PDA

View Full Version : improved touch of golden ice

randomguyonfire
2007-06-24, 03:18 PM
I play a monk character and I took the touch of golden ice feat. However I have noticed that pretty much everything we fight can easily make the dc 14 con save required to ignore it. So I have been thinking about maybe making an improved version of the feat. There are a few ways I’ve been thinking about doing it, one way would be to make the dc 14 + your con modifier. Another would be to add half your character level, or maybe just add a static modifier to the dc. What do you guys think?

Fizban
2007-06-24, 07:15 PM
Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus), +2 DC on the chosen special attack.

randomguyonfire
2007-06-24, 07:21 PM
i don't think that touch of golden ice qualifies as a special attack

brian c
2007-06-24, 09:18 PM
By RAW, it's questionable. Ask your DM though and he might allow it.

Fizban
2007-06-24, 09:50 PM
Well, it would go under the special attacks part of a stat block, just like turning and spellcasting, so it's a special attack. Special attack is one of the barely defined terms of DnD, used for pretty much anything that's offensive but not a basic attack.

It's a matter of semantics, depending on how the touch of golden ice feat is worded.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-24, 10:17 PM
More importantly would a +2 make a difference beyond maybe a level or two. Static DCs are by their very nature bound to start failing either sooner or later. Okay you could improve your Con score, but a Monk is stretched on stats as it is. You could wrangle further improvements, but thats much the same problem again. And you can do better for your feats I think.

randomguyonfire
2007-06-25, 11:39 AM
maybe you could modify using monk levels, I think maybe a feat adding half of your monk level would be far to much since it already starts at a dc of 14 and they have to make the save every time you hit them (think flurry of blows) maybe a feat that just adds a quarter of your monk levels?