PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Strategy for Mud Sorcerer (Princes of the Apocalypse)

Yosefat
2016-04-30, 02:37 AM
Hello, im DMing Princes of the Apocalypse with a party of lv8-9 players in the Temple of the Black Earth. Im revised the encounters and to procede with the adventure they need to defeat the sub-leaders of the resident temple to stop future reinforcements if the Cult of the Black Earth and find the access to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

The 2nd in comand of the Cult is a Earth Genasi "Mud Sorcerer" CR6 that have a weakened Stone Golem (Less HP and no multiattack, CR4) to help in the battle, but im not sure of the strategy that mud sorcerer must use with their spells.
Spellcasting: 11lv spelcaster (CHA). DC 15, +7 Hit.
Cantrips: acid splash, blade ward, friends, light, message, mold earth
1st level: chromatic orb, mage armor, magic missile,
2nd level: maximilian's earthen grasp, shatter, suggestion
3rd level: counterspell, erupting earth
4th level: polymorph, stoneskin
5th level: wall of stone
6th level: move earth

The mud sorcerer know that have enemy nearby, but no time to call reinforcements, then i was thought is that the fight starts with mage armor casted, also the enemies know (by failed attempts to murder the players) that adventurers are equipped with magical weapons which stoneskin would be irrelevant. I thought of putting a stone wall with slits arrow with the golem from one side of the room with the adventurers and the other side to be able to cast spells as erupting earth / shatter and counterspell.
A variant would add sacred stone monks (CR 1/2) then use one polymorph becoming a mmamoth with polymorph or the room have mud or irregular ground (to make dificult terrain wich they can skip for they racial ability "Earth Walk".
Any ideas for this boss batle?

Blue Lantern
2016-04-30, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't polymorph a target to a form of higher CR.