PDA

View Full Version : offensive magic items(mic and srd only)

Monk of love
2016-04-30, 12:58 AM
Before I search through both the books item by item does anyone know of any magic items that are offensive in nature? reserve feats are not in play so something that allows constant damage throughout the day preferable in a ranged touch style or aoe

Venger
2016-04-30, 01:10 AM
Before I search through both the books item by item does anyone know of any magic items that are offensive in nature? reserve feats are not in play so something that allows constant damage throughout the day preferable in a ranged touch style or aoe

Are there any specific features that you're looking for? energy damage, status effects, etc. what kind of character is this going to be going on? there's lots that fit these criteria.

Gildedragon
2016-04-30, 01:17 AM
The most basic one i can think of is... well the +1 weapon; followed by wands...

Monk of love
2016-04-30, 02:39 AM
Elemental damage preferable a touch attack or aoe as my bonus to hit sucks

Khedrac
2016-04-30, 03:46 AM
If you are open to Frostburn as a book then an Icicle Rod allows unlimited Ray of Frost, it's pathetic damage, but it is damage.

Less useful (as they require a conventional attack roll) from MIC the Gloves of Endless Javelins create 1-round javelins at will allowing for attacks every round.
Most of the "create a magical damage effect" items from the MIC are limited to a number of times per day (to limit how powerful they are) so it is not actually a good source for these

Looking at the DMG oddly a Rod of Wonder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#wonder) might be your best bet for constant damage, unlimited charges, however the damage is not always damage.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-30, 04:01 AM
You're DM may or may not frown on it, but a wand of elemental dart will get you all of what you want. Decent range? Check. Elemental attacks (which you select each round from the standard four elements of acid, fire, electricity and water)? Check. Ranged touch attack? Check. Decent enough damage? Check. Multiple attacks? Check. If you're DM doesn't like it, you can point out that the damage isn't all that much better than a standard mighty composite longbow.

Necroticplague
2016-04-30, 05:45 AM
I think there's a glove in MIC that gives you Ray of Frost at-will. Damage is nothing to write home about, though. Uldra Glove, IIRC.

Darrin
2016-04-30, 07:06 AM
I think there's a glove in MIC that gives you Ray of Frost at-will. Damage is nothing to write home about, though. Uldra Glove, IIRC.

But very good for sneak attacking.

Aberrant Sphere (2800 GP, MIC). Summons a choker, a grick, or a carrion crawler... and they can grapple, which is kinda a touch attack.

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Large Monstrous Scorpion (700 GP, MIC). As with the Aberrant Sphere, another good grappler. Note the errata changed the size to large.

Bag of Flames (3500 GP, MIC). Spend charges for several fire-based effects, one of which is produce flame (1 minute duration or 10 uses).

Blast Disk (900 GP, MIC). Singe use land mine, 5d6 fire damage with 10' burst (Ref DC 14 half).

Blast Globes (8000 GP, MIC). Single use 1/day (reusable!), throw up to 400', explodes for 10d6 fire damage (Ref save), 2d6 sonic damage (Fort save), and pushes creatures 1d6 squares away. However, this is nerfed from the original Magic of Faerun version, which included a disintegrate effect, so not really worth it.

Chime of Harmonic Agony (3100 GP, MIC). 3/day spend one use of bardic music to do 3d6 + Cha bonus sonic damage to any creature within 30' (Fort DC 16 half).

Dragon's Draught (1200-5500 GP, MIC). Single use, various types of breath weapons.

Exploding Spike (1500 GP, MIC). Single use land mine, bigger version of blast disk, 10d6 fireball with 20' burst (Ref DC 15 half).

Globe of Sunlight (6000 GP, MIC). Single use, throw up to 50' for a sunburst effect, 6d6 fire damage with 40' burst plus blindess (Ref DC 22 half/partial), or 15d6 damage to undead.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). 3/day convert any 1st level spell into pew-pew magic missile.

Gloves of Flame (7000 GP, MIC). Endure elements, cold resistance 5, and you can "scorch" 5/day, which is a 15' cone of 5d4 fire damage (Ref DC 11 half).

Gloves of Lightning (2000 GP, MIC). 3/day ranged touch attack to do 1d8+5 electricity damage.

Harrow Rod (14000 GP, MIC). 3/day 30' cone of 9d6 acid damage (Ref DC 17 half).

Hammersphere (1500 GP, MIC). Spiritual weapon 1/day, not a ranged touch attack but a good fire-and-forget item to have around.

