds the drunken mans legs to assist, but looks disapprovingly at Jackson's searching. "I don't think Medis will thank you for rifling through his stuff."

Lycanthrope13
2016-06-09, 07:57 PM
I'm not going to steal anything. He said something about smugglers before he passed out. He might not even remember our conversation when he wakes up, so I'm hoping he wrote something that might be helpful. Jaksyn pauses, and turns to address Marcus directly. Tell me, does anything seem strange about this room to you? I mean, given his rank on the Crocodile, doesn't it seem a bit... small? Could one of these walls be false? Maybe he knows more about the smuggling than he lets on. It would explain how he affords such extravagant things.

NikolaTesla
2016-06-09, 08:53 PM
Marcus shrugs. "I suppose its worth a look".

Perception: [roll0]