PDA

View Full Version : Constructs and antimagic.

frogglesmash
2016-04-29, 09:58 PM
Why don't constructs stop working in anti magic/null magic zones? I'm looking for a plausible fluff explanation, not a RAW explanation.

Malimar
2016-04-29, 10:02 PM
I've heard some constructs are powered by trapped elementals, who obviously don't stop existing in an antimagic zone.

Others, like warforged, have souls of their own, which also don't stop existing in an antimagic zone.

frogglesmash
2016-04-29, 10:07 PM
I've heard some constructs are powered by trapped elementals, who obviously don't stop existing in an antimagic zone.

Others, like warforged, have souls of their own, which also don't stop existing in an antimagic zone.

Some constructs, like the warforged, are technically alive and this explains their immunity to antimagic, but golems, nimblewrights, and other constructs powered would almost certainly stop working if the magic binding the elementals to them was suppressed.

Afgncaap5
2016-04-29, 11:29 PM
I've always seen anti-magic fields as suppressing certain kinds of magic rather than all magic. (If you go the "magic is just advanced science" route that some people do, it might be worth pointing out that static shocks and eyesight don't cease functioning in such fields, but that really does require a certain kind of game mentality.)

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-30, 01:25 AM
On the same note, it should also shut down most undead and dragons too, if not outright kill them.

Deophaun
2016-04-30, 01:35 AM
It's magic. If we knew why it worked or didn't work, it would be science.

frogglesmash
2016-04-30, 01:52 AM
On the same note, it should also shut down most undead and dragons too, if not outright kill them.

Undead are initially animated by magic, but their existence after that is powered by negative energy, not magic. At least that's how I've always understood it to work. I'm not exactly sure why you think it would stop dragons from working though, sure they have many magical abilities, but they're not exactly animated by arcane forces.

Inevitability
2016-04-30, 04:50 AM
Undead are initially animated by magic, but their existence after that is powered by negative energy, not magic. At least that's how I've always understood it to work. I'm not exactly sure why you think it would stop dragons from working though, sure they have many magical abilities, but they're not exactly animated by arcane forces.

If you're okay with undead being animated by magic but not needing magic after that, why can't you assume the same for constructs?

Florian
2016-04-30, 04:56 AM
Why don't constructs stop working in anti magic/null magic zones? I'm looking for a plausible fluff explanation, not a RAW explanation.

A construct, once created, is entirely self-powered and self-contained. The ways and means to house the soul/outsider that powers it also shields the construct from dead magic areas and keeps it functioning.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-30, 05:08 AM
Certain forms of supernatural effects that -aren't- what the game normally refers to as "magic" simply aren't effected by antimagic fields or DMZ's; the elemental nature of elementals and dragons, the idea-made-flesh of most outsiders, deific power, and the animating force of constructs. There's not really a "why" to be had in this circumstance. This is simply a thing that just is, like it or not.

Andezzar
2016-04-30, 06:53 AM
It's magic. If we knew why it worked or didn't work, it would be science.Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

J-H
2016-04-30, 07:45 AM
Obligatory OOTS link (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html)

Necroticplague
2016-04-30, 07:55 AM
Easy: Line of effect issues. The animating force for constructs is in their center. Thus, their outer layer of material blocks the emnation of an AMF.
Same for corporeal undead. Their animating force is inside their body, so their own flesh and bones stop the AMF from getting at their animating force. Incorporeal undead, however, don't have anything solid enough to block an emnation, thus why they go *poof* in an AMF.

Inevitability
2016-04-30, 08:12 AM
Easy: Line of effect issues. The animating force for constructs is in their center. Thus, their outer layer of material blocks the emnation of an AMF.
Same for corporeal undead. Their animating force is inside their body, so their own flesh and bones stop the AMF from getting at their animating force. Incorporeal undead, however, don't have anything solid enough to block an emnation, thus why they go *poof* in an AMF.

How about the incorporeal Prismatic Golem?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-30, 08:38 AM
How about the incorporeal Prismatic Golem?Various non-instantaneous prismatic spells block antimagic fields (see wall and sphere), so the same could be said for the aforementioned golem. The spells that block AMFs can't move once created, so there's no way to tell how they would react in a dead magic zone, but it's fairly safe to say that, since golems aren't affected (not 'effected') by either in ways that normal creatures aren't, and non-instantaneous prismatic spells block AMFs, it's easily feasible that prismatic golems react the same way in a dead magic zone as they do in an AMF.

