PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How to stop a creature from shapeshifting?

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-29, 08:28 PM
Hey, all!

I was wondering if anybody knows of any good ways to stop somebody from changing forms? Spells, items, whatever. I'll also accept things that force a creature to revert to their natural form.

D&D 3.5 official sources preferred, but not required.

Bonus points for stuff that even works on druids in wild shape! :smallwink:

AlanBruce
2016-04-29, 09:08 PM
A few counters spring to mind.

1. Antimagic Ray- shoot the shape changer and if it fails a will save, he can't alter self or cast magic, if a caster.

2. Church Inquisitor's Force Shapechange class feature- touch the shifter and "dispel" his ability to shape shift for 1d6 rounds. Usable at will.

3. Anti Magic Field- walk up to the shape changer and all (Su) abilities will be suppressed.

I am sure there are more efficient ways, but those three off the top of my head.

avr
2016-04-29, 11:02 PM
If the shapechanger is a lycanthrope, there's a couple of specific spells - countermoon and moonbeam.

Ruby ray of reversal will work more generally to force a change back. All of these are in the spell compendium and most likely a couple of other places too.

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-30, 01:28 AM
Kill it.

(8910)

Jeff the Green
2016-04-30, 01:39 AM
Force shapechange, from RoE, does 3d10 damage, forces them into their normal form, and keeps them there for 1 round/level. It works on anything with the shapechanger subtype or with an Ex or Su ability to change form, which includes druids even if they're not currently in wildshape.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-30, 08:40 AM
I seem to recall a weapon in the DMG that is extra-effective against shapeshifters - I think it forces them to return to their natural form.

atemu1234
2016-05-04, 10:12 PM
Force shapechange, from RoE, does 3d10 damage, forces them into their normal form, and keeps them there for 1 round/level. It works on anything with the shapechanger subtype or with an Ex or Su ability to change form, which includes druids even if they're not currently in wildshape.

Niche, but highly useful. I'd build traps of it, if I was the king of a place.

Telonius
2016-05-04, 10:45 PM
I seem to recall a weapon in the DMG that is extra-effective against shapeshifters - I think it forces them to return to their natural form.

Shifter's Sorrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shiftersSorrow). Will save or return to the original form.

Seward
2016-05-05, 02:02 PM
Kill it.

(8910)
or knock it out.

some other options - most are enchantment school

charm it and tell it not to shapeshift or ask it to change back to base form
suggestion (to do something other than shapeshift, or to shift back to base form)
confusion (and attack it, so all it can do is attack you next round)
Command Approach, Flee or Freeze (prevents all actions)
turn it to stone
daze or stun it
hideous laughter
stick a fear or panicked condition on it

basically anything that prevents nonphysical actions (eg, paralysis won't work, although how being a paralyzed cat instead of a paralyzed human helps is unclear, since your type doesn't normally change)