PDA

View Full Version : Generic to Exotic

AnimeTheCat
2016-04-29, 05:27 PM
Hi all, I'm trying to get in to homebrewing a little and I wanted to gather everyone's RAW/RAI thoughts and the like before I proceed with my idea. My idea is to use the generic classes presented in Unearthed Arcana (pg76) to essentially "construct" a homebrew class based off the class abilities they have presented alongside the prerequisites. Instead of having PCs build a class as they go (as the classes seem to intend for you to do with the "bonus feat" structure they have. What is everyone's thoughts?

Pyromancer999
2016-04-29, 07:30 PM
Would you mind clarifying your aim a bit? From what I can tell, you seem to want to use the generic abilities like those from the Generic Classes, but not have them be decided as you go along in bonus feat style, which is kind of the point of said classes, so I'm not entirely sure what you're going for.

However, a good model may/may not be Baron Corm's Generic Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?251994-3-5-Generic-Class-2-0), which are somewhat similar, but have a different progression/way of managing such prerequisites.

AnimeTheCat
2016-04-29, 08:05 PM
Sure, I would love to clarify. Clarification is always a good thing.

I'm working on building a low power/potentially low magic (depending on how the PCs pick feats and what not) campaign. I am scaling the magics available from NPCs based on how maically inclined or potent the PCs are. The best way I could come up with a suite of classes that fit this bill was to homebrew. I don't want to throw out any of the classes that the other books have, I was just wanting to give different ideas. As opposed to just letting the players build their own expert, warrior, or spellcaster I wanted to give them (probably 5 different options of each) various "classes" to choose from. We're all very low-key about this game and we're not playing 5e because of a multitude of reasons.

I want to present 15 classes built from each of the three generic classes and I'm just wondering if these are a good basis to go off of to build 15 balanced classes so that, ya know, we don't get DMM cheesed by someone trying to be cheeky. I also just want to give homebrew a try and this was a prime opportunity.

Hope that helps at all and if it didn't please let me know what you would like for me to elaborate on.

Edit: AAAAAAND I think that link may be pretty much perfect at first glance... That's pretty comprehensive. THANK YOU!

Pyromancer999
2016-04-29, 08:40 PM
Edit: AAAAAAND I think that link may be pretty much perfect at first glance... That's pretty comprehensive. THANK YOU!

Good to know. If you also want to take a look at a class that is put together through combining three different tracks for a custom class, here's a link to JeminiZero's glorious Trissociate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?234951-Trissociate-3-5-Base-Class-%28PEACH%29)(Warning: Lot of text. Like a whole lot).