Helm of Wounding Sight (6500 GP, MIC). 3/day 60' cone of 2d6 fire damage plus blinding (Ref DC 20 half/partial).

Icy Strand of the North (2500 GP, MIC). Throw ice crystals up to 80' for an ice storm or sleet storm effect. Oddly enough, the text does not specify that these crystals are single-use, or that using all of them renders the Icy Strand useless, so... there's an argument that by RAW you can pick up the crystals and use them again.

Lens of the Desert (20000 GP, MIC). 3/day sunbeam effect, CL 13 so four "beams" (60' lines) of 4d6 untyped damage plus blindness (Ref DC 17 half/partial), or undead/fungi/mold/ooze/slimes take 13d6 damage per beam.

Mithral Bells (3700 GP, MIC). Eleven bells that can be thrown up to 40' for a 1d8 sound burst.

Ring of Lightning Flashes (11500 GP, MIC). 5d6 electricity damage in a 5' burst (Ref DC 13 half), but if any creature is in physical contact with you, no save.

Rod of Frost (1400 GP, MIC). 3/day 30' line, 2d6 cold damage (Ref DC 14 half).

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). Faerie fire effect that does 25d6 electricity damage as an AOE, no save.

Storm Gauntlets (10604 GP, MIC). Spend charges for some electricty-based effects, one of which is lightning bolt.

Strand of Acid Pearls (10700 GP, MIC). Eight pearls of different sizes, 3d6/5d6/7d6 acid damage in a 20' cylinder (Ref DC 19 half).

Strand of Lightning (4350 GP, MIC). Seven coils of different sizes, 3d6/5d6/7d6 electricity damage in a 30' line (Ref DC 14 half).

Talon Scepter (10305 GP, MIC). +1 flaming light mace, but also has a swift action 30' ray that does 1d6 fire damage. No daily usage limit, so you can use it every round... wow, that would be nifty for rogues and any other sneak attackers. I CAN HAZ LAZR!

Morcleon
2016-04-30, 07:29 AM
Ask your DM for an at-will item of your choice of offensive spell.

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). Faerie fire effect that does 25d6 electricity damage as an AOE, no save.

For clarification, this 25d6 is split up among the 5/day limit of the ring and deals it in the form of 1d6 damage per round for 5 round.

Sword-Geass
2016-04-30, 10:33 AM

Gloves of the Uldra Savant. I was about to suggest them. Don't know the offensive part of all day long items though.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-04-30, 12:15 PM
Blast Globes (8000 GP, MIC). Single use, throw up to 400', explodes for 10d6 fire damage (Ref save), 2d6 sonic damage (Fort save), and pushes creatures 1d6 squares away. However, this is nerfed from the original Magic of Faerun version, which included a disintegrate effect, so not really worth it.

Great list, but I want to point out, these are 1/day, not single use. Not sure about the MoF version w/ disintigrate, but these are still a decent value since it's reusable.

I'll add the humble Whip feather token, which is great for uses other than dealing damage, like disarming or tripping. Single use, but cheap, and lasts an hour.

Another MIC goodie: Bag of Boulders. It's only 1400 gp, and reusable. 3 charges/day, standard to throw a pebble w/ 50 ft range increment. They deal [1 + charges spent]d6 bludgeoning damage.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-30, 01:46 PM
What class are you? If you're a caster, then a wand or staff may well be your best bet.

Darrin
2016-04-30, 02:44 PM
Great list, but I want to point out, these are 1/day, not single use. Not sure about the MoF version w/ disintigrate, but these are still a decent value since it's reusable.

Did not notice that... great catch!

I'll add the humble Whip feather token, which is great for uses other than dealing damage, like disarming or tripping. Single use, but cheap, and lasts an hour.

I'm a big fan of the whip, although if you want to get technical, it doesn't do any damage if the target has an armor bonus. (Most DMs won't notice or ignore this.) It gets a free grapple, so it's great for setting up sneak attack. And if you're directing it to trip or disarm, then you don't care if it's not doing damage.

I'm also quite fond of the Feather Token: Tree and Swan Boat. Combine those with an Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp, and you can bomb your enemies with 20d6 falling object damage.

Another MIC goodie: Bag of Boulders. It's only 1400 gp, and reusable. 3 charges/day, standard to throw a pebble w/ 50 ft range increment. They deal [1 + charges spent]d6 bludgeoning damage.

Yeah, I skipped that one because they were looking for rays/ranged touch attacks/AoEs. But still offensive.