OldTrees1
2016-04-30, 09:36 AM
Energy is not magical unless being currently manipulated by magic(as a spell, enchantment, etc). This explains how Living creatures, Undead, and Constructs don't all fall down when inside an Anti Magic Field or Dead Magic Zone.

Morcleon
2016-04-30, 10:07 AM
In order to answer this question, it is first necessary to refine the definition of magic with respect to antimagic fields. The First Form of Magic is overt, unstable, and often flashy. This manifests itself in the form of spell, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities, as well as magic items created from these abilities. The Second Form of Magic is pervasive and simply cannot be removed from the world except through massive effort. This is the innate magic of creatures larger than their physical body should be able to hold and of the fantastical elementals and other magical beings.

The spell antimagic field is only capable of smoothing out the wrinkles that allow for the First Form to exist, but is incapable to doing anything to the Second Form, since this magic is the smoothness of reality that the spell creates.

Duke of Urrel
2016-04-30, 02:12 PM
In order to answer this question, it is first necessary to refine the definition of magic with respect to antimagic fields. The First Form of Magic is overt, unstable, and often flashy. This manifests itself in the form of spell, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities, as well as magic items created from these abilities. The Second Form of Magic is pervasive and simply cannot be removed from the world except through massive effort. This is the innate magic of creatures larger than their physical body should be able to hold and of the fantastical elementals and other magical beings.

The spell antimagic field is only capable of smoothing out the wrinkles that allow for the First Form to exist, but is incapable to doing anything to the Second Form, since this magic is the smoothness of reality that the spell creates.

Let me say to everyone that I have really enjoyed reading this thread. It represents some of the best creative thinking in the spirit of the rules of the game that I have encountered in this always excellent forum!

I like Morcleon's distinction, but I would like to propose different terminology.

When magic is created, whether by casting a spell, activating a magic item, or using a spell-like or supernatural ability, it becomes what I call actual magic. An Antimagic Field can inhibit the creation, or actualization, of magic; in other words, it can inhibit the change from potential to actual magic. So "actual magic" is the term that I would prefer to use for Morcleon's "First Form" of magic.

Every creature capable of creating magic has potential magic, I believe, but this is unaffected by any Antimagic Field (even though potential magic in the form of spellcasting ability or a spell-like ability is detectable by the Arcane Sight spell). In other words, an Antimagic Field can stop a creature from casting spells or from using a spell-like or supernatural ability, but it doesn't take away any one of these magical powers, that is, does not take away the potential magic that the creature possesses. As soon as a magical creature leaves an Antimagic Field, it can use its magical powers once again. So "potential magic" is the term that I would prefer to use for Morcleon's "Second Form" of magic.

We can distinguish two types of actual magic. For example, supernatural magic differs from what I call natural magic because it cannot be detected with the Detect Magic spell and is never called a "spell," so that it is unaffected by anything that affects exclusively spells.

We can also distinguish three modes of actual magic. When actual magic has a physical or at least perceivable effect on the world, it is active. When it has no effect other than to be detectable by the Detect Magic spell, it is captive. For example, a spell contained in a magic wand is captive, that is, nonfunctional but still detectable as a full magic aura, until the wand is activated and the spell is discharged from it, at which moment the spell becomes active. When an active spell expires, it becomes residual and is detectable only in the form of a reduced magic aura. Similarly, when an active spell is suppressed, for example inside an Antimagic Field, it becomes either captive or residual magic (it is hard to say which, because it is not detectable), but the magic activates itself again as soon as the Antimagic Field is withdrawn, provided that it does not expire sooner.

If the potential magic that a magical creature possesses cannot be actualized, then how can the creature survive? I believe others have already answered this question. Some creatures are simply powered internally by preter-natural forces that are not subject to suppression by the Antimagic Field spell – which is of course not all-powerful, considering that it cannot suppress even the actual (and natural) magical functions of an artifact. These preter-natural forces include the negative energy that animates Undead and the elemental energy that animates Constructs.